“Does not feel like "3 star superior" at all” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Algen

Hotel Algen
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Ostersund
München
“Does not feel like "3 star superior" at all”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 January 2014

I stayed one night at the hotel in the middle of November, together with my wife and daughter. The hotel is located relatively close to the city center, which was probably the only good thing about it. After check in (which was not possible before 3 pm) we were disappointed to see the room. With three beds in it, there was almost no space to move. The furniture was really worn down. We were also not happy with the cleanliness of the room (Snus - chewing tobacco on the flower, etc.).
But the biggest problem was that the heating could not be regulated and it was very hot in the room. On two of the panels, the regulator was broken off - on one other panel, it did not work. We talked with the reception about it and they tried to fix it. As they were not able to repair it, we were offered another room - but here exactly the same problem occurred. So we decided to stay in our room and were advised to leave the windows open.
My sleep was not very good, not just because of a mixture of cold wind blowing in and a heating that was operating at full power, also the fact that the curtains were not sufficient to cover all the windows was a problem.
The breakfast next day next day was not bad.
Regarding the high price of 130,- Euro for one night, I have to say that I am really disappointed of the hotel, it was not what I would have expected for this price.
After the stay, I contacted both the hotel and the booking agency and asked for a partial refund, at least for the not proper working heating. After a week, I got an answer from the hotel, which was not really friendly. Here is the mail by the hotel:

"""

I want to thank You for telling me this and I´m so sorry that we couldn´t help you when you were staying at our hotel.
I´m truly sorry that our heat didn´t work or should I say that it worked to good? It´s not easy to get someone to fix that kind of problems over a night in our country. However that’s not your problem. Of course I can give you a refound because of the heat problems and I can also pay you back 25% of the price but when You say that the hotel is not a three star superior I have to ask my self I You are onest? We do have problems with people who is just trying to get money back because otherwise they can write bad things about us at the internet booking systems. That is not Ok so I am asking You on what grounds to You say that it´s not a threestar hotel superior. For a start I can tell You that room number 201 was renovated just one year ago. So please let me know.

If you please can tell me this then we can discuss your refound."

"""

I have to say I was really a bit insulted that I was indirectly accused to be someone who is blackmailing hotels with bad online ratings just to get a few euros back. A look at my other hotel ratings might make it obvious that this is not the case. By the way, I answered the mail but never heard anything again - of course I also got no refunds.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank michi0787

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Brisbane, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

We stayed at the Hotel Algen for 2 nights on a recent trip through Sweden. The hotel is a very short walk from the train station and not far from the lakefront and Ostersund town centre, which was very convenient. The room we had was spacious, but a bit dated and dusty. It made for a comfortable sleep however and the included breakfast buffet was good, with both hot and cold options. Breakfast starts at 6:30am, which was good for us as we were leaving on an early morning train. The staff were all very helpful and spoke perfect English, which makes things easy. Overall we would recommend staying at Hotel Algen if you want somewhere simple and relatively inexpensive to stay for a night or two in Ostersund.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ShaneAndRobbie
Trondheim, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2012

Cheap but decent hotel in Östersund. Centrally located, in the town centre. Main plaza 5 minutes away on foot. Train station 2 minutes away. Nice alternative for the budget traveler. Varm rooms in winter. Nice buffet breakfast and excellent service.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank oyvindei
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2012

We were greeted in a very friendly manner when we arrived after a half-day train ride from Stockholm. The rooms are a bit like motel-rooms, but are clean and of an adequate size. The hotel has a pleasant and inexpensive evening buffet for guests and wi-fi and a computer are available for no extra charge. The hotel is only a few hundred metres from the railway station, which was very handy when we caught the early morning Inlandsbanen. The staff gave us a breakfast bag to see us on our way as we had to leave early, but even so, tea and coffee were available early. Try not to miss, at the other end of town, the wonderfully appointed museum with Viking tapestries over 10 centuries old.

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Colorado Springs, Colorado, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a week because of business. The two girls behind the front desk took such wonderful care of me. They both spoke english, so there was no language barrier. The breakfast buffett was absolutly beautiful! This was my first time in Sweden, and I had no idea what to expect with the food. I am also vegitarian, so this often makes things difficult. There was plenty for me to choose from. One afternoon, I came back from a long walk, tired and hungry. But it was before dinner. They offered me a hot bowl of soup and some fresh bread to warm me. They went out of the way to make sure I was happy. On my way to the airport, I left after breakfast was served, They sent me out the door with fresh juice and apples for my taxi ride. The room was neatly made every day. The bed was very comfortable and warm. Very Clean, very friendly. I loved this hotel. I will stay here again when in Ostersund!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Sweden
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2011

Small rooms, a bit dark but had every thing I needed. Good breakfast (cereals, pancakes, bread, apples, juice etc.). Nice and friendly staff. Wireless WiFi that worked! A sauna if one had the time for that.

My room faced the back yard so I didn't hear cars etc. A bit noisy from the corridor so you might want to bring earplugs.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled on business
Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2011

We stayed here for an afternoon and evening en route to Trondheim. I have to say the hotel was not quite what we were expecting for the price. It had a motel type feel to it and the room was rather dark and basic. That said, the bar was fine and the breakfast okay.

On arrival we were charged again for a pre-paid reservation. Although this was sorted out very efficiently, it should not have happened, so be careful.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple