“Convenient overnight stay”

Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Kiruna
GTA
“Convenient overnight stay”
Reviewed 15 February 2014 via mobile

Room was clean, but simple. View of the mine was good. Staff were friendly and helpful. Included breakfast was excellent. Relatively expensive, but understandable because of the location? Unable to provide a receipt on checkout because of computer problems. Had to send a request a few days later in order to get this emailed to me.

Stayed January 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
The Netherlands
Reviewed 27 January 2014

Scandic Ferrum is a nice basic hotel. The room is basic with all of the usual. The Bathroom was very nice and spacious.
The bar downstairs is crowded during the weekend as all the local gather here.
The only downpart was the temperature in our room: much too high. As we stayed here during December, all heating was turned on to the max.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KristaTheNetherlands
Dover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 January 2014

Myself my son and my daughter stayed here 27-31 Dec 13, rooms were clean and very comfortable. The bathroom and shower was lovely. There was no extra bed on arrival as booked, but within minutes of advising reception one appeared. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was AMAZING and kept us going most of the day, you can even cook your own waffles, there was bacon beans eggs and plenty of fruit, bread, meats, cheeses , cereal, yogurts and drinks. It was very central and minutes walk from Kiruna Guidtur where we had a few trips booked.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Lisajfraser
Lisa F, Front Office Manager at Scandic Ferrum, responded to this review, 23 January 2014
THANK YOU for your great review about our hotel and Kiruna. I´m happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and got great service. We´re looking forward to see you again the next time you plan to visit Kiruna. Best regards, Lisa
Prague, Czech Republic
Reviewed 8 January 2014

This is a typical hotel you will find in Sweden with its pros and contras - very simple design with a typical "do it yourself" style you learn in IKEA shops. You should not expect anything extra, this is just a lodging place (bed and breakfast type) for those coming to Kiruna. Our room was overlooking some building, I suggest you request a room overlooking an iron-ore mine (funny enough offers some good views). They have a restaurant and a bar, both are reasonably good (you should consider a fact that there are almost no places to eat around, we did not find any at least). We did not use a Sauna and actually did not know where is it. Nobody offered us any info on check-in and I did not see any information anywhere. But we heard it must had been somewhere in the hotel. The hotel is next to the Nordic Visitor Info center where you can get all your trips sorted and organised.

Room Tip: Our room was overlooking some building, I suggest you request a room overlooking an iron-ore mine (f...
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with family
Karlholmsbruk, Sweden
Reviewed 4 January 2014

I'm staying here for two nights and can say that the room is spacious and the bed is comfortable. The room interior is rather simple, but it has some nice features like a heated floor in the bathroom and a bathtub (quite a luxury in the time when saving energy is crucial).
There is a sauna on the top of the building with a great view towards the mine, I enjoyed relaxing there at the end of the day after a day of outdoor activities.
The breakfast is OK - the selection of food is impressive, but the quality is not outstanding which can be justified by Kiruna's distant location.
The steakhouse on the ground floor doesn't look too attractive and the prices are hight (which is normal for Sweden, meat IS expensive here).
Ladies at the reception are helpful, but the service seems to be a bit inconsistent.
And surpassingly they don't have double beds, only twins!
If I come to Kiruna again, I'd try something else just to see what other hotels offer.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms in the corner of the building, you'll get views to both sides!
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Pavel M
hong kong
Reviewed 23 December 2013

Brrr. This hotel is overlooking the huge iron-ore mine in a city that is being moved away because it is starting to crack!? Not to worry, the place is quite cozy, typical Scandinavian: clean, sensible and nicely located with a sweet little village to shop,dine and party a little.

Breakfast is quite good, excellent selection of nice meats/cheeses and eggs, bacon, wonderful breads and fruit, juices. The staff puts it all out there and you just help yourself, they don't police the place like some buffets. Only complaint? They pick up some items at 9am, which seems a little early particularly since it is dark as spades at that hour this time of year.

We hired a taxi and they are quite expensive; Just to get to the airport was 350 SEK and to the Icehouse village, the same. The cab drivers, like everyone else I have met are quite fluent in englis and take a personal interest in telling you all about their town, their civic pride is second to none, I was quite taken by the friendliness of folks here. This stay is because of work but I feel very happy to be spending a white Christmas with these wonderful people in this beautiful place.

I could nitpick and say there is no minibar or refrigerator in the rooms but there also was a nice clean smell in my room and the bath tub was the cleanest I have ever seen in my life!! The beds, again, like Scandinavia are quite small and I needed all the pillows in the room to make it work but I got a nice nights rest with no back pain. What more could you ask for? Good job Scandic Ferrum!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank twodoggzz
Thank you for your response about your stay in Kiruna and at Scandic Ferrum! I´m happy to hear that you had a great visit and we hope to see you here again soon! Best regards, Lisa
Dublin
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I had requested a room with a view prior to arriving at the hotel. When we got to our room after checking in we realised that it overlooked the town. I went back to reception and requested to change rooms. Luckily there was a room available overlooking the mines. It was far, far, better to have such a nice view and made me like the hotel even more. The room was a good size, clean, and right in the centre of town. It is a bit of a hike uphill from the train station so if you have a few bags / small children / or generally not very fit I would recommend a taxi. I had requested a room with a view prior to arriving at the hotel. When we got to our room after checking in we realised that it overlooked the town. I went back to reception and requested to change rooms. Luckily there was a room available overlooking the mines. It was far, far, better to have such a nice view and made me like the hotel even more. The room was a good size, clean, and right in the centre of town. It is a bit of a hike uphill from the train station so if you have a few bags / small children / or generally not very fit I would recommend a taxi.

Room Tip: Ask for a view toward the mine
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kiruna
Camp Ripan
#6 of 8 in Kiruna
Hotel Samegarden
Hotel Samegarden
#5 of 8 in Kiruna

Been to Scandic Ferrum? Share your experiences!