“Complete Rip Off”

Mattarahkka - Northern Light Lodge
Reviewed 15 February 2014

I have not had a holiday in 3 years and was really looking forward to seeing the Northern Lights and having a relaxing...pampered time. Paying £230 a night my wife and I thought we would get this after reading trip advisor for the reviews on this hotel. How wrong we were.
This is the most expensive hotel I have ever paid for with very little in return. No clean towels unless you ask. Never clean the room, because they say its against the law ....and snow comes in from the outside, and said we expect you to put a towel down infront of the door...and never touched the beds...no toilet paper....and you have to make your own fire!! Errh?
unless you book all their facilities in advance....snow mobile ride, husky sledge, Sauna and hot tub....at an extra £120 per person each....on top of your £230 a night
The breakfast is good if you can eat Salami, ham, and soft cheese for breakfast. and 3 tiny pieces of salmon....but you better get in fast as it goes like gold dust!!
They will not look after you, if you just want to see only the Northern lights like us. They want your money only....and if you are a vegetarian forget it!!
They then pretend to not understand English....and give you rations on very little. They put outside guests first before the guests who stay.
If you can stand the same CD playing day in day out....no change at all the 24 /7 then be my guest. We will never set foot back there!!
WASTE OF MONEY....WASTE OF ENERGY.....The manager MIKO said he learn't his experience by staying in the YMCA.....That says it all.
GO TO CAMP RIPPON...
We stayed at Mattarahkka 6 nights and I would say stay 1-2 nights only.....Before you get sucked into there money grabbing ways!
WILL NEVER GO BACK & WILL NEVER HAVE A GOOD WORD TO SAY ABOUT THE COMPLETE RIP OFF HOTEL.
THEY ARE NOT INTERESTED IN IMPROVING....we even had a meeting on our last day with Miko, all he said was OK I will see what I can do!! We have not had any compensation for a really bad experience.
WE HAVE TO MOVE ON.....BUT JUST TELL THE REST OF YOU GUYS WHO WANT A NICE RELAXING HOLIDAY IN LAPLAND.......DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
18  Thank wayne m

Reviewed 5 February 2014

I booked to take my husband on a surprise 50th birthday trip to Swedish Lapland via Weekend al a Carte. After much consideration I opted to stay at the Mattarhakka Lodge for the duration of our stay (3 nights). We had a fantastic time and were really well looked after by all the great staff there. It's quite a simple building set away from all the lights in Kiruna therefore giving guests the best chance of viewing the lights if they make an appearance and a feeling of remoteness. The rooms, although a little on the small size, give you everything you need, are spotlessly clean, the beds are blissfully comfortable and warm. Loved the slippers they provide you which was a nice touch. Just outside the bedrooms is a comfortable lounge area with wood burner so you can just relax there. As many others have said, its a very friendly and laid back place. The food is good but drinks are pricey. We took both snow mobile and dog sled trips which were great fun - the landscape is just like Narnia. The Ice Hotel is not to be missed but on reflection we are happy not to have booked a night there. It has to be seen and the Ice Bar for cocktails was totally memorable. The open air hot tub on the roof is a superb experience and we were blessed with a totally mesmerising display from there. We also took the evening tour to Abisko which we really enjoyed. If you like to see the stars it's definitely not to be missed - just amazing to see. The sky station is a nice place to spend the evening, great food and surprisingly warm and cosy. The outdoor clothing provided to us was brilliant but do be sure to take plenty of layers. We had a second night of the lights so were really happy.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Joanne C
Reviewed 3 February 2014

I have never struggled to write a review as much as I am struggling to write this one! This is due to my very mixed feelings about this hotel, and this is partly down to the price that is charged for this hotel, I paid £ 230.00 for one night.
I stayed at Mattarahkka Northern Lights lodge for one night at the end on January 2014. Having arrived into Kiruna on the 16:35 flight from Stockholme, picked up a hire car and as the lodge is a short 10 to 15 min drive from Kiruna arrived at around 18.00.
The room I was given was very small, but functional with a small seating area on the mezzanine floor. The room was very clean and warm. You were also given slippers, a nice touch. The décor was a modern, Ikea look.
When I asked about the timings for dinner it transpired that I had failed to read the small print on the booking that states ‘Dinner must be booked at least 1 day in advance’. The host politely gave me directions as to how to locate the restaurants in Kiruna. When I returned from the Thai restaurant in Kiruna, another hotel guest was eating a takeaway from the same place. Four people had eaten in the Lodge and were sat next to the roaring log fire, but they were not hotel guests, they were using the Hotel as a restaurant.
I asked about the Hot Tub and was told that the hot tub had to be booked 24 hours in advance, and it was an additional charge. But I couldn’t use it tonight as a ‘private party’ from outside the hotel was using it. I asked the location of the Sauna, to be informed that that was also being used by the private party tonight, so once again it was not available to me.
I tried to log on to the WiFi, but the signal was very weak. I was advised that the signal in poor in this part of Sweden. The next morning I spotted the router at the other end of the building, near to the dining area and had not problem logging on whilst sat near to the router.
So I really feel that Hotel Guests, especially ones just staying one night and not doing any activities do not really get the most out of this hotel. I object to the Hotel advertising the facilities of the hot tub and sauna when they are not really run of the mill facilities but addition extras that you have to book in advance.
In the morning the breakfast that was served was very well presented and tasty. The staff were very polite and pleasant. I just really feel that this hotel is not value for money and if you are only staying for one night would recommend staying in a cheaper hotel in Kiruna itself.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Tula45
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Well what can I say about our tip to Swedish Lapland, 2 words – Absolutely Brilliant !
First of all, our tour operator - Weekend al a carte, the staff were brilliant, explained everything clearly and precisely and our calls and queries were answered promptly. Kevin and his team certainly know how to look after their clients.
And I would highly recommend Weekend al a carte to anyone I meet and have done !!

We chose the 4 night New Year in Lapland break 29th Dec – 2nd Jan 2014
We also upgraded to stay at the Máttaráhkká Lodge – which I would highly recommend, defiantly worth the extra.
Mikko and his family were fantastic hosts, it was like staying with friends in your own Hotel. It’s a 7 bedroom totally private lodge, Breakfast available promptly every morning – unlimited Tea / Coffee / sweets / biscuits all day & night.
Everyone went out of their way at the Lodge and on the trips to make sure that everyone was catered for.
My Mother & father-in law couldn’t drive the snowmobiles or Husky dog sled, but our guides Mike / Casper / Nils made sure that they still enjoyed the whole experience by hooking up a little covered snow cart to tow behind the snow mobiles
And arranged for guides to drive them on the dog sled. Nothing was too much trouble.

We had a fantastic trip. We did get to see the Northern Lights on the last night, again our guides Mike / Casper were on the ball by monitoring the internet to see the best area to see the lights, They drove us to Abisko approx 50 mins drive away,
And we managed to see the lights for about 2 hours on our last evening, again a brilliant way to finish our trip.
I cannot say enough about this trip, from Mikko and his family & the guides at the Máttaráhkká Lodge to the Ice hotel trip. Everything was perfect !
I don’t think I could improve on the trip. The stop-over in Stockholm waiting for the connecting flight is the only little thing I could mention, but better to make the connection than miss your fantastic holiday that awaits you in Kiruna.
You must do this trip !!

Steve & Linda

Room Tip: Upgraded to stay at the Máttaráhkká Lodge
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Womble62
Reviewed 26 January 2014

Love this place for many reasons. Great managers and staff, fantastic location, fab snowmobile trips (I did two trips on 2 days on the mountains with Kasper), amazing light and sky colours all day of pastel blues and pinks and yellows this time of the year (I am talking about the daytime) - it is not dark contrary to popular belief!!!

Room Tip: All the rooms are fantastic and hotel location means you can see the northern lights from your bedro...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 January 2014

While the rooms are quite small and basic, though clean and containing all you need, it is the staff with their efficient and personal caring service that makes this a great place to stay. The food is delicious too. Highly recommended.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 January 2014

We only stayed for two nights and days but what an awesome place. Very cosy and homely. Ideal for couples and singles. Very attentive staff and always lovely to get in from the snow and put your feet up in front of the woodburner witha glass of baileys!

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kiruna
Camp Ripan
#4 of 15 in Kiruna
Aurora Camp Kurravaara
Aurora Camp Kurravaara
#9 of 15 in Kiruna

Been to Mattarahkka - Northern Light Lodge? Share your experiences!