“Chalet with view of iron ore mine, but it works”
Review of Camp Ripan

Camp Ripan
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Kiruna
Reviewed 18 February 2014 via mobile

Chalets, with a slightly shambolic restaurant, only 10 minute walk from town centre (very small and limited) saved by proximity to countryside, with skiing trails and shop has reasonable hire rates for skis and many trips

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank spuddybike

Reviewed 17 February 2014

On our second night in Sweden, we stayed in Camp Ripan in a chalet behind the building. There is space to park (we stayed after checking out too) an ultra-modern large reception area (free coffee, sofas, TV - again even after checking out - all good service) and an excellent restaurant reviewed separately, though our breakfast was the biggest choice I've ever seen, all of it fresh and tasty. I really "set myself up for the day" with that !

The rooms were modern, clean, comfortable, with TV, a big double bed (not two twins) and plenty of space with a big bathroom. A good view out into the night sky (but no aurora, just snow). Ten minutes walk into town. Free internet. Friendly staff too.

We wanted to use the spa, but it didn't open until 4pm and was £30 each, or £60 if you wanted a sauna. Surely this could be included ! Overall expensive but worth it.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank shaunsouthern
Reviewed 17 February 2014

We stayed here from 9th to the 12th of February and enjoyed every day of it. The room/cabin we had was very spacious and always clean. The bathroom was decently equipped and the heated floors within the bathroom were a welcome surprise! Though we didn't use the little kitchenette the cabin had, it provided everything one would need to cook a small meal or to make a cup of coffee in the morning. Also after a long day of exploring the surrounding area, the T.V. and free WiFi provided the perfect amount of entrainment to unwind in the evening with. We never got a chance to eat dinner at the camp, but breakfast offered the standard fair of breads, cold cuts, cereals, and a few warm dishes. All in all, the breakfast offered something to please everyone. Finally the staff was always helpful and happy to answer our endless questions about the region and always willing to point out the little extra details which made out trip that much more enjoyable. We would absolutely stay here again should we journey this far north once more.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank williams_joshua
Reviewed 13 February 2014

Overall excellent. Family with two teens stayed in one of the two bedroom cabins. Seem recently renovated and very nice indeed. Very good, wide choice in typically Swedish way breakfast. (We did not eat there in the evening.) We loved being on the northern edge of town - lots of trails for exploring with some great views close to hand, lovely 10-15 minutes walk through beautiful old neighborhood from the tourist office (where the airport bus delivers you) to the hotel.
Minor con - staff uneven with some very friendly and helpful and some very tuned out of appropriate service.
Our daughters did the late afternoon kennel visit at Camp Ripan and loved it. (We used the Husky Voice company for own dogsled outing (pick up from hotel) and that was absolutely super.) The new Camp Ripan spa is fun once. Check out the kick sleds from the activity office - enormous fun. Generally an excellent choice for a trip of this kind.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Texastrips
Reviewed 3 February 2014

We stayed here during our short visit, and Camp Ripan were perfect hosts.
Very friendly staff, clean accomodation, warm and a great stay. would recommend.
They also do airport transfers which is great.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank FarrahDubai
Reviewed 14 January 2014

Thank you Camp Ripan for an amazing experience in Kiruna. Great accommodation, hospitality and really fun well organized activities. Loved it! Would come again in a heartbeat :)

Excellent Breakfast to start your day. It was cold outside, but I was always comfy and warm inside.
Pre book your activities to make sure you can get full benefit of your stay at Camp Ripan.
I asked lots of questions via email and gave them a call also and they were always very helpful.
I arrived late at night and my pickup from the airport was arranged for me. Was so good. Thank you again.

One night I was watching the Northern Lights from my window in my cabin then I decided to put my coat on and go and film them from outside. I didn't even have to leave.the camp. It was and I use this word very rarely "awesome". Sometimes they just appear.

The clothes and equipment provided for outside activities was excellent and the staff/guides are very patient with you. ( when sometimes you don't know how to put something on)

The walk to town is also easy for a look around. Good supermarket and other food shops in town.I found everyone really helpful and friendly. :)

Room Tip: All the rooms/cabins are good, clean and simple design. If you prefer to be closer to the main recep...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Shar O
Reviewed 12 January 2014

The location on the edge of town was fine for us, we had hired a car and don't mind walking .We enjoyed the freedom of our little chalet, basic but fine for the two of us . I was travelling with my adult son.
The food was exceptional . There were wonderful breakfasts ,could not have asked for more .The dinners were very special indeed .Great creative and interesting cooking focussing on local produce. The service could not have been better . All the staff we met were helpful, charming and interesting .
The new spa on site is a real plus , very nice indeed . It's also very convenient that things like the Husky ride (not to be missed ! ) start from camp Ripan.
All in all it suited us very well indeed and I have fond memories as I write this review.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank JOGray20002013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kiruna
Icehotel
#5 of 8 in Kiruna
Hotel Bishops Arms
Hotel Bishops Arms
#1 of 3 in Kiruna

Been to Camp Ripan? Share your experiences!