“A little rustic”

Ranked #12 of 14 Hotels in Umea
Montreal, Canada
“A little rustic”
Reviewed 17 June 2014

The Hotell Pilen is a reasonably good deal in Umea. I was fortunate to have a spacious double room with its own WC, as I'm pretty sure that's not the case for each room. The complementary breakfast is nice with quite a few options. Be aware that it's a 10-15 minute walk to the city centre.

Nevertheless, there are a few low points. The rooms aren't well soundproofed. The washroom is a little creepy including some strange noises and smells. Also, be sure to bring your own soap (they only supply liquid hand soap), kleenex, and iron (there is a common iron in the hallway).

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Isabel P

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
Reviewed 15 June 2014

I am right now in the hotel. I came to Umea for a summer-school-conference. The organiser booked this hotel for participants. My first room was 2.5*2.5 m2, with shared bathroom. There was a small windows without any good view. The window's cover didn't work so I couldn't sleep the first night almost at all. Because it never gets dark. The second day I asked three times to fix the window's cover, but they didn't. So I used a blanket to cover the window for three other nights.
I had to stay one extra night, so I booked a single room with bathroom for tonight. The new room is also very small, with a big window to the court yard which a beautiful view, but the shelter is just a white tissue, when you do your best to make the room dark, it's like a fluorescent lamp is turned on. I don't know how I can sleep tonight.
Staff and reception: The worst Hotel I have ever been. There is no reception after 18 or weekend. So if you have a problem, you can call a number that they give to you but usually nobody answers. It happened that a guy left his room, there was a problem with the door and it got locked, his key was in the room, so he had to sleep in another person's room who fortunately had a double room.
Cleanness: there are enough stains or dust on walls or floor, but sheets are clean.
Worthiness: there are some fun in this hotel, but if I want to compare with standard of Hotel for example in Germany, their rooms are worth between 25 and 45 euros. I cannot believe that I am paying 99 euros for this room. 50 euros would be the most that I could imagine for this room, just because the prices are high in Sweden.

Room Tip: It's slightly better to get a room in one of the red buildings than the gray one.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
5 Thank Chista N

Travellers are raving about these Umea hotels

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 12 June 2014

I really loved the "cosy" look on the website and was really excited with the pretty good reviews I thought "we found a hidden gem!" When we got there it was 3pm after traveling for about 24, I thought it was picturesque, but the inside was not at all as I expected. The washroom smelled and the toilet was SO loud and not a quick loud flush but a loud long pipes crying sound, not to mention the dirty/rusty shower head and the shower that leaked all over the bathroom floor. The bed was two twins pushed together that wouldn't stay together, the furniture wasn't "vintage" or "time pieces" they were just old. The next day I looked forward to the "great" breakfast and "relaxing" jacuzzi, what we got was crackers and some bread, cold lunch meats, and cold corn flakes cereal. The coffee machine was heaven, I'll give them that. When we headed over to the jacuzzi it had a sign that said it was booked for the next few hours and thought we just needed to go up and book the time but after speaking to the reception we found out it coast 2000+ SEK for the two hour reservations; over $300 (the website did state "complementary spa" doesn't complementary mean free?). Needless to say next time I'll got to a slightly more expensive Clarion or Choice where there are no hidden fees and better maintenance on the place.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Jakkie G
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 June 2014 via mobile

A lovely little quaint hotel near city centre and university. Staff were lovely and definitely made you feel welcome. The only downside was the smell from the drain in the bathroom. That aside this was the perfect hotel. Breakfast was good and free waffles and coffee were offered in the afternoons. Shame they had no rooms available on this last night of my stay. If coming back to umea I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank lwmcnab
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 10 February 2014

We booked this hotel because literally every other hotel in Umeå was occupied. We didn't expect much but were really pleasantly surprised! The room was nice and spacious, the staff friendly, the grounds lovely and the breakfast tasty. Apparently they offer complimentary waffles in the afternoon but unfortunately we weren't able to try them this time around. Considering the affordable price I think this hotel has great value!

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank JacobLinda_W
Sweden
Reviewed 24 October 2013

This hotel had gotten 5+ if some not so nice woman had been rude to one of the female personals. I believe that the not so nice woman is either a boss or have an ownership in the hotel. The was no yoghurt which the personals hadn't predicted. Very unprofessional of the not so nice woman.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
West Vancouver
Reviewed 2 October 2013

I stayed here for one night before heading to Vindeln. The grounds are lovely and the room was adequate. The self-check in was super efficient and the breakfast was good. The only downside was the water was not super hot and I love a hot shower when travelling!
The Hotell benefits from being more of a 'house' rather than a hotel. I also appreciated the help yourself system to more towels, tea etc. Thoughtful!
All interactions with staff were good as well!

Room Tip: I did appreciate having my own bathroom!
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business