“Welcomed by the water basin”
Review of Hotel Aveny

Hotel Aveny
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Umea
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Just returned from a trip to cold Umeå. A weather of around -10 degrees by day is terribly cold for someone coming from the southern part of the Mediterranean.

The Aveny Hotel is located in the centre of tiny Umeå, in the main road between the Central Station and the City Hall. The room is rather small, very little space between bed and opposite wall, but served its purpose well, particularly since I had a double bed room on my own. The water basin is outside the bathroom, and is actually the first thing which you face as you enter the room. I find this rather strange, might be a concept but do not really get it… bathroom is therefore made up of toilet and shower. Shower has two options hand held and ceiling stuck huge water shower. Did not try the latter myself as did not really want to wash my hair, yet I believe a hotel shower through this water shower would have been a really nice feeling after a day in the cold.

Breakfast was good. Lobby has a bar which closes rather early in a Saturday night, but hotel has a nearby pub which turns useful. r of trip was paid by the organisers of the meeting (Umea 2014, European Capital of Culture). I paid the last night and paid around € 150 which I find a bit expensive. However I feel it fits well in the overall price levels in Sweden.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank nokkla

Reviewed 13 December 2012

Room a little small but ok, the sink was in the room and the shower and toilet in the bathroom. Some like it and some don`t. Breakfast was good. The gym was very good.
I wouldnt say this is the best in northern Sweden but it was ok and we probably will go there again. Friendly staff.

Room Tip: We got a room just across the elevator door and it was kind of noisy but I didn`t bother to complain...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank August50
Reviewed 15 November 2012

I found this hotel very nice. I enjoyed the design aspect of the hotel, which set it aside from other hotels I've been at lately. The room, eventhough fairly small, felt bigger, and the interior design was to my liking with a spacious feel to it. The bathroom was very efficiently planned. My single room actually held a comfortable couch, which was a nice touche. All in all, the interior of the hotel gave me a happy feel. The location is good, but in such a small city everything is central. I enjoyed the high quality breakfast which was served in a nicely draped room, a bit more interesting than the average dining hall.

To sum up, I was very happy with this hotel!

Room Tip: The elevator can be quite noisy. Get a room a bit away from the elevator if you are easily disturbed...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 October 2012

Having travelled a lot around the world, I must say that this hotel in Northern Sweden is one of the best I have experienced. It has all I ask for in a hotel.

First of all the gym. The hotel is connected to a real gym, which you can use for free - and it is just really convenient and simply perfect! And then there were also two sets of dumbbells and an exercise video in the room, which made me so happy. That is the way to go for a contemporary hotel!

Then the restaurant. I am a difficult guest, since I eat Paleo. But here they were just very understanding, and I got the best food ever, with all the details taken care of. It made me so happy!

And I love the small stuff. Like always having tea and fruits available, etc. And the very sweet attitude from every one who worked there. One employee even offered me to borrow her private gym card, since all were gone for a while. That is service!

And let me say that I travelled in a group of 20, and we were all equally pleased with the hotel; all saying that we have to find reasons to come back to Umeå so that we can stay here again!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
Aveny U, Hotelldirektör at Hotel Aveny, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Many thanks
Mattias Lindberg

Reviewed 17 September 2012

Having stayed at the Aveny for business many times over a period of 2 years, I have to say it was a great little hotel! From the free WiFi to great varied breakfast it was a very pleasant place to call home during the week.

I ate in the restaurant quite a few times and the food was great. The best thing was probably the staff who were always so welcoming and helpful if reservations needed changing or if we needed help with anything.

Definitely the best of the available hotels in Umea!

Room Tip: If it is windy ask not to have a room at the front as the flag pole rattles quite loudly!
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business

Many thanks
Mattias Lindberg

Reviewed 24 August 2012

During our trip to northern Sweden we stayed in this hotel for 1 night. The hotel gave a good impression and the breakfast was specially good with a vast selection of fruit etc. Even though the rooms were chick we found the bathrooms not so good. They were too open, almost as part of the sleeping room with no sound isolation. The gym next door had extremely good equipment.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Mattias L, General Manager at Hotel Aveny, responded to this reviewResponded 27 August 2012

Dear guest. Thank you for feedback. I hope the nothern Sweden treated your well. Sincerely Mattias-Lindberg@profilhotels.se.

Reviewed 21 August 2012 via mobile

It is a nice hotel for business reasons. Clean but small rooms. Free wifi, nice Service staff. I would go there for business reasons again, but not for private. Good breakfast. Fast in the city. Parking costs 100 Kronars

• Stayed: August 2012