“Good but kinda weird”

Ranked #5 of 14 Hotels in Umea
Stockholm, Sweden
“Good but kinda weird”
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I spent one night at this hotel with my fiancé. It was clean, the staff was very friendly and pretty much what we expected after reading the reviews here. I would come back but there are a few things I would like to see improved. For instance, I can't for my life figure out why the bathroom door is transparent and not close all the way up. It looks cool but I'm happy I was sharing a room with my fiancé and not a colleague or someone I didn't know very well. Another tiny thing I noticed was that some one the shampoo and shower gel bottles had been opened and about halfway used. Probably the cleaning crew who messed that up.

Another improvement I would suggest is to put little signs next to the breakfast food listing common allergens (gluten, milk protein, peanuts etc). That would have improved my fiancé's breakfast experience quite a lot. Now we had to ask the staff about every single item we didn't know for sure didn't contain milk or any derivative thereof. The staff did always help us with a smile when we requested dairy free options though.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hassehans

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Finnish first
Vaasa, Finland
Reviewed 28 June 2013

We booked a romantic weekend at this hotel as it was marketed on their homepage. The room was clean and we got a bottle of champagne and robes for an extra cost of 30 euros. But the room was anything but romantic, and the view we had from our junior suite window was over a parking lot. For the price the charge I had hoped for something far greater.

BUT! The breakfast was amazing!!

Room Tip: Unnecessary to pay for junior suite. A standard room is just as good.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Mariehamn, Finland
Reviewed 20 June 2013

Very nice and clean hotel. The best hotel breakfast I have had for many years, good bread, fresh fruit, lots of different juices and tasty and local food.
Room design is a bit different with the washbowl in the entry hall of the room.
Good and soft beds, nothing to complain about.
And the price was decent, much lower than the other hotels in Umeå with similar standard.
Good location just by the bus station. And, yes, dumbbells for your personal training in the room...

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Reviewed 19 June 2013

In the middle of June, Aveny Hotel is a good start for a Nordic experience. Little but well designed (IKEA like), clean rooms with very comfortable beds made me feel good and helped me get along with the midnight sun. Breakfast was excellent, both delicious and healthy. The Hotel bar is rather expensive and closes very early but they make very good cocktails. If you are into sports then the free weight, the CD and the Gym will surely please you. As for me, I'd rather go hiking.
The hotel is located in the center of the city, close to all "touristic attractions". I think the bets way to visit the neighborhoods is by renting a bicycle. The personnel was very helpful by letting me safely "park" my rented bicycle in luggage room.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Haugesund, Norway
Reviewed 16 June 2013

The rooms were clean, but a bit funny lay out. The toilet and shower was in a room, but the sink and heat cables were outside this room, which happens to be the entrance to the room.. It made the sleeping area very warm during the evening and night, even though we had turned the temperature to a minimum where the beds were. Breakfast wasn't anything to write home about though.

It had two sets of hand weights in the room, and a training DVD, a nice touch. (We did not try it). However, we did use the gym, which was huge, and very very good! Free for guests at the hotel, and in the same building. Also the location was right in the middle of the city center, so walking distance to most shops. .

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Skelleftea, Sweden
Reviewed 5 April 2013

A good hotel in a good location. They have put an effort into designing the rooms, sometimes it gets just too much. The sink to wash the hands is outside the bathroom. It may look nice but it is not very practical. They also put free weights and an excercise DVD in the room

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Valletta, Malta
Reviewed 11 March 2013

Just returned from a trip to cold Umeå. A weather of around -10 degrees by day is terribly cold for someone coming from the southern part of the Mediterranean.

The Aveny Hotel is located in the centre of tiny Umeå, in the main road between the Central Station and the City Hall. The room is rather small, very little space between bed and opposite wall, but served its purpose well, particularly since I had a double bed room on my own. The water basin is outside the bathroom, and is actually the first thing which you face as you enter the room. I find this rather strange, might be a concept but do not really get it… bathroom is therefore made up of toilet and shower. Shower has two options hand held and ceiling stuck huge water shower. Did not try the latter myself as did not really want to wash my hair, yet I believe a hotel shower through this water shower would have been a really nice feeling after a day in the cold.

Breakfast was good. Lobby has a bar which closes rather early in a Saturday night, but hotel has a nearby pub which turns useful. r of trip was paid by the organisers of the meeting (Umea 2014, European Capital of Culture). I paid the last night and paid around € 150 which I find a bit expensive. However I feel it fits well in the overall price levels in Sweden.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business