“Very nice”

Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Umea, Sweden
“Very nice”
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Modern cooking, high quality ingredients. Interesting cross-over cooking. Very good service. The bistro part of the restaurant is more welcoming than the fine-dining part inside the hotel. Expensive, but some cheaper dishes are offered such as French fish soup with aioli. Wine list very satisfying.

Visited May 2014

• Finnish first
Minneapolis
“Fabulous Meal in Umea”
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Gotthards Krog is the restaurant at the Stora Hotel, and I just had a truly lovely meal there. I started with a specialty cocktail called Hanky Panky. Perfectly balanced mix of gin, amarone, fernet and an orange twist. For my first course, I really laughed when my tartar of arctic char and blacked scallops came out in an ice-filled glass skull. It was perfect however, and the scallops in particular were sweet and just right. We each had a different entree. I had the "Goteborg", which was turbot in a lovely oyster flavored broth surrounded by tapioca pearls, sea beans, cucumber, dried thinly sliced mushrooms and as assortment of other small things. It was lovely, with complex flavors and beautifully presented. My colleague had the "New York" which oddly enough was perch surrounded by beans, peas, a lovely broth and fried lotus root slices. Also beautifully presented. My other colleague had the "Iwo Jima" which was shredded lamb topped with a mixture of "kimchee", sesame croquettes, ramps, and various other things that we were unsure of. - also beautifully presented. The wine selection was fine, although the suggested wine for my dish was fine but not marvelous. We had two of the desserts. The passion fruit creme brulee with pepper was very nice, and the coffee was quite good. The "Haifa" dessert was composed of a gelatinized yogurt, pistachio ice cream, almond cake, bits of rhubarb, and a strawberry puree. We decided it was good but not great - but of course the plating was lovely. The service was excellent, and all in all it was a very satisfying and wonderful meal. The tables are out in a glass topped atrium outside the hotel proper, and it is quite a lovely space. I highly recommend this lovely restaurant in "Europe's Capitol of Culture 2014!".

• Visited May 2014