“Cute and comfortable”

Best Western Hotel City Gavle
Ranked #5 of 15 Gavle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 22 November 2013

The hotel is located at the border of the pedestrian area (15 min walking from the train station), it's a nice and clean hotel, comfortable, with WiFi available in the rooms, good and abundant breakfast. You can walk in 5 min to the historic city center. The personnel is gentle and kind. Rooms are OK although no glass (just curtains) for the shower.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 19 November 2012

Good location, walking distance to city center, friendly staff at reception, clean and simple rooms. Free WIFI at room. It would be better to have shower cubicles. Breakfast was really good. What's more Pet's and smoking is strictly forbidden.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Have stayed in at least three other hotels in Gavle during earlier visits, this time I tried the Best Western (!) Hotel City.

I arrived by train from Stockholm (during a 1 hour and 23 minute’s very comfortable journey) to the Central Station in Gavle. Then by feet to the hotel situated 800 meters (0,5 mile) away, located in the quite opposite side of the long, partly pedestrian, street which cross the city centre (approx 10 minutes walk).
The exterior of the hotel is modern in a dull way.

Due to business meetings during the afternoon in Gavle, I arrived shortly before Noon to the hotel where I wanted to leave my bag. Was hoping to get my room – however, the resolute reply from the clerk at the reception desk was that the check in time was from 15:00 hrs!
Anyway, there was no problem to leave my bag in a locked cloakroom (a receipt was even given to me).

After returning to the hotel in the early evening, the check-in procedure went smoothly and efficiently. I was given a room with a single bed at the 5th floor (out of 6 floors). The width of the bed was 90 cm (2,95 feet). The madras was quite good, but the light in the lamp above/next to the bed was a bit too weak, and the type of pillow wouldn’t be my first choice.

I had specifically asked for a quite room… However, the room given to me was situated next to the outside corner of the building (above the entrance from the street to the lobby), situated towards two rather heavily busy main streets. (Why wasn’t I given a room towards the quite backside?)
As I prefer to sleep with the window opened during the night, the never-stopping “ticking” sounds from the traffic lights right outside was a bit annoying…as was the traffic starting early in the morning (the noises from the traffic waked me up far before the time of my awaking time at my cellular phone).

The room itself was nothing to get excited about, however – it was quite functional. Yet, there were some parts I didn’t like at all: The “hard wooded” laminate (plastic) floor which bring about a cold feeling; the flat screen TV set which was firmly fixed at the wall opposite the bed – impossible to turn to the one or another direction; the chair belonging to the writing desk which was to low; the window which could not be locked properly and the cold wind streaming into the room along the upper side of it….
A piece of a nice colorful carpet/rug, put on the middle of the floor, would definitely improve the rather cold feeling in the room (especially if it should match the color of the plaid at the bed).
A chair was even placed in the one dark, naked corner of the room, however, no table at all next to it (to put away your paperwork/newspaper/book/glass…whatever) – and no reading lamp.
The bathroom was very basic. No cabin to the shower, even not any build-up edge around it, which gave the result that the water flowed over parts of the bathroom floor. Furthermore, there was no extra shelf to put your personal belongings.

Finally; I was looking forward to the breakfast…having in mind the surprisingly good ones I had the last weeks at other Best Western hotels in Sweden. However, I was so disappointed!
The breakfast room itself is situated in the basement of the building, in a dark room without windows. I got the feeling that it was a school canteen or a former gym.
The range of cold and warm items served was very limited and was presented in a boring way. The sight of the small piece of a dry, boring, machine produced paté made me almost lose my appetite. Though, the only thing positive, was the fine selection of vegetables. (I am not a vegetarian, though!) The freshly baked bread was good.

Another thing during the breakfast that teased me very, very much, was the fact that the hotel only had totally three (3) newspapers to share among all the breakfast guests! That is completely ridiculous / laughable / irritating!!! Anyway, taking into consideration the very bad light in the breakfast room, there would be some severe problems in trying to read them!

I was coming to this hotel very open-minded, however – I left very disappointed.
The only aspect making me gives the hotel two stars and not only one, is the fact that the rate I (i.e. my employer) paid, was rather modest.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Homevalley55
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Good location in the city center. Shops and restaurants within walking distance. Room was quite small, but newly refurbished, clean and pleasant. Very quiet (rear facing room). Free wifi. Scandinavian buffet breakfast with a good selection and quality. Free overnight on-street parking available around the hotel plus paid parking in car park across the road.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 5starbackpacker
Reviewed 18 September 2012

This hotel has had a recent refurb - it was very clean, nice but simple rooms and very friendly staff at reception and the bar. Perfect for a business or social visit. My room was rear facing and very quiet for a good sleep. I found It is very easy to stroll round the city from here. The breakfast was really good - a very modern style room in the basement but it was totally fine. Surprisingly the bar closes quite early but that was not a problem. If I am in this area I will pick this again. Multi storey car park next door.

Room Tip: My rear facing room over looked flats and this was very quiet and I could sleep easily.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank 186332Phil
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I was in Gävle on a customer visit and found this hotel perfect for my needs. It is within easy walking distance of the main station, check-in was a breeze even though we arrived late at night, the rooms were spacious and clean. Free wireless Internet access was available and quite fast. Breakfast was perhaps not the best I've had, but plentiful and free.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2011

Decent hotel, nothing spectacular, but good enough. Very good beds; the rooms are cleansed everyday. Staff is friendly and willing to help whenever possible.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business