“When money saving goes too far...”

Elite Grand Hotel Gavle
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Gavle
Gothenburg, Sweden
“When money saving goes too far...”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

The Elite chain has a very good reputation in Sweden. Their Gothenburg hotel near the Cathedral is rumored to be the city's best one. So heading to Gävle, I decided to give it a chance, as I normally don't travel much in my own country.

I had booked a superior room, knowing that hotel rooms in Sweden are usually rather 'petite' and I didn't want to spend the night in a closet.

The hotel is very conveniently located about 100 m from the train station and the old building has been carefully renovated. When I got to my room, I felt a first tinge of disappointment. Top floor, low ceiling under the tilted roof, but worst of all, it was freezing cold. I tried to open the radiators, but they were locked and barely warm. The room, as so often in Sweden, had no bath tub and thus nowhere to soak and re-heat.

I headed back down to reception to ask for help. Maybe I had missed something, some magic lever to increase the temperature in my room? After all, this is THE ultimate hotel chain in Sweden. Clearly they wouldn't let their customers freeze?

The lady in reception first advised me to check the floor heating in the bathroom. If it was set to max (it was at 50% when I later checked), then cold air would be pumped into the room… So to make the room warmer, I would have to lower the temperature of the only heating source? I was skeptical.

After checking that lever, I was offered to switch to another room, with bath tub. Sadly, that room was even more cold, with no radiator in sight, but a balcony with two icy windowed doors. Oh well, I abandoned my room to go have dinner, and that was - sadly - another disappointment, as my risotto was cold (surprise?), undercooked (we're not just talking al dente) and sweet! I've had plenty of risottos, and I pride myself in making a darn good one, but sweet, and not just a hint of sweet, but it felt (I know how ridiculous this sounds) like the chef had mistaken sugar for salt. It was the only vegetarian option and I was both hungry and cold. Luckily, the Italian wine was good and provided, particularly glass two, some warmth.

Back in my room, I soaked in the bath tub and read a book until it was time for bed. I did sleep well, but froze frequently, despite using both duvets to keep warm.

This morning I woke up in a cold room, freezing, and with a cold, sneezing, coughing and my voice with that 'edge' you just don't want when you have to speak for three hours at a seminar.

The shower was even worse. In order to save more money (and the environment) the hotel ads filters to the shower heads and the drizzle that is left just runs straight down. I literally had to back into the wall to get wet and cleaned up. Or hold the shower head next to the body part I'd want to get wet.

The breakfast buffet was good, with your typical Swedish treats, at least that was fine.

In closing, I think it's great when hotels look out for the environment, and I'm always the first to hang up my towel again for reuse (whether the hotel appreciates that gesture or not), but from a luxury hotel that prides itself in said luxury, I expect individualized room temperature, not a standard 18 degrees centralized heating, I want my shower to allow me to wash my hair without leaving shampoo suds behind. After all, isn't that why we pay a premium?

I would've gladly given this hotel three stars for the help in switching rooms, although the reason was not what a good one. But waking up sick is just not acceptable, not when you have to work and perform for a large crowd.

The Elite is just like a pricy Scandic Hotel with thicker towels, leaving at least this guest to battle with another common cold as a souvenir. I don't enjoy writing negative reviews and I'm not one to give one or two star reviews. But as a self-employed consultant I just can't afford to put my health on the line for a hotel that goes overboard on savings on the energy bill!

The reception had offered me an electric radiator, but by the time I got out of the tub I was too tired to go downstairs and ask for it. Besides, these things really pack a wallop on your energy bill, which further defies the logic of their money saving frenzy. Could it be that this old building simply is too big for such a pricy hotel? Just wondering...

Room Tip: Don't go for a standard room in any Swedish hotel. They are usually the size of a cupboard. That...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Hans H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Hungarian first
Asker, Norway
Reviewed 2 February 2014 via mobile

Stayed at Grand Hotel one night when I was watching a game withe local hockey team (Brynäs). The room was very nice and seemed to be newly renovated or very well kept. Ordered room service. Fast delivery, but food was below expectation. I had a Ceasar Salad which tasted nothing but mayonnaise, and the Parmesan was tasteless and dull.
The breakfast was very nice, so a plus for that.
I can recommend the accommodation as such, but not the restaurant ..

Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 January 2014 via mobile

If you gonna stay a couple of nights in Gävle I think this is the best place you can find. I live in Stockholm but is raised in Gävle and after staying one night at elite hotel in Gävle I feel a little bit proude that Gävle has a top notch hotel. It is a very nice old building in the very center of the town, delicate renovated and with very helpful and friendly staff. A big plus to what they call "snooze sunday" which means late check out time (18:00!) and Breakfast to 12:00. They also have a relax area! Highly recomend it! Classy place!

Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank MrDanielsson
Stockholm
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Lots of efforts and money has been spent to renovate this hotel. And its very nice and well done.
Rooms are spacious and confy, bath rooms are small but efficient.
Interior design is very much the expected one and not very exciting. But it works and the quality is good. You do feel relaxed in the room.
All staff is very friendly and well trained.
We happend to check in the same night as the Restaurant was reserved for a local company, celebrating Xmas. You do expect to be informed upon reservation of rooms that the Restaurant and even the Bar (!) will not be available. We were forced to run our business dinner outside the hotel. Disappointing.

Room Tip: The over all standard is the same, no worries.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
Houston
Reviewed 12 December 2013 via mobile

A really nice place to stay. Great buffet (from 6.30) and modern clean rooms. The hotel itself is newly renovated after a fire but retains the period decor and is truly grand. The hotel was let down a little by the service (no laundry bag or list left and no re-stocking of water in mini- bar) but these were minor concerns. The Internet connection is slow (50-200 Kbps) but it is free.

• Stayed December 2013
Barcelona
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I spent a couple of night in the Elite Grand Hotel for a wedding in Gävle and I was fascinated by the hotel. It is a new hotel located in central Gävle, just 2 minuts walking from the train station. It is extremely clean and tidy. The reception staff were super helpful. The room was clean and very comfortable. The only tiny remark would be that it was not super spacious, but it was OK. The breakfast was amazing, really good. The gym and spa area were very good as well.

Overall, a great experience. It was totally worth the money. I actually found it even cheap for what I got.

Room Tip: I think all the rooms are OK.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 22 July 2013

I spent two nights here in July 2013 with my 6 year old son. Good location and nice building but the service and facilities were not what I'd expect of a 4 star hotel. I booked a deluxe room, advertised as being larger than a superior room, but the room we got was very small; more like the size one expects for a standard room in cities such as London or Amsterdam where real estate is at a premium. It was definitely not as large as the photos of the deluxe rooms on the hotel website.The hotel advertised free wifi, but it was not available in my room and on one morning there was no coffee available at breakfast.

A friend said that the hotel could arrange discounted tickets to furuvik park, but when I rang they said that the tickets were the same price as if we had bought them at the park. I asked the hotel to arrange two tickets anyway and they charged me 30:- more than the cost of the tickets, which I felt was bad form.

The town of Gävle was a pleasant surprise and I would definitely visit again, although staying at a different hotel. There were lots of summer activities on offer for all ages in and around the town square along with nice parks and a decent swimming pool. We also found a couple of decent restaurants; Matildas is highly recommended.

Room Tip: Not all rooms are within range of the wifi access point, so if wifi in the room is important then ma...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank bfc2010
Also consider these accommodations in or near Gavle
Clarion Hotel Winn
#1 of 2 in Sandviken
Jarnvagshotellet
Jarnvagshotellet
#1 of 15 in Gavle

Been to Elite Grand Hotel Gavle? Share your experiences!