“Service was so BAD I thought it was a prank.”

Restaurang Carl Fredrik
Ranked #2 of 69 Restaurants in Angelholm
Price range: US$8 - US$27
Cuisines: Swedish, Scandinavian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 4 August 2016

I went to an 80th birthday dinner along with other guests that flew to Sweden from all over the world (South Africa, England, Brazil etc) especially for the occasion.
The restaurant is lovely and I thought I'd found a hidden gem, but as soon as we walked in the surprises began.
First, the staff rolled their eyes at us when we asked if we could sit outside. It was a lovely summer evening and the tables outside weren't booked and were already set, so couldn't see what was the issue.
As we sat down, the chef decided to come out and yell at the 80 year old birthday person, because he had booked for 14 people and only 10 or 12 (can't remember) had showed up, so we'd have to pay for the ones that didn't come.
I work in hospitality and I understand how pre ordered food works, it's ok - but bear in mind the restaurant ended up getting nearly full just a couple of hours later, so I'm pretty sure they could've sold those extra meals to someone else as the service was quite significant. We ended up having and paying for the extra meals gladly, but that wasn't even the main issue.
No staff should yell at a customer like that, let alone in front of all his guests or for something so silly. And even worse: the birthday gent is 80 years old, for crying out loud! He worked really hard to gather everyone to celebrate that special moment with him, he shouldn't be yelled at if a couple of guests couldn't attend. Not only insensitive but also very disrespectful, unnecessary and unprofessional. The chef should've pulled him aside and talked to him in private to say the least.
But it doesn't stop there: one of the guests was served a flat cider. When we checked the bottle we saw it had actually expired, so we asked for a new one. The waitress rolled her eyes at us, but ended up bringing a new one. No apologies whatsoever.
We asked for a new glass, and she laughed out loud and said "new glass? You don't need a new glass!" and threw the rest of the old cider in a bush behind us, shook the glass, and placed it back on the table.
Ok, perhaps it's an ecological approach not to replace or wash glasses, but no need for the attitude anyway.
I was already looking for a hidden camera as I thought everything was disastrously comical as it was, but it kept on escalating.
One of the guests was vegan, and we had pre ordered a vegan dish.
That same chef from before couldn't hold it in apparently, and came back to our table to ask who was the vegan. We thought he'd explain the dish he'd prepared, but instead he made jokes about "why are you vegan? Do you think you're protecting the animals? You're every chef's nightmare. There's a walnut tree there, maybe you should eat the walnuts that fall from the tree".
The food was delicious in the end, don't get me wrong. The chef might not be the best at people skills but he sure is a good cook.
It was also one of the most expensive meals I had in a long time, but it was lovely.
Nevertheless, I won't be coming back to a place where the staff mistreats an elderly customer, makes jokes about your lifestyle choices or is just mean and not welcoming in general. I'd rather eat the walnuts that fall from the trees than going back there - but luckily there are plenty of other nice places to go to.

5  Thank Paloma S

Reviewed 15 June 2016

I like this restaurant very much. All food is prepared freshly by the Chef/Proprietor. The menu is not exhaustive, which means he can concentrate on a few delicious choices. I particularly like his beef. It is extremely tender, and served with a good choice of vegetables. The puddings are like a piece of art.

Reviewed 12 June 2016

Would I go again - yes, absolutely.

We came across this restaurant almost by accident, simply because it was the closest restaurant to our hotel. Quite small with a very personal feel. The waitress and the chef were really helpful translating the Swedish menu for us. Starter of fresh asparagus with rocket and proscuitto and two delicious main courses. My lamb fillet was tender enough to be cut with a fork and absolutely delicious. Understated Swedish elegance and an excellent dinner.

Reviewed 27 March 2016

The 2016 Easter special menu was excellent. It started with a herring sandwich ("Sillamacka"). That is herring, potatoes, sour cream, red onion, chive and creamy brown butter served on a dark rye bread. This was absolutely an excellent starter.
The main course was of course lamb, in this case lamb marinated with garlic and herbs, with creamy potato gratin, Rosemary and thyme gravy, served with fresh, perfectly boiled vegetables. Again, this could not be better! A perfect Easter lamb.
The Easter menu had chocolate cake, but we went for the Dulcey - rhubarb - strawberry desert. That is Dulcey chocolate sorbet with rhubarb compote, strawberry ganache, rhubarb pâte de Fruit, thin slices of nougatine and macadamia, black chocolate “earth” and dulcey “snow”. Wow! What a dessert!

The portions were just right, not too big or too small. Even with a full house, we got the full attention of the waitress.

Overall a very good Easter meal; probably the best we have had at this restaurant.

1  Thank Buruglen
Reviewed 17 December 2015

This is by far the best restaurant in the north-west of Skåne, with food that is truly superb for a very reasonable price tag. The atmosphere is familiar and the menu has many both classics and new inventions. Well worth a visit and then a stroll along the sea!