“once upon a Monastery... now hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Grand Hotel Lund

Grand Hotel Lund
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Lund
Santa Clara, California
“once upon a Monastery... now hotel.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

once upon a Monastery... now hotel.

have been to the hotel multiple times.

wide range of room size and quality.

great breakfast.

walking distance from the train station, winter and summer alike. a short walk to downtown Lund.

elevator doesn't go to the top floor - you may need to carry your luggage.

Room Tip: there's an amazing sauna in the basement - sometimes they'll turn it on for you [if you ask...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here a few times and it never fails to please. Whilst not the cheapest it is a lovely hotel fill of charm. We stay in a turret room which is excellent. Great place. Parking is only via municipal parking area but it works. Friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2013
Ann Arbor
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013

In short: the hotel, itself, was great; but the service was repeatedly disappointing.

Our room was airy and pleasant. While the rain shower ends up being more of an annoyance than a pleasure, the whole place felt clean and well-maintained, and that was enough for me. The bed was comfy (though what's with two separate blankets for a single couple?), the windows let in fresh air, and the seating area by the windows gave us a place to relax.

The breakfast was GREAT. Very thorough, with high-quality food and lots of individual items I'm still craving over a week later (such as the raisin bread).

The hotel also had lots of little perks that we didn't get to use, but that gave it a certain feel, like conference rooms and a ballroom, a relaxation area downstairs, and a sauna.

The wifi was free and had a strong signal in our room. There is also a "business center," which is a computer down a corridor that anyone can use.

The area was great. Close to both the train station and downtown. I always felt safe.

The service was, unfortunately, totally unacceptable for such a high-level hotel. For example, when we got in, we discovered that the door wouldn't lock (the deadlock wasn't working). When I called to report it and ask for it to be fixed, the woman at the front desk insisted we didn't actually need a lock. I disagreed, and wanted the lock (there was no safe in the room, among other reasons), but I really had to push it. Sure enough, the next morning around 7am a cleaning person walked in on us since we were unable to lock our door. "At least it'll be fixed today," we thought. But over the course of our stay there (almost one week long), despite reporting it several times, it was never fixed.

In another incidence, my fiance had the hotel clean his dress shirts. When a shirt was returned with a collar stay missing, he reported it (hoping that it could be found and returned to him) and was met with unhelpfulness. When he described the collar stay as the plastic one that came with the shirt, unhelpfulness turned to snarkiness as the desk person quite directly stated my fiance was cheap for using plastic and should invest in metal ones. That comment felt very inappropriate. (Also, sidenote, why invest in metal collar stays if Grant Hotel is just going to lose them?) Suffice it to say that, while my fiance asked several times about the collar stay, it was never returned to him. And when he asked for any pair of matching stays from the purported box of lost+found collar stays--something they originally offered--the hotel refused!

The one ray of light here was the person who cleaned the room. When we accidentally broke a glass and small shards went all over, I found him in the hallway and--without my asking--he immediately dropped everything he was doing to attend to the situation. I appreciated his responsiveness, especially in the face of his colleagues essentially ignoring our reasonable requests.

In sum, Grand Hotel has been set up as a great hotel. And it is a great hotel. But as soon as something small goes wrong, you're on your own.

Room Tip: Each room is different, so it's hard to say which one is the best.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank jess65456
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2013

Stayed for two nights. The hotel is very nice, located inside a beautiful building - its a bit old - but this just adds the right atmosphere. The only setback was a strange scent in the main corridors (not in my room). The room was surprisingly lighted, comfortable, clean and quiet. The view from the room was remarkable. The internet in the room was free, fast and stable. I was lucky enough and during my stay the weather was great - I am not sure how it'll be during the summer as I couldn't see any AC facility (they might have, I just don't know). The location of the hotel is 3 minutes from the train station, at the heart of a lovely clean university town.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Gränna, Jönköpings Län, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2013

I stayed at the Grand for 3 nights and it has a great location close to the railway station - and so is regularly used for conferences and the like. Personnel are helpful and they have a great breakfast. The hotel is one of the "classic" grand hotels built in many Swedish town-centres, so has preserved a lot of period furniture and so on, but this isn't always something good... our bathroom was showing its age for example, with the shower water running away from (as opposed to towards) the drain!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013 via mobile

We had the meeting in the hotel and everybody stayed here. The atmosphere was great, my room spacious (I did get a single occupancy double), very elegantly furnished (No 159). The bathroom is, however, small, and so is the bathtub. Nespresso machine right in front on the corridor . Breakfast first class. We were served a grand dinner in one of the ballrooms - the food was great! I think the conference room deserves special mention because it is one of the best I ever encountered - great sitting, great atmosphere .
You see the hotel is appreciated by the locals as the bar seemed to be pleasantly full at al times, and so was the restaurant. I read that a cigar room is on the premises and ask for it - was a total left down! Looked more like the cigarette cubicles in airports... No drink allowed inside, sitting uncomfortable. So rather go for a walk in the nice park or old town...

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank David V
Rugby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Grand Hotel on business on the recommendation that it is the best hotel in Lund. If it's the best I am certainly glad I didn't stay anywhere else! I was travelling solo but did not expect the single bed in my small room! The room was dark and poorly lit with too few energy savings globes. The bathroom had been recently renovated but the shower was lukewarm. The wireless was free and fast which was good. The 'famous buffet breakfast' was standard fare with some concessions to local specialities. The tables hadn't been cleared so while I didn't mind finding my own seat, I had to clear up the dirty plates, cups and napkins of the previous diners while the food and beverage attendants did something else (and it wasn't even that busy). The other staff were friendly and professional but were let down by a hotel that hasn't kept up with the expectations of modern guests.

• Stayed April 2013