“Charming hotel, with quirks”
Review of Grand Hotel Lund

Grand Hotel Lund
Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Lund
Reviewed 8 August 2013

The Grand's public rooms exude European charm. Nevertheless, the guest rooms can be very small by North American standards. Worse, some bathrooms (for single rooms) are so small that the shower stalls are barely functional. The staff, however, are helpful and they moved me to a room with a more manageable bathroom. Indeed, the staff are exceptionally friendly and stand ready to address positively any challenge encountered by guests. As elsewhere in Sweden but even more so, breakfast is copious, varied and excellent. The hotel lies at the heart of this glorious university town, only steps away from the railway station (I walked without trouble, even though burdened by luggage). Highly recommended overall, but beware of the smaller rooms.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Bjorn_Gustavsson, Front Office Manager at Grand Hotel Lund, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2013

Dear Frequenttraveller076 -

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. I am most grateful for your kind comments about the atmosphere and attitude of staff at the Grand Hotel.

Please send me a message before your next stay at the Grand and I would be delighted to offer you a complimentary upgrade to a larger room.

Kind regards,

Björn Gustavsson
Front Desk Manager
bjorn.gustavsson@grandilund.se

Reviewed 7 August 2013

We stayed here for three nights while attending a conference. Nice room on 4th floor, well laid out and, luckily, very quiet and accessible once we got used to very tiny elevators. Staff generally pleasant. Good location. Breakfast was disorganised chaos. On the first morning we were told to take any table ... Problem was that there were no empty tables. When someone did vacate a table, we had to clear it ourselves, find cutlery etc because the staff didn't seem to have time or inclination. I thought perhaps it was just a busy morning but the following two were the same. We avoided eating there in the evening for fear that we might face the same level of disorganisation.

Stayed: June 2013

Dear Bettoneyvere -

Thank you for reviewing our hotel. Please accept my apologies for the inconvenience you were caused during breakfast.

The hotel's kitchen was closed for construction work during the summer and part of the dining room area was therefore not in use. I am very sorry if we failed to provide our normal high standard of service during breakfast while you were staying with us.

I do hope that you will have the opportunity to return to Lund in the not too distant future and that you will then be able to re-experience Grand Hotel. Please send me a message before your next stay.

Kind regards,

Björn Gustavsson
Front Desk Manager
bjorn.gustavsson@grandilund.se

Reviewed 30 July 2013

once upon a Monastery... now hotel.

have been to the hotel multiple times.

wide range of room size and quality.

great breakfast.

walking distance from the train station, winter and summer alike. a short walk to downtown Lund.

elevator doesn't go to the top floor - you may need to carry your luggage.

Room Tip: there's an amazing sauna in the basement - sometimes they'll turn it on for you [if you ask...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 July 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here a few times and it never fails to please. Whilst not the cheapest it is a lovely hotel fill of charm. We stay in a turret room which is excellent. Great place. Parking is only via municipal parking area but it works. Friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed 7 July 2013

In short: the hotel, itself, was great; but the service was repeatedly disappointing.

Our room was airy and pleasant. While the rain shower ends up being more of an annoyance than a pleasure, the whole place felt clean and well-maintained, and that was enough for me. The bed was comfy (though what's with two separate blankets for a single couple?), the windows let in fresh air, and the seating area by the windows gave us a place to relax.

The breakfast was GREAT. Very thorough, with high-quality food and lots of individual items I'm still craving over a week later (such as the raisin bread).

The hotel also had lots of little perks that we didn't get to use, but that gave it a certain feel, like conference rooms and a ballroom, a relaxation area downstairs, and a sauna.

The wifi was free and had a strong signal in our room. There is also a "business center," which is a computer down a corridor that anyone can use.

The area was great. Close to both the train station and downtown. I always felt safe.

The service was, unfortunately, totally unacceptable for such a high-level hotel. For example, when we got in, we discovered that the door wouldn't lock (the deadlock wasn't working). When I called to report it and ask for it to be fixed, the woman at the front desk insisted we didn't actually need a lock. I disagreed, and wanted the lock (there was no safe in the room, among other reasons), but I really had to push it. Sure enough, the next morning around 7am a cleaning person walked in on us since we were unable to lock our door. "At least it'll be fixed today," we thought. But over the course of our stay there (almost one week long), despite reporting it several times, it was never fixed.

In another incidence, my fiance had the hotel clean his dress shirts. When a shirt was returned with a collar stay missing, he reported it (hoping that it could be found and returned to him) and was met with unhelpfulness. When he described the collar stay as the plastic one that came with the shirt, unhelpfulness turned to snarkiness as the desk person quite directly stated my fiance was cheap for using plastic and should invest in metal ones. That comment felt very inappropriate. (Also, sidenote, why invest in metal collar stays if Grant Hotel is just going to lose them?) Suffice it to say that, while my fiance asked several times about the collar stay, it was never returned to him. And when he asked for any pair of matching stays from the purported box of lost+found collar stays--something they originally offered--the hotel refused!

The one ray of light here was the person who cleaned the room. When we accidentally broke a glass and small shards went all over, I found him in the hallway and--without my asking--he immediately dropped everything he was doing to attend to the situation. I appreciated his responsiveness, especially in the face of his colleagues essentially ignoring our reasonable requests.

In sum, Grand Hotel has been set up as a great hotel. And it is a great hotel. But as soon as something small goes wrong, you're on your own.

Room Tip: Each room is different, so it's hard to say which one is the best.
1  Thank jess65456
Reviewed 29 June 2013

Stayed for two nights. The hotel is very nice, located inside a beautiful building - its a bit old - but this just adds the right atmosphere. The only setback was a strange scent in the main corridors (not in my room). The room was surprisingly lighted, comfortable, clean and quiet. The view from the room was remarkable. The internet in the room was free, fast and stable. I was lucky enough and during my stay the weather was great - I am not sure how it'll be during the summer as I couldn't see any AC facility (they might have, I just don't know). The location of the hotel is 3 minutes from the train station, at the heart of a lovely clean university town.

Reviewed 29 May 2013

I stayed at the Grand for 3 nights and it has a great location close to the railway station - and so is regularly used for conferences and the like. Personnel are helpful and they have a great breakfast. The hotel is one of the "classic" grand hotels built in many Swedish town-centres, so has preserved a lot of period furniture and so on, but this isn't always something good... our bathroom was showing its age for example, with the shower water running away from (as opposed to towards) the drain!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business