“Large rooms, excellent breakfast, efficient staff”

Scandic Hotel Star Lund
Ranked #10 of 17 Hotels in Lund
London
“Large rooms, excellent breakfast, efficient staff”
Reviewed 13 November 2012

Quite a large hotel in industrial area a few km out of Lund town centre. I was visiting Tetrapak, so this was a nearby convenient hotel.

Large room, almost a suite really, with seperate "bedroom" area and "lounge" area. Only snag was no decent lighting in the lounge, so most of the lounge area was too dark to do anything. This is strange, because usually in sweden there are too many lights everywhere. Room fixtures and fittings a little dated, but clean and had everything i needed, including an old fashioned non-steam iron.

Breakfast was to usual very high standard, with good choice and excellent fresh spread of hot and cold fresh food. I did eat in the hotel restaurant one night and it was OK, but maybe a little overpriced and nothing special really, but OK. Staff helpful and efficient, and easy to get good taxis etc.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Once again we stayed at Scandic Star with the family. We got a nice 2 bedroom room and the kids liked the pool area very much. Nice breakfast with a lot to choose from. The hotel is a little away from center but no problem when you have a car.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank boejland
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 14 October 2012

With the same price level as many of the other hotels in Lund closer to the center of town, you might think this hotel has something special to offer. Sadly, age is beginning to show in nearlt every cornr of this hotel and the mildew in the bathroom is proof enough. The rooms are simple and the beds narrow. The remote to the TV has been taped together and there is little that inspires a tired guest. A Scandic hotel, but this one must be on it's final lap...

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 October 2012 via mobile

Booked 2 months in advance, arrived at 11,30 PM and room not ready due to lack of personal. Boy in the reception went to the room for cleaning and prepare leaving me in the reception alone.!!!! Go the room at midnight. Breakfast really basic bur bathroom with 2 showers (????). I'm still here and I don't believe to my eyes....

• Stayed October 2012

Travellers are raving about these Lund hotels

Guildford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2012

When the taxi drew up outside I thought 'oh no, what's this' but inside I was pleasantly surprised.. the usual Scandic minimalism but a unique, spacious and very quiet setting. Not usual in any way, visually appealing. Comfortable, lots of space in the room, slightly odd, but pleasant. Rooms a little dated by modern Scandic standards but at least there's an iron in the room!

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 25 August 2012

This hotel is situated at the outskirt of Lund, perfect for travelers with a car. Are you coming by train to Lund, it’s easiest to go by taxi. But when you take a taxi in Lund as well as in other places in Sweden, you have to take a car belonging to a well-established, serious taxi company if you don’t like to be fooled. If you don’t know which company you should choose, ask some person at the railway station. They know! And please, don't forget to ask for the price BEFORE you enter the car. If the driver says that he (she) use a taximeter, don't believe in him (her) but ask someone else! All taxidrivers knows the price for the ride to the hotel from Lund station.

The hotel is nice and big and has on own parking lot outside which is free of charge. The Internet is wireless and also free of charge as in all Scandic Hotels. Surprisingly in this hotel it was extremely fast: 18 Mbit/sec!

I had a superior room. Very nice indeed but the bedsheet was not big enough to cover the mattress! I have never seen this before at any other hotel in my life! So when I had slept, I found out in the morning that I had one hand on the mattress! Not so nice feeling in the morning. The venetian window shades were very old fashioned and have to be changed as I had some problem with them.

At the restaurant they had a summer menu. A three courses dinner for less than 300 SEK. I ordered it, but regrettably my impression was that some of the salads and sauces were bought at some grocery. The dinner was absolutely not worth the price due to the low quality and without any feeling of cooking happiness. However, the breakfast in the following morning was very varied and in a high class.

To sum up: The hotel itself is worth a "four star" but due to the small bedsheet and the poor dinner, my opinion is that it's a "four minus minus" (4- -) hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
Bedford, UK
Reviewed 24 August 2012

I stay at this hotel when I go to visit family. So far my overall experience has been good - I won't bother to repeat my other reviews.

This time I joined the Scandic frequent Guest scheme, so you can tell that I am fairly satisfied with the hotel. Booked early for an August stay and at the usual rate. Was surprised to be shown to a small single room for my 4 night stay - no wardrobe, one drawer, small, rather shabby shower. Had a word with hotel re drawer space and was given a "double" room instead. Much nicer - slightly different from the family rooms I have had before, but still with separate "lounge" with desk, table, armchairs and bedroom with 2 single beds. Bathroom had both shower and bath.

I had asked for a room away from the lifts and was given one at the front of the hotel, this time. Temperatures were in the 30's, so I used the open-able windows, but was then woken by the traffic noise in the mornings. Very light curtains also let the light through much earlier than the UK, so that made me wake up, too.

After former problems, I took my own hair dryer, so did not check if the one provided had the same early cut-out as the other rooms I have used.

No probs with cleanliness - I think we have already established that room decor is old-style Swedish.

Used pool every day - lovely and cool in those temperatures. Used Sauna, but didn't use gym this time, but it's fine. I did use the free bike service that the hotel extends. The first day all the bikes were booked out, so I got down earlier the next day. You need to be aware that Swedish bikes do not always have the same braking system - the one I rode braked when you back-pedalled and it took a bit of getting used to. Only one gear, which was a strain, as my relatives live on the only hill in Lund - good coming back though. Dynamo/lights didn't work on the one that I borrowed, however - a good scheme and I will use it again.

Breakfast was fine, as always - again, seems to be standard Swedish fare, but lots of choice and dining room was often full. I have not stayed for dinner, but did look at menu - Main courses about 160SEK, as i recall it was 2 courses for 230??SEK and 3 courses for 290SEK. there was a special 3 course menu for 295 SEK. not a lot of choice there.

Didn't get my "complimentary" newspaper delivered (Scandic frequent guest scheme), but just picked up a copy of the FT in the lobby, when I wanted it.

Courtyard lobby is definitely looking the worse for wear - how much does it cost to clean the big stains off the carpet?

Conclusion - if you stayed in a single room, I feel you would be disappointed. Family and double rooms are fine - free wi-fi, good breakfast, nice pool, gym, sauna. Staff are helpful and stay calm under pressure (could be more staff on the desk sometimes). For the price, it is good and I would have marked it up, except for the horrid single room).

Room Tip: Rooms away from the front of the hotel and away from the elevators are quietest. Single rooms are v...