“Great location - fantastic beds”

Renaissance Malmo Hotel
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Malmo
Reviewed 22 December 2013

The Renaissance in Malmö is a fairly modern hotel where old parts of the building have been kept in a nice mix. The location is about as central as it can get, but even though "Lilla Torg" is the centre of night-life in Malmö, we slept very well all through the night. The rooms are on the small side, especially the bath-room, but adequately equipped. Nice bar and restaurant, but there are many other alternatives near-by as well. Walking-distance to the train-station. Very friendly staff at the reception-desk.

Room Tip: Very quiet when facing the inner courtyard
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Gold2004

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Malmo was smaller than expected but with a bicycle you can see all the major interesting sights within a day or 2. The hotel has a superb location in the centre at walking distance to all sights, and there arent many though. It is a great place to stay for visiting the capital of Denmark, Copenhagen, it is an easy and short train ride from Malmo Central Station.

The restaurant of the hotel was superb!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The hotel is in perfect location, five minutes walk from the train station, and few meters from "Lilla torg", the center of Malmö outside life. In few minutes walk one can really go everywhere. The hotel is new (2010 for what I understand), and you can see the attention to details in everything. The lounge bar is really nice, with many people coming there in the evening, the reception is pretty, the corridors new and with a very nice carpet. The room was really nice, modern, big, with a very good bathroom and an excellent bed. We slept wonderfully. The breakfast is big, fresh, tasty... one wants to be there for hours and we were so full that did not have food until dinner. Finally I want also to compliment the personnel, nice, competent and helpful. It is probably the best service I got from an hotel in Sweden and maybe in the entire Scandinavia. And I have been in each possible city of the region in the last years. I have tried also other hotels in Malmö, but this is indeed the best.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Alessandr078
Reviewed 1 December 2013

After a three night break to Copenhagen my partner and I decided to spend our last day in Malmo, as many people do. Unfortunately a storm rolled in whilst we were there and the Oresund bridge was closed meaning we were unable to return to Denmark and thus missed our flight home. After some hasty Googling I found the Renaissance hotel and a very courteous receptionist informed me that they did indeed have rooms available so we ventured out in to the storm and found the hotel tucked off a corner of Lilla Torg (a very short walk from the central train station). Sopping wet and cold, we were warmly welcomed and directed to a lovely room on the fourth floor with a view of the courtyard. Although it wasn't massive, the room was the perfect size for the two of us and included a king size bed, chaise, desk, mini bar, LED TV and a well appointed bathroom. The room was very clean and the bed was possibly the most comfortable I've ever slept on, the sheets were very soft and the mattress was perfect - I didn't want to leave! The room was also very quiet despite a howling wind and torrential rain. I would have been very happy to stay there for longer and if we ever return to Malmo then the RM will be my first choice. It is opposite the Master Johan, which was recommended to us by fellow stranded travellers, however the RM was cheaper and will need to be claimed back on travel insurance!

Breakfast was also excellent, with a huge spread of cereals, breads, crackers and toppers, hot options from eggs to pancakes to meatballs, as well as a variety of fresh fruits and juices and all the continental meats and cheeses you could wish for.

During checkout we did see the superior rooms being cleaned which were very large although in my opinion no more luxurious than the standard rooms which felt cosy and homely. I did move some items in the mini bar in order to place our Flodeboller in there but it didn't trigger a charge. One odd note: the place smells amazing! I actually purchased their signature candle, something I would not usually do, but on this occasion the fragrance was so captivating I was glad to bring it home!

Ultimately this was a beautifully designed hotel with lovely arty elements; I understand they have a rotating artist in residence and during our stay the current installation was a giant pink elephant in the lobby, very quirky. Whilst this is perhaps not five star in terms of amenities and services (for example, a spa) it is definitely well deserved of its five stars in terms of services and decor. I am told by friends that the restaurant is also excellent. I would not usually choose to stay in a Marriot however I would definitely consider another Renaissance hotel in the future.

Room Tip: Deluxe rooms are great value for money and quite spacious - no need to upgrade to a suite unless you...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

We spend 3 days visited Copenhagen and around the Øresund and we chose to stay at Renaissance Malmö which was finally a good idea.

The staff were very helpful and attentive.

We had deluxe room on 4th floor which is under the roof. The in room layout was all in length but the size was ok. Our bed was a very comfy king size bed with Renaissance signature topper.
The bathroom has ground heater so the place stays warm at all time. The only unpleasant experience was during the night there were noises coming out from the WC reservoir so we had to get up and flush it down the water twice before it could stop.

The breakfast had nothing to make you envy though. It was somehow limited in choice like pastry and bread, no freshly squeezed juice and fresh fruit was just from industrial bucket but the selection of homemade jams was nice though.

The hotel is well located, modern and colorful with just 5 minutes walk from central station and right next to the old square with many restaurants and bars and coffee house. We even discover a THE place to have creative and delicious cheesecake in Malmö.

As conclusion we were nevertheless happy and felt comfortable staying there. I think Renaissance Malmö is a good choice for traveler who seek to discover not only Copenhagen but also around Øresund with Malmö as a base. And besides in my opinion staying in Malmö instead of CPH make you feel definitely more relaxing avoiding the capital busy atmosphere.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I stayed at the Renaissance for a weekend trip to Malmo. This hotel is in an excellent location right next to the town square with all the restaurants and shops. The hotel is modern and up to date. Our room was quite spacious, clean, well light and nicely furnished. Well worth the money we paid which was an excellent price. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 October 2013

Stayed only one night but really liked the room which was excellent value with a very nice bathroom. No view to speak of but the hotel is very low rise so that is to be expected.

The staff were both warm and professional which is rare and pleasant to find. The hotel facilities are very nice but the gym is really rather limited and small.

The hotel is an easy walk (not more than 5 minutes if you know the way) from the station. It's
a very handy location for shops and restaurants.

I will certainly stay at this hotel next time I visit Malmo.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Jens L, Hotelldirektör at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2013

Dear silkroadw,

thanks for commenting on your previous stay with the Renaissance Malmö Hotel, we are glad that you liked our product and member of staff.

Our gym is a bit limited (however you do find most of the equipment one might need for a work out), for your next stay please contact me and I'll make sure our Front desk sets you up with a gym nearby with a wider range of equipment.

Kind regards,