“What a Total Joke for a Renaissance”

Renaissance Malmo Hotel
Ranked #5 of 37 Hotels in Malmo
London, United Kingdom
“What a Total Joke for a Renaissance”
Reviewed 21 March 2014

Have reserved three rooms and tried calling three times to check room details.

Got a phone hold message saying "we will be with you shortly" that rang for a bit and then cut me off every time.

Unbelievable that a hotel like this cannot answer the phone after THREE attempts - what would they do if someone in the hotel was calling in an emergency.

Terrible show for a hotel group like this - GET MORE STAFF IN TO ANSWER THE PHONES.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
GeneralManagerSTOCY, Hotelldirektör at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this review, 24 March 2014
Dear Sir/ Madam,

I am sorry to read this review and please accept my sincere apologize. This is not at all acceptable and I can only ask you accept my deepest apology.
You are more that welcome to e-mail me directly if there is anything I can assist you in now afterwards.
We will of course look into our routines.
Yours sincerely
martin.akesson@marriott.com

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Europe
Reviewed 18 March 2014

The Renaissance attracts its fair share of Americans due to its affiliation with Marriott. However, it is a very mixed experience with a few good things a few some big misses.

The bad

Room: The room was small with no good place to put an open suitcase and you almost land on the bed when you open the door. It was also very hot with no working air conditioning.

Breakfast: Hot dishes are sub-standard including scrambled eggs looking like big chunks of rubber, cold grilled tomatoes and slightly less cold pancakes. Further, breakfast is served in a dark cave-like bar area. There is a chef with a huge gang tattoo around (by Swedish standards, Malmo is supposedly gangland), but he is preparing lunch, not serving the breakfast guests.

Service: A second receptionist was called to check me in as the first receptionist was busy, but she did not help or even notice me until she was done chatting with the regular guest that the first receptionist was already checking in. I am sure it made the other guest feel welcome.

The good:

Room: Large and cold bathroom - cold being a good thing in this case as it helps even out the hot bedroom temperature

Breakfast: Good quality cold dishes

Gym: Good selection of free weights in a small and quiet hotel gym

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank EfficientTraveller
GeneralManagerSTOCY, Hotelldirektör at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this review, 20 March 2014
Dear Efficient Traveller,
Thank you for your review and I hope you enjoyed your stay with us even if there were some ups and some downs.
I am sorry that you found your room too small. The hotel is located in an older building with a variety of different rooms from smaller ones under the roof top to more spacious rooms overlooking the other old buildings and the square around the corner. For your next visit please make a reservation for a prestige room that has more size and amenities. The cost is slightly higher but the value for money are really worth it.

Apparently we need to train some of our staff in some extra service and especially our chef, to see the guests in another way and be able to walk an extra mile. I will make sure that we see to this in our staff trainings.

In referring Malmö to a "gangland" I am afraid I can not agree. Malmö is a very nice old town with a facinating history. It is also a growing city with a wide variety of cultur, universities and with a growing very mixed population.
We also think that our hotel should reflect the city where it is located. Having tattoos today is very common expecially among the young and trendy. Young and trendy is also how we would like our hotel to be seen. With a great service on top of it.

I hope that the positive side of the hotel anyhow make you consider coming back to us. Also to see the improvements that will be made.
Yours sincerely
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 14 March 2014

Located about 10 minutes from the train station, a block off the town square on a quiet street is the Renaissance. Nice lobby, nice cocktail lounge and nice breakfast room/restaurant. Check-in was fast and staff friendly. Room was located on the second floor. To get to the room, one must use the electronic key card in the elevator as well as to enter the room. Room was of medium size, not a lot of room to move around, great for one person, perhaps a little to small for two. Very comfortable bed, work desk, wi fi available, large flat screen TV with numerous English channels. Large size bath room with nice amenities, iron and ironing board located in the closet. Very comfortable double bed, room was very clean and so was the bathroom. Buffet breakfast was very good, lots to choose from, one item I would probably discontinue were the pancakes, they were not the Swedish pancakes one would expect but just small doughy cold pancakes which no one that I could see was taking advantage of. Other than that many items of food to fill up on prior to a day on the move. There is also a gym.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Malmö has so much cool things to offer and the Renaissance makes it easier to enjoy these things. I was blown away by the breakfast since they spair no expense and give you that quality feeling to your stay which is missing in so many hotels these days.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Malli,
Thank you so much! I am happy you liked both the hotel and Malmö.
Most welcome back!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 March 2014

The location of this hotel is quite extra ordinary being so close to the main square of Malmö. The hotel staff are great and I love the breakfast spread that is on offer too and the rooms are not too bad either. The location of this hotel, the block, used to the indoor markets (Saluhallen) in the past, but once you set foot inside the hotel it is like stepping into a different world.

There is a lot of history in Europe and Malmö is close to most historical sites the city has to offer, you can of course also hop on the train and cross the bridge into Copenhagen Denmark well within the hour mark.
Easily recommended to anyone.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Thank you so much for your review!
I am happy you liked the hotel and you are all more than welcome back in the future even if I understand there is a long way between Australia and Sweden.
Thanks!
Kgs. Lyngby, Denmark
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed here for one night on a "romantic getaway", a package that included a bottle of Cava and some berries and chocolates in the room on arrival, full breakfast buffet and late check-out (14:00).

The receptionist was very accomodating when we arrived, and we received our room-card and all relevant information in 2-3 minutes, with no problems at all. We easily found our room, which was well-sized and included a large bathroom. The overall design and decoration of the hotel and the rooms is very well thought out, and although I personally would not want those colours or the individual paintings in my own house, I think it worked out quite well in the hotel.

Location is excellent in the absolute center of the town just off Lilla Torget, but still fairly quiet - at least the rooms facing Isak Slaktaregatan are; there may be a bit more traffic or people going to and from in the evening on Mäster Johansgatan.

Breakfast was very good with a nice seletion and good quality food. The same goes for the service - the breakfast waitress was one of the most attentive, helpful and good-mannered hotel waitresses I have come across in any hotel.

All in all, I can really recommend this hotel - we will definitely consider going here again, when we next go for a weekend in Malmø.

Room Tip: We had a fourth floor room with a view to the rooftops across. There appeared to be small balconys w...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
GeneralManagerSTOCY, Hotelldirektör at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this review, 5 March 2014
Thank you so much for your kind review!
Most welcome back with us!
Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Perfect location. Very friendly and helpful staff. Very stylish and modern interior, down to the details. We had a surprisingly large room which also was very stylish and modern. Free WiFi at moderate speed (sufficient to surf the net, watch YouTube and check emails). Higher speed available at extra cost. Very nice breakfast. This hotel is not very big and has a familiar atmopshere. We stayed there for 4 nights and were completely satisfied. The only negative thing was some noise from the street very early in the morning, when some garbage bins were emptied. Otherwise very quiet. Would definitely recommend this hotel to everyone.

Room Tip: One should ask for a room away from the street.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for your kind review.
I hope to see you with us soon again. I do understand your opinions about the noice in the streets. Unfortunately with this very city center location of the older parts of Malmö the streets are very marrow and you do notich the life around. Also garbage trucks unfortunatley.
I do hope your overall stay with us was a pleasant one.
Welcome back!