“Nice stay with large rooms”

Renaissance Malmo Hotel
Ranked #4 of 37 Hotels in Malmo
Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed here for staycation since we live only 35km away.

The location of the hotel is very central. 10 mins walk to Malmo Central station (5 if you know the way and without bags) and outside the hotel is the main going out area of Malmo with tons of restaurants. It's in the pedestrian street area so there are tons of shops nearby too.

It's absolutely doable to stay in this hotel and visit Copenhagen. I would recommend this one at ANYTIME over the Copenhagen Marriott (the worst Marriott I ever stayed at - I know I'm not the only one who feels this way ). The train across the bridge runs every 20 mins and the journey to the city takes about 45 mins. From the hotel to Copenhagen Airport is around 30 mins.

Driving to the hotel is not that bad. We never want to pay for hotel parking so we tried our luck to find a spot on a street instead. We did it and we were able to find a spot on the street just across the hotel - we bought a Malmo City card that costs SEK 100 and that includes 2 days parking in the city. All you need is an app. Parking in Malmo is free on Sundays. Check the signs or otherwise you are going to pay a huge fine - Parking tickets starts from SEK 600 and some got tickets that costs them SEK 1000.

Booked 2 rooms since we travelled with kids. Got decent upgrade to corner rooms (probably because of our elite status with Marriott) - the rooms were huge - it's American size! There is an espresso machine in the room - but I'd much rather prefer a kettle since I don't drink coffee. Bathroom was nice - again huge bathrooms! The bed was comfy - typical Marriott bed.

Breakfast was nice but the area was fairly small. The spread was ok - not so varied but good quality. Don't bother order omelette - when I ordered a ham and cheese and mushroom omelette, I got a omelette with a whole piece of ham on top of it.

Overall it's a nice hotel and we'll stay there again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank CPHBear
GeneralManagerSTOCY, Hotelldirektör at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Thank you so much for staying with us and happy to see that guests in the local area Skåne also take a break from their normal daily life to enjoy a night in a town close by.

Most welcome back.
For your next stay, the kettle in is the cuboard by the minibar if you prefer tea over coffee.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We had trouble even finding the front door to this hotel, there were Renaissance flags all around the hotel, but no helpful signs to say go this way to the door! The reception staff was welcoming but told us they’d had no air-con for 2 days and didn’t know when it would be fixed. Since we’d booked a Marriott because it was quite warm and we expected them to have it, we were disappointed. However, we were given a room on the northern side of the hotel so it hadn’t had the sun on it all day and a French door opened onto a balcony, so we thought we could live with that. And besides it was around 7pm when we booked in so too late to go looking for something else, however, l’d have appreciated a heads-up when we booked as I specified it on my booking about the aircon and we should have been offered a discount for the inconvenience there and then.
I thought I’d seen a picture of a pool on the hotel website, but there wasn’t one, so I don’t know if I was hallucinating from the heat at the time. The “gym” is a joke. The guest room definitely didn’t adhere to the famous Swedish minimalist style. It was furnished in rather gaudy colours, and was small for a Marriott, but the bathroom was nice and modern. Still, it had only a bath with shower over. When will hotels realize no-one in their right mind wants to have a bath where a thousand other people have bathed or washed their feet? (and I don’t care how hard the thing is scrubbed, it’s yucky). Put in nice big showers and wow us! So, the balcony, it was dirty and we looked straight out onto an ugly building across the laneway. They did offer us a room looking into the hotel courtyard, but we wanted airflow so passed on that. The upstairs rooms (1 floor above) had skylights and were small, so we passed on that too and stayed put. We left the French door open and it admitted plenty of cool air, but it also admitted the sounds of the drunks walking along the street below between midnight and 2am, the sun rising around 3.30am (you had to then close the block out curtain, which also blocked out the air). At 6.30am the garbage trucks arrived and from then on it was constant beep, beep, beeping of trucks reversing and trash being collected etc. We cancelled out next night at the hotel, eventually got hold of and spoke to the manager – told him we expected better of a Marriott hotel etc. etc. and got a 50% discount on our room.
We’d especially travelled to Malmo to visit the science museum and then hoped to head north to Stockholm, but we were so tired and disappointed we cut short our visit and headed back to Denmark. All in all, a complete waste of time, effort and money.
This hotel was rated the best in Sweden in 2012 - if this is the best Sweden has to offer, I'll go elsewhere.
I'm giving this hotel 2 stars only because the staff were so courteous, the rest I rate poorly.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Aussiewriter

Thank you so much for staying with us at Renaissance Malmö Hotel, even if I understand your stay with us was not as good as you can expect. I do really apologize for this and I also understand you have been in contact with my Hotel Manager during your stay with us.

You are right that we have no pool in the hotel and have no one on our webpage either as far as I know and hope. I am sorry our AC is not working and this is an issue that has escalated and for a fact will be solved first during July. It as a veru complicated technical issue that needs a lot of construction work to be fixed, and of course this is a great issue and hard to handle. We just kindly can ask our guests to bear this during this period.

For your next stay please contact us before arrivcal to make sure that all your needs in room preference are met as we have many different kinds of rooms with shower instead of bathtub, different views and so on.

You are more than welcome to contact me personally or my Hotel Manager for your next stay in the area for a better experience.

Welcome back!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My partner surprised me by booking a two nights weekend at this hotel - from friday to sunday. The first challenge we encountered was parking - it was not my idea of a 5 star hotel. The service was non existence and you would wonder why this is called the hospitality industry! The parking was dismal and attracted a surcharge of kr200 in our hast to check in we ended up parking in the municipality parking and ended up getting a fee of kr400 (of course this was after my partner had asked for help from the hotel to which the receptionist answered, I don't know where you can park, I don't drive!The restaurant staff were quiet friendly however ,although breakfast is served way too early so much so that you end up missing it. If you are looking for a romantic holiday, please try something more service oriented, with decent parking and of course one that cares to empty the bins before you check in. All in all below three star experience. Never going back.

Room Tip: Well don't expect to get any service at all... from parking or assistance with your luggage. The...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JulietZM
GeneralManagerSTOCY, Hotelldirektör at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Juliet,
Please accept my sincere apology as your stay has not been up to the standard och experience we want all our guests to have.
I am sorry you ended up with a 400 kr ticket from the municipaly parking as our garage is only 20 meters from our mainentrance. Even if our receptionists do not have driver licence of course they should know where the nearest parking is located also. I will make sure this is communicated, and othrewiase they have collegues to ask also.
Breakfast is served every morning until 10,30 or 11 in the weekends and is room service is always provided, please accept our pology if this was not communicated.
For your next stay in Malmö I would be happy to treat you with a nice upgrade and something special during your stay if you please just reach out to me when making your reservation. I hope this can be arranged so your memories of us will be better than before.

Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed in the Renaissance during a recent business trip. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from Central Station and in a great location. Steps away from Lilla Torg, so you don't have far to go for restaurants and shopping.

I had requested a quiet room when I booked and our room was at the end of the hall and away from the elevators so it was perfect. Room was tastefully decorated, spacious and clean. Loved the fact that it had laminate flooring instead of the usual carpet!

Breakfast was included in our rate and the spread was really good as far as European breafasts go - however, it is the same food every morning. They do have a cook who will make an omelet or fried eggs if you don't want to have the scrambled eggs they provide.

Staff was always very friendly and helpful - front desk, restaurant, bartenders and even the guy who cleaned my room - always willing to assist.

Really a nice hotel and will definitely stay here again when I'm back in Malmo.

Room Tip: Interior rooms are very quiet. During the longer daylight days, the thick, light-blocking curtains...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 May 2014 via mobile

We've stayed here several times since 2010 and in my previous review, the hotel scored a perfect 5!
Can it be repeated this time?
To cut a long story short.. No!
Why then, "only" 4 and not 5?
Service in the reception is still smooth.. No problems checking in and out... Staff friendly, helpful and attentive.
The rooms (for us 2 double deluxe rooms) are still as spacious and nicely decorated as before. Beds are fantastic. Downside... The rooms need more maintenance!
The fan in the air-condition was a bit noisy. The room showing a little wear and tear. The tiles in the bathroom floor needed more scrubbing.
Everything still looks nice though... it just isn't top score. Maintenance is warranted.
Breakfast... used to a joy..
With a quick look the breakfast area looks the same. The content does not! Sure... they serve bacon, sausages and eggs. You can order an omelette, and they do serve pancakes.... if you can call it that. Small, dry and uneatable... We complained to the cook, but his knowledge of Swedish and English was minimal.. He just grunted and took new pancakes, previously fried, that were just as bad. Hoping it was a single occasion we checked the next morning... It was just as bad!! So my suggestion to the management is... Get a cook that can make pancakes, American or Swedish, or take it off the menu.
The selection of cured meat and cheese is not as good as it used to be... Bread selection is reduced. All in all... no longer top notch - sorry!
Staff at breakfast was not as good as before. Most of them seem to be of Hispanic origin without good knowledge of English nor Swedish. One exception - a Swedish girl with excellent waiter skills...
All in all... breakfast doesn't receive top score any longer.
So the main 3 factors that reduce the score are,
Room maintenance, breakfast content and staff. I do hope that the management of the Renaissance will do something about it, so that the hotel reclaims top score and "pole position" in the list of hotels in Malmö.
Otherwise, the hotel next door, Mäster Johan receives good reviews, so maybe we'll stay there next time.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Dr_Nico
GeneralManagerSTOCY, Hotelldirektör at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2014

Thank you so much for your review!
I am sorry about the feeling you have for the hotel nowadays and I have also responded to thsi in a personal guest feedback to you. I do hope anyhow that you would like to reconsider and try us out again also in the future.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

I travel to Malmö almost every week, and I have sampled most af the hotels catering to the business traveller there. I can only say this: When in Malmö, Renaissance is the way to go. Superb and friendly service. A bar that takes you to an exclusive club in southern France. The rooms are most likely airlifted from a hip Manhattan loft conversion. The beds are the best i've ever slept in. When you wake up, you'll be treated to a breakfast that is fantastic, with all continental benefits, and a lot of local flare.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Joachim P

Thank you for your kind feedback and for your frequents stays. I am most happy that you enjoy your stays with us.
Most welcome also in the future and hope to see you personally one day soon.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

Amazing hotel. Every single thing about it was fantastic. The towels were soft, the breakfast delicious, the room spacious and clean, the staff super friendly and helpful. Location could not have been better. Best of the best (and I travel a lot... not all hotels are created equal!!)

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Alyson M

Just happy to read your kind review!!
Most welcome back!