“Excellent location and nice welcome” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Renaissance Malmo Hotel

Renaissance Malmo Hotel
Ranked #5 of 38 Hotels in Malmo
Eastern Sierra, CA
“Excellent location and nice welcome”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2014

This hotel is in an historic (older) property and is well designed and appointed. We had two rooms - one facing the courtyard and one facing the street. The latter was pretty noisy while the former was blissfully quiet. The AC did not work in the room so we kept the window open as much as possible but this did not lead to a good night´s sleep. The basement fitness room was adequate; the breakfast buffet was among the very best that I´ve enjoyed with homemade jam, herring in mustard dill sauce, salmon, great bread, etc. Also, the staff was very welcoming and the small lobby bar allowed for some people watching. I will return if I ever get to Malmo again.

Room Tip: Ask for a courtyard view if you value a quiet room.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GeneralManagerSTOCY, Hotelldirektör at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this review, 2 July 2014
Thank you so much for staying with us and your kind words.
Happy to welcome you back sson again, and we hope that our complicated issue with AC will de solved during the coming week.

Thanks
Martin Åkesson, General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Healdsburg, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2014

Stayed here after traveling in Scandinavia. Nice hotel right in the middle of town. Air conditioning was broken, which they did not tell us at check-in. Breakfast buffet was pretty varied, with Swedish and western choices. Easy access to the train station. 1/2 hour to Copenhagen, 15 min to CPH airport. Would stay again.

Thank you so much!
Most welcome to Malmö soon again.

Best regards
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on a recent city break to Malmo. Excellent hotel, good location seconds from Lilla Torg. Rooms were of a high standard and staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was good quality with wide choice of food available. We didn't have any other meals at the hotel so I can't comment on the quality of lunch / evening meals. The bar priced are not cheap but no more expensive that other bars in bye area.

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

Stayed here for staycation since we live only 35km away.

The location of the hotel is very central. 10 mins walk to Malmo Central station (5 if you know the way and without bags) and outside the hotel is the main going out area of Malmo with tons of restaurants. It's in the pedestrian street area so there are tons of shops nearby too.

It's absolutely doable to stay in this hotel and visit Copenhagen. I would recommend this one at ANYTIME over the Copenhagen Marriott (the worst Marriott I ever stayed at - I know I'm not the only one who feels this way ). The train across the bridge runs every 20 mins and the journey to the city takes about 45 mins. From the hotel to Copenhagen Airport is around 30 mins.

Driving to the hotel is not that bad. We never want to pay for hotel parking so we tried our luck to find a spot on a street instead. We did it and we were able to find a spot on the street just across the hotel - we bought a Malmo City card that costs SEK 100 and that includes 2 days parking in the city. All you need is an app. Parking in Malmo is free on Sundays. Check the signs or otherwise you are going to pay a huge fine - Parking tickets starts from SEK 600 and some got tickets that costs them SEK 1000.

Booked 2 rooms since we travelled with kids. Got decent upgrade to corner rooms (probably because of our elite status with Marriott) - the rooms were huge - it's American size! There is an espresso machine in the room - but I'd much rather prefer a kettle since I don't drink coffee. Bathroom was nice - again huge bathrooms! The bed was comfy - typical Marriott bed.

Breakfast was nice but the area was fairly small. The spread was ok - not so varied but good quality. Don't bother order omelette - when I ordered a ham and cheese and mushroom omelette, I got a omelette with a whole piece of ham on top of it.

Overall it's a nice hotel and we'll stay there again.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank CPHBear
Thank you so much for staying with us and happy to see that guests in the local area Skåne also take a break from their normal daily life to enjoy a night in a town close by.

Most welcome back.
For your next stay, the kettle in is the cuboard by the minibar if you prefer tea over coffee.

Yours sincerely
England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2014

We had trouble even finding the front door to this hotel, there were Renaissance flags all around the hotel, but no helpful signs to say go this way to the door! The reception staff was welcoming but told us they’d had no air-con for 2 days and didn’t know when it would be fixed. Since we’d booked a Marriott because it was quite warm and we expected them to have it, we were disappointed. However, we were given a room on the northern side of the hotel so it hadn’t had the sun on it all day and a French door opened onto a balcony, so we thought we could live with that. And besides it was around 7pm when we booked in so too late to go looking for something else, however, l’d have appreciated a heads-up when we booked as I specified it on my booking about the aircon and we should have been offered a discount for the inconvenience there and then.
I thought I’d seen a picture of a pool on the hotel website, but there wasn’t one, so I don’t know if I was hallucinating from the heat at the time. The “gym” is a joke. The guest room definitely didn’t adhere to the famous Swedish minimalist style. It was furnished in rather gaudy colours, and was small for a Marriott, but the bathroom was nice and modern. Still, it had only a bath with shower over. When will hotels realize no-one in their right mind wants to have a bath where a thousand other people have bathed or washed their feet? (and I don’t care how hard the thing is scrubbed, it’s yucky). Put in nice big showers and wow us! So, the balcony, it was dirty and we looked straight out onto an ugly building across the laneway. They did offer us a room looking into the hotel courtyard, but we wanted airflow so passed on that. The upstairs rooms (1 floor above) had skylights and were small, so we passed on that too and stayed put. We left the French door open and it admitted plenty of cool air, but it also admitted the sounds of the drunks walking along the street below between midnight and 2am, the sun rising around 3.30am (you had to then close the block out curtain, which also blocked out the air). At 6.30am the garbage trucks arrived and from then on it was constant beep, beep, beeping of trucks reversing and trash being collected etc. We cancelled out next night at the hotel, eventually got hold of and spoke to the manager – told him we expected better of a Marriott hotel etc. etc. and got a 50% discount on our room.
We’d especially travelled to Malmo to visit the science museum and then hoped to head north to Stockholm, but we were so tired and disappointed we cut short our visit and headed back to Denmark. All in all, a complete waste of time, effort and money.
This hotel was rated the best in Sweden in 2012 - if this is the best Sweden has to offer, I'll go elsewhere.
I'm giving this hotel 2 stars only because the staff were so courteous, the rest I rate poorly.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else!
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Aussiewriter
Thank you so much for staying with us at Renaissance Malmö Hotel, even if I understand your stay with us was not as good as you can expect. I do really apologize for this and I also understand you have been in contact with my Hotel Manager during your stay with us.

You are right that we have no pool in the hotel and have no one on our webpage either as far as I know and hope. I am sorry our AC is not working and this is an issue that has escalated and for a fact will be solved first during July. It as a veru complicated technical issue that needs a lot of construction work to be fixed, and of course this is a great issue and hard to handle. We just kindly can ask our guests to bear this during this period.

For your next stay please contact us before arrivcal to make sure that all your needs in room preference are met as we have many different kinds of rooms with shower instead of bathtub, different views and so on.

You are more than welcome to contact me personally or my Hotel Manager for your next stay in the area for a better experience.

Welcome back!
Lusaka, Zambia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2014

My partner surprised me by booking a two nights weekend at this hotel - from friday to sunday. The first challenge we encountered was parking - it was not my idea of a 5 star hotel. The service was non existence and you would wonder why this is called the hospitality industry! The parking was dismal and attracted a surcharge of kr200 in our hast to check in we ended up parking in the municipality parking and ended up getting a fee of kr400 (of course this was after my partner had asked for help from the hotel to which the receptionist answered, I don't know where you can park, I don't drive!The restaurant staff were quiet friendly however ,although breakfast is served way too early so much so that you end up missing it. If you are looking for a romantic holiday, please try something more service oriented, with decent parking and of course one that cares to empty the bins before you check in. All in all below three star experience. Never going back.

Room Tip: Well don't expect to get any service at all... from parking or assistance with your luggage. The...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JulietZM
GeneralManagerSTOCY, Hotelldirektör at Renaissance Malmo Hotel, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Juliet,
Please accept my sincere apology as your stay has not been up to the standard och experience we want all our guests to have.
I am sorry you ended up with a 400 kr ticket from the municipaly parking as our garage is only 20 meters from our mainentrance. Even if our receptionists do not have driver licence of course they should know where the nearest parking is located also. I will make sure this is communicated, and othrewiase they have collegues to ask also.
Breakfast is served every morning until 10,30 or 11 in the weekends and is room service is always provided, please accept our pology if this was not communicated.
For your next stay in Malmö I would be happy to treat you with a nice upgrade and something special during your stay if you please just reach out to me when making your reservation. I hope this can be arranged so your memories of us will be better than before.
Yours sincerely
Argyle, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

Stayed in the Renaissance during a recent business trip. The hotel is a 5 minute walk from Central Station and in a great location. Steps away from Lilla Torg, so you don't have far to go for restaurants and shopping.

I had requested a quiet room when I booked and our room was at the end of the hall and away from the elevators so it was perfect. Room was tastefully decorated, spacious and clean. Loved the fact that it had laminate flooring instead of the usual carpet!

Breakfast was included in our rate and the spread was really good as far as European breafasts go - however, it is the same food every morning. They do have a cook who will make an omelet or fried eggs if you don't want to have the scrambled eggs they provide.

Staff was always very friendly and helpful - front desk, restaurant, bartenders and even the guy who cleaned my room - always willing to assist.

Really a nice hotel and will definitely stay here again when I'm back in Malmo.

Room Tip: Interior rooms are very quiet. During the longer daylight days, the thick, light-blocking curtains...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business