“A Central Location for Malmo”
Review of Elite Hotel Savoy

Elite Hotel Savoy
Ranked #14 of 37 Hotels in Malmo
North Yorkshire
“A Central Location for Malmo”
Reviewed 9 November 2011

My wife and I stopped for 3 Nights and found the Hotel perfect for our needs. We took breakfast each day and ate out with our colleagues each evening. Central for the bars and food establishments. Big old Hotel, Big old rooms with lots history I guess. Plaques of celebs who have used the hotel over the years add glamour, the "English Pub attached" is a must !!!!
We also used the conference facilities which were adequete.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 18 October 2011

we only stayed one night and had the highest floor, a room, where we could open windows and extremely spacious.
A large hotel, with confusing lift arrangements, but of good quality

Room Tip: higher floors facing to the back, have less noise.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Neuilly-sur-Seine, France
Reviewed 12 September 2011

We booked this hotel during our visit in Malmo, Sweden. We arrived in Malmo central station before noon time, and decided to go to the hotel directly to see if our room is ready. Since this was our first time in Malmo, we were trying to figure out where's the hotel. But it's not to difficult to find since the hotel is next to the station (south of station, next to the river).

We were welcomed by the staff in front desk, and they speak English well. Fortunately our room is ready, and painless check in process since we've booked it through their website in advance I guessed. Our room is the 3rd floor, and there's a lift to go to 3rd floor. We found out our room was relatively far from the lift, but it's still ok since the hotel is not too big. The building was relatively old, but we found out that the room is updated. It is nice and comfortable. We booked for 2 adults and 1 kid, and we got 1 double bed and 1 sofa bed. The arrangement was good as well since the sofa bed was placed separately in the other side of the room (for the double bed). There're 2 small TV on each bed, so my son can watch the TV of its own. The bathroom was clean and relatively big, has bathtub, and nice amenities. The room has mini bar, free coffee/tea, hot water kettle. Also free wi-fi (seemed common in Malmo).

The hotel location is close to Big Square (Stortorget) which you can a lot of restaurant, shopping, etc. If you're fans of Subway, there's one behind the hotel. The church S:t Petri kyrka is also close by. You can also walk south to other main attraction of the city.

The next morning we're having breakfast in the hotel, since the breakfast is included in our room rate. It's not too bad, they have many kinds of smoked meats, egg (hard and soft boiled), kinds of bread, scramble eggs, etc. They have a variety of fresh fruits as well. Coffee and juices were available. So, in general we enjoyed our breakfast in the hotel.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 22 August 2011

I booked this hotel for one night's stay in Malmo in mid-August. My immediate family travelled with us so we booked three rooms - one double for my parents, one double with one extra (fold out) bed for our young daughter and a family room (with a double bed and two children's beds) for my sister.
My parent's room was fine. Very spacious and nicely decorated with big windows etc. However the bathroom was narrow, had a bad smell, no window and no fan and very worn out plus not completely clean. They complained about it being very noisy at night, which I suppose is to be expected in a busy city centre but as there was no air con, you had to have the windows open and the noise was a problem.
I didn't have many comments from my sister's room but similar situation with noise, and bathroom.
Our room, was big enough for a couple but to accomodate the fold out bed I had to rearrange the furniture, a lot! I don't expect to have to move a chest, a table, a chair and roll away a big rug to fit in a fold out bed. I cannot understand why they didn't give us the bigger room that my parents had but gave it to them where the space was unneccessary.
The bathroom again was small, very worn and old looking, no fan, no window and not completely clean.
In addition, we actually paid more for our tiny room than my parents for their large, and nicer room.
The service from reception was friendly and helpful but they did not offer any kind of compensation when we mentioned the small room we had to put up with.
WiFi was free but patchy and we paid quite a lot of money for overnight parking.
Breakfast was pretty bad as well. We arrived at 9am, so not so late that one would expect things to have run out, which they had. The bacon was literally burnt to a blackened crisp, they constantly ran out of plates and glasses, the pastries were old and cold and the food did not feel fresh and plentiful.
We stayed at the sister hotel, Elite Plaza in Malmo over NYE (2010/2011) and that was a much, much better hotel and stay.
I will not return until I hear that they have had a serious refurb, especially when there are so many other nicer hotels in Malmo to stay in.

Room Tip: If you are requesting a fold out bed for a child, ensure that you get a room which is big enough for...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Norfolk
Reviewed 21 August 2011

Plenty of good points. As others have noted, a long list of very distinguished people (and Cliff Richard) have stayed here over the years. The staff were very helpful (particularly as I had messed up the booking). The location is excellent if you are arriving by train. And - it has a faded grandeur.

But - the noise was dreadful. To a large extent this was beyond the hotel's control. But - not entirely. there is a rootop terrace at second floor level. Many of the bedrooms overlook this. The terrace was used (August 20th / 21st) for a noisy party until late in the night - largescale drinking and a succession of men urinating in different corners of the terrace.

I suspect the problem is caused by a lack of management direction and a reluctance (common here) to employ even low-key security staff. It is however allowing a potentially fine hotel to slide downhill.

PS They don't make much of an effort with the breakfast.

PSS They didn't make up the room until 5-6pm after I had called down to recption

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 16 August 2011

I went to Malmø to run the Malmø halfmaraton and booked this hotell because it was very close to the centralstation (50meters), cheap (i paid 50 euro a night including breakfast) and 1.5 km from the startarea of the halfmaraton.

I came with the morning flight to Copenhagen and was at the hotell 0830. The normal check in is at 0200 so I was many hours before I could check in. No problem. The very service minded girl gave me a room anyways! Very nice! I stayed at the old part of the hotel with no view - the room was kinda small and budget but still very clean and had all I needed.

I would think other rooms in the hotel (doubles and such) was better than the room I got since there were only 3 rooms on the floor/building in a old part of the hotel I got.

Breakfast was very good. The first morning there was a little bit chaos there (sunday morning) and was missing both forks/knives and plates because of all the guests - but monday morning was more quiet and excellent.

A lot of the hotels in the "ELITE" chain has a pub assosiated with the hotel that is called "Bishop Arms". Their speciality is whiskey and lot of beers on draft. Something I really like when staying in Sweden.

Remember - cost of hotel room can vary depending on deals and season. My review and value is based on that i paid less than 50 euro a night - something i find very cheap when i travel alone.

Will def stay there next year IF i run malmø halfmaraton again.

The hotel do also offer free internet service. The only drawback with the service is that you get a username/password that is only valid for 3 hours at the time. So you need to get 4-5 diffrent codes if you gonna use the internet for long time. No problem though, since they gave me 2 new codes everytime i requested. Internet was delivered by CLOUD service, and had a good connection (5mb).

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Upplands-Vasby, Sweden
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I stay at this hotel almost every time I'm in Malmö and I must say I love that old charm this hotel has and I always want the corner junio-suites BUT this time I was dissapointed. It was mould in the bathroom and I'm very sensitive to that. I told this at the reception and they immediately sent up a cleaner who thought she had done something wrong but when I showed her the black mould she said she knew about it and that she should tell them again to fix it. The cleaning lady of my room was very nice and service-minded and helped me out on more occasions.
Well, they didn't have any other room I wanted so I stayed. With open bathroom door and open window the smell dissapeared. But it's hard to have the window open especially during summer. It's so noisy with a nightclub across the street playing very loud and people shouting outside the window. I was awaken at 3AM of screaming outside so I had to close the windows but I could still hear it. So a bad night sleep. I did stay for 3 nights but the night between Saturday and Sunday was worst.
Another thing is that the evening I arrived Thursday I had no turndownservice but on Friday night when I got home late I was welcomed with lit lamps, a chocolate on the pillow and I thought it was so nice. But nothing Saturday evening?!? Why is this? Do they only have turndownservice on Friday nights? Strange.
Room 314 is gorgeous, big and with old style furnitures and a great view of Turning torso and the sea.

Breakfast is not as good as it used to be which is sad.

And as many of you have said there's no AC which is strange in a 4-star hotel. Luckily this time the weather was "good" meaning cloudy and rain.

My overall conclusion is that I'm dissapointed and that the hotel must shape up to be in its former glory.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo