“Very good standard hotel, but lacks 'cozy' factor.”
Review of MJ's Hotel

MJ's Hotel
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Malmo
Reviewed 29 March 2012

I'd heard good things about this hotel, and with the reviews and the awards perhaps expectations were high. Sure, very good standard all the way through, but still did get a bit disappointed with the pricing they have. If you are looking for that 'home away from home' feeling some hotels give you, or a hotel with that finnishing touch, this is not the place. The room was very spacious, good quality furniture, but not cosy, lacking finess in decoration. The best thing was the very comfortable bed and the very quiet room (double doors to the room). Breakfast perfectly alright with all the usual offerings, but not one to add value to the visit.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank getitright19
Hotel_Master_Johan, Owner at MJ's Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2012

Dear Sir,

I read your review and I’m very sorry that we didn’t live up to your expectations
I would very much appreciate if you would like to give me some tips to help us improve what you think is missing. If you would like to contact me you can reach me at nina.ulvinen@masterjohan.se and I hope to see you as our guest again.

Best regards

Nina Ulvinen
Owner of Hotel Mäster Johan

Write a ReviewReviews (1,030)

Reviewed 19 January 2012

We stayed here for a weekend away and we weren't dissapointed. Large room with a homely feel with great rugs on beautiful wooden floors. ! even a little rubber ducky for our bath. The staff were great and Professional. We had a great breakfast next morning. We are looking forward to our next stay.

• Stayed: January 2012
2  Thank taloolaa
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Conveniently situated an easy 10min stroll from the railway station, this delightful hotel is one of the best we've ever stayed in. We stayed for 5 nights and found the staff generous, polite and helpful. The room was very quiet despite opening onto the central atrium as the rooms have two soundproof doors. Our room was spacious and well appointed and we were delighted to find a fresh flower in our room. The breakfast is excellent. The hotel has a focus on attention to detail. There are all day espresso coffee and tea facilities, along with fruit and biscuits provided free for all guests in the atrium. We found it wonderfully refreshing to be able to put ones feet up in lovely surroundings after a day out and about. The Hotel provides free business centre access.

We were lucky enough to be there for an annual art exhibition the Hotel hosts in the atrium. It was great to see the work of local artists.

We were obliged to catch an early train on our day of departure and needed to leave the Hotel before breakfast was available. The staff offered to provide a 'sandwich' instead at no additional cost. We were delighted to find a table set out for us early the next morning with freshly made coffee, tea, juice and a lovely open sandwich with beautiful ham and cheese. This was totally unexpected and further reflects the Hotel's ethos. We would not hesitate to recommend this Hotel and would happily return.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank PsammomaBody
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Great location a short walk from the station and the central square, also near to great restaurant B@stard. Excellent breakfast and service. We had a business room which had a separate bedroom and also roomy lounge, tastefully appointed.

• Stayed: November 2011
2  Thank twofromLonnie
Reviewed 30 November 2011

Checking in very late upon arrival, we were met by a very man who sorted out our parking (in-house) and check-in in a moment with a smile on his face. That sort of set the level for our stay.
The rest of the staff make their outmost to make you feel at home as well.
Very friendly, down to earth, willing to help you whatever the issue is.

I must mention the breakfast. It´s a threat to the lunch restaurants in the neighborhood.
We enjoyed it so much we totally skipped lunch whilst there.

The location is perfect. Very central, close to anything you want, yet quiet at night.

Beautiful rooms perfect for a romantic getaway. We had a Superior room which was very spacious on the 4th floor, almost overlooking the roofs around.

The only thing that keeps me from giving Master Johan a five star rating is the fact that they stated on their website that cleanliness was extremly important to them and that they took that seriously.
Being an allergic, that was the thing that made me decide to book this hotel.
Upon entering our room, we both noted that it was far from their motto.
Not dirty by any means, but spiderwebs and dust here and there, more than enough to trigger my allergy.
We pointed this out and they sorted it out the next morning and compensated us with a fruitbasket (!).
I have now noticed that they have taken their motto away from their website.

But in summary, we would go there again, maybe pointing out our personal cleanliness issue beforehand, and if sorted out, I am sure the stay will be perfect.

Room Tip: Book a Superior room. They usually have great offers & discounts on weekends and it´s not much m...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2011

I have stayed at Mäster Johan several times for the last 10 years and it is always a pleasure to return. Great rooms, great service and a breakfast that probably is the best hotel breakfast in Sweden.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank PEI-Sweden
Reviewed 18 November 2011

I ended up at the Master Johan when my regular hotel managed to overbook so when I arrived after midnight I got transferred to Master Johan. The night staff at the reception greeted me in a very friendly manner and he had managed an upgrade as well so that was very nice. The location is very good,a block from one of the main squares in Malmo and a few minutes walk from the central station.

The room was very large and nicely decorated. There was a separate sofa and a large desk to work at. The bathroom was also nicely decorated and it had a classy feel to it with great quality of soap,shower gel and shampoo.

The bed was divine (could partly also be related to me having been up since 4 in the morning ) and I slept great. Free wifi in the room that worked like a charm. Great TV and music system (Bang&Olufsen) and coffee machine added to the nice feel.

The breakfast was great, good selection of hot and cold dishes and the quality was definitely at the higher end of the spectra. An extra plus that it was possible to order pancakes (made when ordered so not like the ones just being kept hot).

All in all a very pleasant hotel in a nice location. Value was great for me since I paid the contracted price I had at my regular hotel.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business