“Best in town”

Master Johan Hotel, BW Premier Collection
Ranked #2 of 37 Hotels in Malmo
“Best in town”
Reviewed 27 April 2013

This the best hotel in Malmö without exception. Perfect position, no far from the train station and close to the tiwn center

Breakfast is the main feature, second to non

I Have stayed there several times on business but I even use it private/ family visits to Malmö

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Wnchester

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
Copenhagen
Reviewed 18 April 2013

I went here for a short easterholiday with my girlfriend. The rooms a large, clean and very well equipped. The staff is extremely kind and helpful. Breakfast stands out as one the best and cosiest ever! I will definitely come back!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jobbens
Ljunghusen
Reviewed 10 April 2013

Mäster Johan must be one of the best hotels in Malmö. The sound insulation is really top of the line, there is not much you can hear from street or other neighbouring rooms. Really pleasant staff, nice fresh breakfast. Even the bed and pillows were to my taste. It's a small and cosy hotel, highly recommended. It's located just in the center of action in Malmö, plenty of shops, pubs and restaurants just around th corner.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled on business
4 Thank Carl S
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We booked a room at this hotel on the strength of the Tripadvisor rating. I fail to understand how this hotel can be so highly rated. Our room was a "Superior" room - cost about 2400 kr, so not cheap by any means - the view was of some windows and a wall. Admittedly the room itself was very good - clean and spacious, but for that money, honestly, a view of some sort would have been nice. I had pre-booked parking (260 kr a day) but upon arrival was told my Volvo with roof box would not fit in the car park. I asked where I could park otherwise and was told - "in the streets or the square". The long-life milk in the room was months out of date and ruined our coffee. We had our two young children with us so decided it easiest to eat at the hotel. But this hotel has no restaurant. They do however have a limited evening menu - and you can eat in the soul-less atrium area where they fail to even light the candles on the tables - we were the only people there. And the food here can only be described as scandalous. Vile rubbery microwaved lasagne at 155kr. And "fish and chips" that was more like two burnt deep-fried fish fingers and revolting chips. We asked for ketchup and were given an almost empty bottle. When we asked for more another almost empty bottle was dumped on the table.Reception was manned by some young people who were fairly helpful and friendly but this was overshadowed by the miserable person who seemed to be their supervisor. Breakfast was good - but we were charged 75 kr "children's breakfast" because our 3 year old ate a small bowl of yoghurt - this they failed to mention before breakfast. They also tried to charge for a child's bed which we did not have. But we will most definitely not be returning.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view - any view. And eat dinner at a restaurant, not at the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank swedensm
Hotel_Master_Johan, Owner at Master Johan Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Dear Sir,
I'm very sorry to hear that you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We are a city hotel in the old part of Malmö and I can honestly say that we do not have a nice view since the hotel is only 4 storeys high. I’m sorry if we mislead you in some way.
If you only hade a Volvo with a roof box I don’t understand why they couldn’t bring it down in the garage but if it was a SUV with a roof box it doesn’t fit and the only place to park then is on the square or in the streets. I’m very sorry about this.

I’m also sorry to hear about the food and the way it has been served to you this should not happen. It’s true that we don’t have a restaurant but that doesn’t meen that we should serve the type of food that you describe again. I will definitely look this over.

I hope you will be returning anyway and give us a chance to make it better. Please do not hesitate to contact me.

Best regards
Nina Ulvinen
Owner
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 25 March 2013

The hotel is nice with very nice staff, always with a smile on their faces. The room I stayed in was spacious and clean, comfortable bed and a nice bathroom. I nice brick wall was a nice touch in the room. The atrium was also very nice and airy.
It is within walking distance to the central station with trains to/from Copenhagen airport and to the central of Malmö.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank SaladaVerde
Hinckley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 March 2013

I arrived here after a long trip from London via Copenhagen. It was nice to arrive in a clean, comfortable and very stylish hotel after such a long trip and be able to relax. It is also incredibly quiet which is a bonus, despite its central location.
I have to add that the guy on reception (not sure of his name sorry) was also extremely helpful giving me very detailed directions how to find the hotel from the Central Station. This was appreciated (it's also very easy by the way!).
The double doors on the room give an extra sense of security and the room was enormous.
Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to sample the breakfast as I had a breakfast business meeting elsewhere in Malmo, but next time I will stay and make sure I do.
Highly recommended.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank GorillaFoot
Istanbul, Turkey
Reviewed 11 March 2013

I've chosen Hotel Master Johan because of good reviews in tripadvisor. Soon I understand why people liked this hotel.
I've planned to visit Malmö for Placido Domingo and Muse concerts. I've arranged everything flight tickets, hotel reservation but not able to buy concert tickets. So I wrote to Hotel Manager and owner Mrs. Nina Urvinen to help me. She responded immidiately and bought concert tickets for me. Thanks a lot Mrs. Urvinen !
The Hotel itself is worh staying. Very central location, clean, spacious and comfortable rooms, very god breakfast buffet, 24 hour complimentary coffee and tea service etc...
If you are going to Malmö, go and stay there.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ENTsinan
Hotel_Master_Johan, Owner at Master Johan Hotel, BW Premier Collection, responded to this review, 21 March 2013
I realy hope that you enjoyd the concert. Do not hesitat to contact me again if you are ever in Malmö.

Best regards