“Great location.”

Ranked #28 of 37 Hotels in Malmo
Georgia
“Great location.”
Reviewed 15 August 2013

The hotel is well located near the central station in walking distance to the Malmohus and St Petri church. A lovely square is right down the block with lots of dining choices. Breakfast was really good; a buffet with lots of quality choices. The king sized bed was very comfortable. The staff was very efficient and friendly. We'd stay there again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Italy
Reviewed 13 August 2013

I went to Malmo on a business trip. The customer booked this hotel. I really liked the atmosphere, the personnel and the architecture.
For breakfast you have quite a good choice, so nothing to complain about.
Not to be forgotten, it is less than 10min walking distance far from the train station (I experienced it, by carrying a bit suitcase!).

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Northumberland
Reviewed 9 August 2013

It was very hot at the end of July when we stayed here and we really needed air conditioning and were surprised not to find it. there was no safe in the room either, something we found in all the other hotels we stayed in while travelling around Sweden and Denmark.
When we checked in we were offered a room with a view at the front of the hotel overlooking the square and restaurants or a quieter room at the back. We were glad we chose the quieter room, the restaurants and bars were excellent but I don't think we would have liked to listen to the noise until late.
The room was small but comfortable and the bathroom was excellent. The breakfast was very good but the breakfast room was not big enough and one day we had to perch on bar stools at a high table, not very comfortable!
I discovered that I had stayed in this hotel 45 years ago with my friend and her parents! It was then the Hotel Anglais, which is still the name on the key fobs! I can't really make any comparison as I remember very little about the hotel then!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Originally from Malmö I knew was looking for a hotel around this location. And as our "normal" hotel was fully booked for our first night in town we opted for the Rica Hotel (thankfully we could move to our "normal" the day after).

The location is absolutely amazing but the good parts stopped there... Upon check in there was one (!) girl working what quickly became a VERY busy reception and she promptly informed us that she was brand new and as the hotel was overbooked it would take her a while to find us a room (even though we had a firm booking confirmed with a credit card). We had booked a double room and obviously didn't think any more about it when she finally handed us a key.

When we got to the room we were very surprised to see two tiny beds inside. This is not what we had booked so I called down to the reception to see if there was another room with one bed as that is what a double room should be unless you ask especially for separate beds. I was told (by the new girl) that as the hotel was very overbooked that was the only room she could give us. She said that she was "only following the plan" that her colleagues had given her to cram as many guests as possible in to the hotel. I asked if she would have been able to give us a normal double room with one bed had the hotel been "only" fully booked and not overbooked. She answered that, yes, she could have then given us our booked room. It is unacceptable that the guests have to suffer because the hotel overbooks itself!

In addition I will second what another reviewer here has written in regards to the beds that we got. I haven't slept in a bed like that since I was a teenager living at my parents house and I won't ever again if I have a say. Sad and disappointing are what comes to mind !

There is no AC and you cant open the windows because of the music and noise outside in the evening...and in the morning. They also have some sort of cleaning or glass (!) bottle collection just outside the window around 8.30 in the morning. A couple 100 glass bottles rattling in to a container will quickly get you out of bed. Great if you get up before then but if you want to sleep in... less great!

With the exception of one girl at the breakfast (which we almost missed as the new girl on check in gave us the wrong timings) the staff is very uninformative and unhelpful.

If you have no other alternative then fine but there are a few MUCH better options in the same area (and just behind this hotel).

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor and on the back of the hotel! away from Little square and away from Isak...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Nina L, General Manager at Scandic Stortorget, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
First and foremost, I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort in writing a review of Rica Hotel Malmö. We appreciate both direct and indirect feedback on our product and services as this enables us to continually improve the level of service we deliver to our guests on a daily basis. It is this constant focus on improved standards that has resulted in Rica Hotel Malmö being rewarded with a Certificate of Excellence 2013.

It is regrettable to read that you were not satisfied with your stay at the hotel.

There were several thing you shouldn´t have had to experienced during your check in. I apologize for that.

With regards to your room having 2 beds, a room booked for double occupancy can be a twin or a double bedded room. We do have a wide selection of both double and twin rooms with different bed sizes. All our beds are bought from the Norwegian high quality company Jensen.

It´s correct that we don´t have any AC in our 100 year old building. We only have a cooling battery in our ventilation and if we have a really hot summer day some of our rooms can get warm.

The hotel is situated in the middle of the city center and there are a lot of restaurants in the area. Sometimes our guests can be disturbed from music and noise outside and within the year we will begin to invest in new windows in our building.

Once again, I appreciate the feedback about the hotel and please feel free to contact me directly if I can be of further help to you.

Travellers are raving about these Malmo hotels

St Louis, MO
Reviewed 22 June 2013

Bed: very comfortable, 2 inch foam on top of mattress. Twin beds that you can push together. Duvet was just right. Open windows really help but I closed them for the bit of noise and slept well. 2nd floor room on side street means you can hear all with open windows.
AC: did not need or find it, so it seems there is none. The weather was perfect and cool.
Bath: spotlessly clean and bright though small. Shower doors both turn in so it creates more elbow room; nice touch I never saw before.
Room: very good free wifi and desk (very import as I am on business.) Robe, slippers, mini bar, no radio, and just enough space. Mirrors placed to give feel of more space, everything comfortable with right amount of style, not flashy or trendy. Nice hardwood floor. Room was down the hall away from front of building since I asked for a quiet room.
Lobby is small and dining room is the main space. No real bar but you can get coffee/drinks at front desk. This makes it a 3.5 star property to me.
Rating- I give it high marks as it executes very well.
Breakfast: very good and varied; scrambled eggs were less impressive but all other was tasty. Lox, brie, rochefort, fruits, breads, all were terrific. No lunch/dinner service here.
STAFF: very professional and also friendly. Charming people.
Eats: the plaza next door has tons of restaurants. If you walk any of the side streets, there are more.
Best thing: great price; about $115 as it is Midsommar today and the city emptied out. Thurs night was fun and full of happy ppl. I had a chance to search the city quickly from the Central Stn prior to making the booking, after reading TA reviews. Talked with lovely girl about rates, then booked and came back next day from other city.
Overall, it was perfect for my needs while on business.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Rochester, Minnesota
Reviewed 9 June 2013 via mobile

Hotel has no air conditioning. Sleeping is very uncomfortable, the beds are cheap $30 children's beds. The air does not circulate in the rooms because there is no air conditioner, so the air becomes very stale and old. The TV only has 8 channels, and just one has anything in English. The restaurant only serves breakfast, so you have to find someplace else to eat lunch and dinner.

Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort in writing a review.

I´m sorry to hear that you weren´t satisfied with your stay. In the situation we were in I´m comfortable to say that we couldn´t have done more.

As you remember we didn´t know that we had the pleasure to welcome you at our hotel and therefore we didn´t have any chance to prepare for your requirements and needs.

We tried to do our best by rebuild a high quality Jensen bed and cooling your room. We helped you with the washing and you got extra amenities in the room. During this period we offered daily lunch Monday to Friday and we always have a small evening menu with hot and cold dishes for our hotel guests. We also offered you to pick up take away from any of the several restaurants in the area and we had a daily dialog with you to hear if we could do anything more for you.

I recommend you in future to contact your hotel before arrival and tell them what you expect during your stay.

Lyon, France
Reviewed 26 March 2013

Good location, not too far from the central station. If you come from Copenhagen, the train is direct from Kastrup airport. You don't need a taxi from the central station to the hotel, less than 500m.
The room was small but correct. The bathroom and the shower were perfect.
The breakfast was gorgeous.
The staff is professional.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end of the corridor are quiet, but no noise in the hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business