“If you want to sleep- find another hotel”
Review of Scandic Stortorget

Scandic Stortorget
Ranked #27 of 37 Hotels in Malmo
“If you want to sleep- find another hotel”
Reviewed 22 July 2010

Actually this hotel has a nice location and we got a nice upgraded room. Unfortunately the hotel is located next to a discotheque with a large outdoor section playing increasingly louder music until closing 3 o'clock in the nigh (on a wednesday). Unless you want to join the party - look for another hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Terezita

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Helsingborg, Sweden
Reviewed 8 July 2010

We stayed for one quick night a Rica Hotel in Malmö before taking an early (5.00 am) train to Kastrup airport. The booking was made through the internet and the rate was decent, even though one of the most expensive rooms we stayed at duirng our whole vacation.

We were greated by a nice young lady who checked us in quickly and also helped us with an order form for an early breakfast, because the buffet would not be open before we left.

Since we stayed only for one night, we will write shortly about the room.
- it was EXTREMELY SMALL! and we could hardly get around the bed. Since we had two large suitcases for transatlantic travel, we had almost nowhere to put them.

- the room was nicely decorated and well-equipped. Everything we needed for our overnight stay.

- The bathroom was bright and clean and had all the amenities necessary for our stay. Sorry to say, the shower stall drain was blocked and the water flooded out into the bathroom area before our showers were complete.

- The room had no air conditioning, which is not unusual for Scandinavia. It was quite stuffy, so we opened a window for fresh air, but got all-night noise from the small street below. Mostly screaming and shouting of young people who were at restaurants and bars.

- The bedding was nice, clean and fresh, and the bed was very comfortable.

As I wrote earlier, we ordered our early breakfast, using an order form. When we came down, the plates were presented to us in the breakfast room. It was all very nice, clean and it was a pleasure to dine there. We got to see where the breakfast buffet would have been served ahd I'm sure the "spread" would have been impressive. The only small cloud on the breakfast heaven was the fact that we ordered jam with our breakfast rools, but we didn't get any.

Checkout was quick and painless by the night personell, who was few-worded, but very polite.

All-in-all, we had a nice stay, but if you are staying for more than one night, please try to get a larger room and be sure to try the breakfast!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissDRM
Munich
Reviewed 12 October 2009

We stayed for 3 nights at Rica Hotel Malmö in August 2009 and booked it because of the good reviews on Trip Advisor. Rica is located in centre of Malmö which is nice but you need to watch out - if there is some sort of festival or event which is happening in the centre it can get quite loud. The room that we had was very, very small. For a single person or a couple it can be fine. We traveled with a small baby and it would have been nearly impossible to put in a travel bed for the baby. Our baby slept with us in the bed so that we could fit in our pram. The rooms were nice but also nothing special. The breakfast fast very nice and the breakfast service was very nice and friendly.
Parking is usually possible in front of the hotel (no free parking) but we were there during a festival and the parking area was taken for the festival. Rica has parking available at additional costs.

Would book the hotel again but only if travelling without a baby/ small child as the rooms were too small.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Bergen
Reviewed 27 August 2009

When travelling home to Norway from Europe, a night in Malmo is always a delight. To sit down at “Lilla Torget” (The Small Market) a summer night is just great. This hotel is very good located at “Stortorget” (The Big Market) which is in the middle of the city. The breakfast room was redecorated in a more modern way (I liked better the old decoration). The rooms are OK and everything else is OK. But the location and some pretty low summer prices make this a good option.

• Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 6 February 2009

This hotel isn't cheap, but then what is in Sweden? It is centrally located on the corner of Malmo's main square and is within easy walking distance of the railway station.

I had booked this trip and travelled with a work colleague for a 2 night stay. During check in, she was upgraded to a suite as they were out of standard rooms. When I pointed out that the booking was in my name and booked on my card (jokingly, I hasten to add!), they were happy to upgrade me too - although they had no more suites available and so checked me into a superior room.

The room was great: massive, with a big bed, a sofa and desk. NIce added extras that you don't get in a standard room are robes and slippers. The bathroom was lovely, with extra toiletries. The room had large windows overlooking the square.

The breakfast was great too - everything from meat, cheese and fish through to pastries and fruit. They even have an orange juice maker you can use and a range of vitamin tablets laid out for guests!

There is no food available in the evenings but there's a range of restaurants very nearby and a reasonably affordable Italian right next door.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 13 November 2008

I was down from my home town Stockholm to Malmo on a business trip, just staying over the night. Hotels were very full, and the room at Rica was all that was left, except for some cheap room in the suburbs. The price for the room with current exchange rate was some 265 USD, which is about as pricey as rooms get in cenral Malmo, so I had my expectations up a bit.

I arrived early evening after a delayed trip being rather tired. The exterior was very beautiful. That's about it. I received a very poor welcome. The person behind the desk at first did not tend to me, and then when she finally did, I almost wished she had not. A snappish trainee, and her superior was obviously in the same league. Also, it was not clear whether payment had already been made, or if my card number had been taken only as a booking guarantee. Their way of "informing" me was was very argumentative and unfriendly.

The interior of the lobby looked fair enough unless you took a closer look. The work/"handicraft" seemed to have been delivered by any average Joe off the street, which is really a pity given the old house and its potential and the class that is has obviously once possessed.

I got a room on the top floor, but it was very disappointing. The interior was worn, the furniture saggy, and the lighting poor. The rug had seen better days, its corners looking upwards. The bathroom had been updated, and looked very nice, but it was too small for the ambitions. As can be seen on the picture, if you stand in front of the tap you cannot bend to wash your face, since the glass shower cabin is in the way behind you.

The windows didn't keep very tight, so I was awakened more than once by loud people passing by (I was on the top floor though!). The room did not have full air condition functionality, but there was some central fan/ventilation which was on all the time, producing a disturbing noise. I managed to sleep 3 hours.

Breakfast was ok, but I have had better on other hotels with less pricey rooms. Applause for the delicious sort of home made lingonberry/blueberry yoghurt though!

Checking out time then. Bored personnel in a Hotel in the former Soviet Union comes to mind. There was a woman who seemed to be more senior though, who actually smiled and acted friendly, making a distinct contrast as compared to the rest.

Nota bene, I don't mind paying for value, on the contrary I always do if I can find it. However, I do mind paying a silly amount of money and get something as poor as this. I am very tempted to rate this place with a 1, but that would not leave any room for rating the poorest youth hostels.

• Liked — The exterior and the lingonberry/blueberry yoghurt, and the one person smiling
  • Disliked — The people behing the desk, the poor interior quality
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
1 Thank jaytripping

Travellers are raving about these Malmo hotels

Kalmar, Sweden
Reviewed 2 September 2008

Excellent location, great value, friendly staff, comfortable beds, super breakfast. Will definitely go back. The room was a bit small though. If you are travelling from Kastrup Airport this is a much better alternative than one of the truly expensive airport hotels or Copenhagen city hotels.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)