“One of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed at”

Mayfair Hotel Tunneln
Ranked #3 of 37 Hotels in Malmo
Boulder, Colorado
“One of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed at”
Reviewed 5 August 2013

I was in Malmo for the Eurovision Song Contest and stayed at the Mayfair for a week. This place was perfect. It may be the only old hotel I think is perfect (I usually stay in very new hotels).

The room was spacious, the view of the inner courtyard was nice, and the beds were incredibly comfortable.

The location was perfect, about 3 blocks from the central train station, and 1 block from one end of a major plaza and the start of the main shopping street. Everything interesting at ESC was a 5 minute walk away.

And the staff was great. Very helpful anytime I needed something.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 20 July 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed in 2 rooms, for 2 nights as we are a family of five. Close to the central train station, 1 block. helpful staff, right on the edge of the city centre. Clean, super breakfast in funky basement. Lots it interesting quirky facts about the hotel. We would recommend to anyone travelling to Malmo.

Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Laholm, Sweden
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Skip the business like hotels and stay here instead! this hotel has a lot of history and a personal feel to it! Some parts of the hotel dates back to the 14th century.
Definitely lives up to the good reviews here.

We stayed in a family room which was very well priced. The room was well taken care of and was very cozy :) could have been a bit better cleaned, but it didn't matter. No AC, but we don't get that good weather in sweden so it's not really needed anyhow. And I would hate to see the old rustic feeling destroyed by it.

Breakfast was superb, best I've ever had in a hotel!

It's in a very good and central location next to the main square in Malmö, with the train-station very close by.

Service was also very good and helpful.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
durham, england
Reviewed 2 July 2013

We stayed here for one night on our way from Kastrup to Ystad based on other people's reviews and the hotel being in walking distance of the station.
Apart from a 200 metre detour - my fault - because we had used the West exit from the station rather than the South I can think of nothing critical to say about this hotel.
The staff including the manager were very friendly and welcoming; the room was perfectly adequate for our purposes and included a floor-standing fan which was very useful as it was pleasantly hot the night we stayed.
Breakfast buffet was plentiful with a good selection available.
All in all a delight to stay here; we would definitely stay again if Malmo called.
There are a few steps between the street and reception but there are staff within earshot to assist if required.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 18 June 2013 via mobile

I've just checked out of the Mayflower Tunneln Hotel and since I'm waiting for my ride, I thought I should post my review immediately. I arrive around 19:30 last night, was met by a very friendly receptionist who was full of advice. When I asked David what a foreigner should do in one evening in Malmo, he was full of suggestions, all of which were good. After I returned from seeing his recommended sites and dining in his recommended square, David seemed genuinely pleased that I had enjoyed my stay.

The room was great, very comfortable bed. I was very excited to see a fan near to the bed, as well as the apparatus to make coffee in the morning. The only small con of the room was that the bathroom felt somewhat shoe-horned into the room. Since the hotel is hundreds of years old, that's understandable. But the shower would have been very difficult for people of wider girth than myself.

Breakfast was bountiful and rather tasty. The coffee was slightly awful, but that's standard in a lot of hotels. I don't know if I'll be back in Malmo, but I would definitely stay here again. And I will certainly recommend this hotel to anyone I know visiting Malmo.

Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Newfoundland
Reviewed 13 June 2013

My wife and I just returned from our annual 'pilgrimage' to Mayfair Hotel Tunneln and this time we were in the most comfortable room that we've ever had in a hotel, The receptionists were all very accommodating and helpful just as they have been on each visit. The breakfast offered the largest variety that we encountered this trip and there was obvious care taken in how it was all presented. The hotel has just finished renovating the breakfast/restaurant area and it is now much quieter and brighter than it was although it's still in the same wonderful area in the basement with old brickwork, arches etc. It's so much different than the modern cookie-cutter, impersonal chain hotels Perhaps the greatest improvement is the new restaurant. We were really quite impressed with the food and service which is far better than it was. The price is also quite reasonable. The restaurant was quite busy so it seems that others also welcomed the change. The only problem is that now that we've seen how great a hotel can be, we have become more critical of other hotels that don't measure up. We're looking forward to our next visit.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple