“Better than expected!”

Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Karlskrona
Timbuktu, Mali
“Better than expected!”
Reviewed 18 September 2012

I wasn't convinced on the website. Small hotels like this can be hit or miss, but the price, location and website seemed good. So I booked the weekend there.

Arriving in Karlskrona, it was smack dab in the middle, which was reassuring. But when I got to the entrance, only to find that it was in an apartment building and that the lobby was on the third floor, my heart sank. I like hotels that feel like hotels, grand lobbies and all. After trapsing up the stairs (there is an elevator, but I thought it was just one flight up at first) I got to a tiny reception right next to the dining room. The receptionist was pleasant enough, though unable to point a good restaurant out in the area.

So why did I rate this hotel so good?? LOL

Well, it all gets better from here. First of all, we were advised of the complimentary cakes and pastries served until 8pm. (I had one of the best, moistest chocolate cakes ever, and the other cakes were good too!) We went up one floor to our room (the hotel is on two floors of the building), and got into a completely modern and quite large room with dining area, LCD, etc. What yuo would expect from a boutique hotel. The hallway is not so nice, but who cares, when the room is as nice as it was.
We were also informed breakfast and WiFi was free - something I missed to see (or maybe it wasn't there) on their website. These are two huge benefits for me.
We then headed out to find something to eat - the hotel is right next to the pedestrian zone, but not yet, meaning easy parking on the street right in front of the hotel. The hotel does have parking for SEK 135/day, but September is off-season and everything was so peaceful (usually I worry about the car.)
Though we didn't find anything great that night, the next night we discovered the Thai restaurant about a block away (sign posted in the pedestrian zone). Decent food at good prices.
Breakfast was good too. There was a lack of choice, but the scones were delicious, and plenty of cereals and bread to choose from.
The bathroom could have been a bit nicer, and there was a lack of international channels but other than, I had no complaints. (And most channels show shows in English with subtitles.)

Skip the overpriced chain hotels (Scandic, First Hotel, etc.) and you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank salkin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Southern Germany
Reviewed 8 August 2012

The hotel is located on the top three floors of a building right in the shopping district. Everything is in walking distance and Karlskrona itself is definitely worth a visit.

The hotel is a bit dated and you see it even despite it was constantly refurbished and is spotless clean. If you've ever spent some time in Sweden in the seventies and eighties, you'll recognize the doorknobs, the linoleum floor in the bathroom and a lot of other details.

The room itself was rather small, especially as we travelled with our half-year-old daughter. We've been there during the hot days of August and the room got fairly hot even though we left the window open all day and night. The room was quiet with the windows closed but an air condition fan was running outside, making noise. Overall, the room was OK but you have to accept the above facts.

The breaktast buffet was brilliant and we were even allowed to go beyond 10:00 o'clock.

The staff was friendly and helpful. Overall recommended, value for money is good.

• Stayed August 2012
2 Thank Gammal_Ost
Sweden
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I stay at Hotel Aston regulary for business, and I really like it! I always ask for the same room and the friendly staff are always accommodating. My favourite room is quite large, for Swedish hotel room standards, and has a living room area, dining area and plenty of storage space. Fridge and coffee making facilities as well.

You get a complimentary evening snackbuffet where you can get some sandwiches, soup, cookies and other things as well as tea and coofee - nice! Roughly the same things are offered in the breakfast buffet.

Location is very central (well, everything is quite central in Karlskrona as it's not a very big town) and quiet. I always sleep very well here, with a room facing the back (away from the main streeet). :)

Will definitely stay here again, excellent value for money!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
3 Thank Silvernight
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed 27 August 2008

I ended up at the Aston for a night when traveling on business. I should start out by mentioning that I got the last room available and that there are probably better and nicer rooms than the one I got.

Hotel is "family style" a couple of floors up in a building in the middle of the city center. Reception area also doubles as a "lounge" with chairs, tables, a TV etc.

On the positive side location is brilliant, the Internet access worked fine and was also free. But the room I got was very small and the bath room was a real joke - the old-fashoned type where they put a shower just above the sink (yes, everyting gets soaking wet when you shower and do not think about using the toilet after the shower...). The desk was not suitable for working so I ended up doing my work sitting in bed, which was not too comfy.

Breakfast was good with a good assortment of cold and hot food. However, do not go to the restaurant in the basement (which does not belong to the hotel). The receptionist recommended it and it was a rip-off with poor food and high prices.

Overall Aston is OK for business trips and good value for money. I would recommend it to people going on holiday, when the hotel might not be the most important, but the destination in itself

• Liked — Location, value for money
  • Disliked — Comfort of room
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Abundance_of_miles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Karlskrona
Clarion Collection Hotel Carlscrona
#4 of 7 in Karlskrona
Villa Vesta Hotell
Villa Vesta Hotell
#1 of 3 in Ronneby

Been to Aston Hotel? Share your experiences!