“Not impressive, choose Elite instead”

Clarion Collection Hotel Victoria
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Jonkoping
Stockholm, Sweden
“Not impressive, choose Elite instead”
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Booked this hotel much due to the no 1 rating on Tripadvisor. It has a central location, close to the train station, but the building itself, entrance etc. is not very interesting. The reception is a very simple desk located 1/2 step down from the entrance, you get the feeling of a bunker somehow. Staff is very friendly and helpful, no complaints.

I stayed on the 5th floor in a standard room. It was spacious, had a double bed, a flat-screen tv and some nice, dimmable, floor-light and bed-light - Flos Glo-Ball, I think. On the negative side, there was a textile carpet (not my preference, at least), no ironing board and a bathroom 80's style w/shower only, in a cabin. No amenities, whatsoever. I asked for an ironing room at the reception and was told it could be found on the 4th floor. I looked on every floor (no signs on the wall) until the receptionist discovered the room on the 2nd floor.

There was a complimentary dinner buffet which was surprisingly good and extensive (3 courses), so I did not have to go outside to get myself a dinner - nice when you travel alone.

The hallways are nicely lit and decorated. Walking around the city in the evening, I spotted the Elite hotel and immediately regretted my choice. The other hotel looked warm and welcome, housing a pub/restaurang and since I am familiar with the Elite concept, I recommend choosing that hotel instead (although I did not go inside). I am almost certain that you will come out happier in making that choice.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank poha8990
Ulrika V, Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, 3 October 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience.
I can see that we probably are not what you were looking for. Elite is a very beuatiful hotel and I can certainly recommend it. We are not a fashionable hotel like Elite we are more of a friendly and homley hotel. I would say that your description is actually excactly what we are trying to mediate.

What we can do better - and will do - is to inform the frontdesk staff of whereabout the ironing room is and to inform our guests upon check in that you can by upgrade to superior rooms for only 200 SEK and then you will have amenities, bathrobe, minibar, kettle, iphonespeakers and wooden floor.

Best Regards
Ulrika Vestin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Polish first
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed 13 August 2013 via mobile

The staff person at reception was very helpful and friendly. We asked for a top floor room after coming from a hotel in Copenhagen that had much noise above us. After looking at the room we didn't think it was private enough so requested a new room. She was very good and thoughtful about the change and put us in room 430 in the "attic". The halls had very low beams that we very much liked and were interesting to see. (Watch your head if you are tall!)
Our room was lovely,very nice size with three beautiful small carved windows overlooking the tree tops and the church. It was a very quiet room. Although the bathroom was small and we didn't have storage, the shower was a good one.
The complimentary breakfast and dinner were fine, not wonderful but much like you would expect. (They could use a second waffle machine to avoid the waits.)
The location is wonderful especially if you are taking the train. It is only a three to five minute walk in a nice quiet section of town. You can easily walk to the waterfront and shopping areas.

• Stayed August 2013
Tallinn, Estonia
Reviewed 10 August 2013

It is very nice hotel. Very good location. The food was good, and bonus was free dinner. There were particularly good self-made waffles. The staff was very friendly, always smiling and helpful. The rooms are kept a comfortable temperature, and the surrounding area is quiet. I would happy stay here again.

Newburyport, Massachusetts
Reviewed 9 August 2013

This hotel is lovely with a sunny center atrium for breakfast, tea and dinner (all included in room price). This space provided a nice place to relax with friends. My single room was small and simply furnished but perfectly comfortable. The room carpeting could use updating. The staff were friendly, always smiling and helpful. I would happily stay here again. Breakfast was fantastic.

• Stayed August 2013
Glastonbury, Connecticut
Reviewed 9 August 2013

Conveniently located near the train station! Nicely suited rooms for a comfortable stay. Outstanding staff in all aspects of service! Bonus, full breakfast and dinner are included and served in a skylight atrium! Complimentary coffee/tea available at all times.

Philadelphia
Reviewed 7 August 2013

I came to Jonkoping for a conference. It's not the most happening town in the world, but it is certainly not without its charm. Part of what made my stay so nice was this hotel. It is a very nice hotel with lovely decor and rooms that are a very nice size. The staff simply could not be friendlier. They will go it of their way to do anything to help. When I told one of them I wanted to bring authentically Swedish candy back to my students in the US, she took me through the best options and taught me a little bit about the most popular candy in the area. The location is also great. It's about a four minute walk from the train station. You will sleep like a baby here, too. The rooms are kept a comfortable temperature, and the surrounding area is quiet. I am the world's lightest sleeper, and I slept so soundly, I was confused when my alarm went off.

A huge benefit to this place is that there is free food and drink all day, so you can really save a lot of money. The breakfast buffet is very good. There are cereals, breads, jams, spreads, eggs, meats, yogurts, and even a waffle maker! They even went and got me vegan margarine when I asked if they had any dairy-free spreads. Lovely. There are cookies, cakes, and coffee/water throughout the afternoon for free, and then there is a free dinner, too. This is not the most lavish dinner you will eat, but I think it is pretty darn good when you consider it's free. An example dinner includes chicken wings, roasted potatoes, salad, some fruit, breads, olives, and chocolate pudding with whipped cream, so it's actually quite generous for something you didn't even pay for. Vegetarians will have fewer options, and vegans will have to be creative (I managed to make a meal out of what was there, but it took some doing. Again, though, it's free, so I can't complain). The staff are also very attentive and replenish the food/clean the buffet area up often. All of these meals are eaten in a lovely atrium, and much of the food offered is organic. Wine and beer are also available, but these obviously are not free :)

If you find yourself in Jonkoping, do not hesitate to stay here. I simply can't imagine another place doing such a wonderful job of caring for you.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong here.
Orange Park, FL
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It is located across the street from the cathedral and a short walk from the lake. There is parking next to the cathedral that is free from 6 pm to 9 am and has a 2 hour maximum at other times. We had a beautiful corner suite that was very comfortable. One of the best things about the hotel is that both a breakfast and an evening buffet were included in the cost of the room and were both very good. Since everything is very expensive in Sweden this was nice to have. The front desk staff was very friendly and helpful. If we ever get back to this area we would stay here again.

Room Tip: This is a Choice hotel. If you have Choice Privileges points you can use to reserve it, it is a grea...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Linda S
Ulrika V, General Manager at Clarion Collection Hotel Victoria, responded to this review, 24 June 2013
Thank you for taking your time to review your stay with us. I am so glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Especially that you found the staff friendly and helpful. It is our main ambition to keep a friendly atmosphere.

Hope to see you again!