“This place needs to decide if it's a nightclub or a hotel”
Review of Lydmar Hotel

Lydmar Hotel
Ranked #1 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 10 June 2014

This place is perfect if you want no sleep until 1am at weekends including Sunday and 10pm Monday to Thursday. There is a DJ playing full volume music every evening with a resounding base that thumps in to every room. We stayed at the back of the hotel and it makes no difference. The check in desk is only accessible through this outside bar/club atmosphere which is somewhat off putting when you drag heavy bags past drinking and smoking bar goers. It's a shame because the rest of the hotel is high quality with friendly staff, great location, good breakfast, and reasonable rooms. I'm surprised the Grand Hotel next door doesn't complain because the noise must affect their customers as well.

• Stayed: June 2014
10  Thank Wuwaksta

Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed for 3 nights at Lydmar Hotel, Stockholm end of May after our visit to a wedding in New York. The property sits at waterfront next to the Grand Hotel. The Hotel is realtively small with only 46 rooms however it's really a Small Luxury Hotel with very nice rooms. I stayed at one room that has ample of space with nice windows and it feel that you have your own apartment that has a beautiful view. Service are excellent especially the front desk (Laura was the staff attending) who always provide all best help. The breakfast was quite nice with good quality food and attention from the staff were really amazing, especially the staff named Ida. We definitely would like to return to this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank 29hario
Reviewed 30 May 2014

In the night I woke to hear the wind blowing through the tall, narrow streets and the seagulls calling; I imagined a 17th century merchant listening to that same noise, worrying about his cargo from the south. Many boutique hotels are quite self-conscious in their decor or service. This one is not. Very cool, very central and really good fun. Close to central tourist sites on a promontory between two bits of sea, it appears to be a conversion of a large old house or offices. The rooms are supposed to reflect the idea that you are in an old Swedish apartment/house. Room decor was quite interesting, we had a side view of the water and royal palace, room was square with high ceilings and a large spherical chandelier. It was a tad small (there was really no room for a chair, so there was no chair). It was compensated for by the bathroom, which was huge, decorated floor to ceiling in brown tile and had amazing fittings; it was nearly as large as the room. Staff were very helpful and smiley, breakfast is really good and dinner was reasonable. Wine list a bit limited. They also have a 2nd floor outdoor terrace that is very pleasant for pre-dinner aperitifs. Not cheap but all-in-all a memorable place to stay.
Reading some of the other reviews I should say that the propensity for this hotel to run a loud DJ call-out to the people of Stockholm is a bad idea....v loud and out of character (gets it the vg rather than excellent).

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank mukdennnis
Reviewed 29 May 2014

I was lucky to be treated to a 2 night stay at the Lydmar on a first visit to Stockholm and it did not disappoint! The staff were friendly from check in to late night drinks and breakfast which was lovely. Unfortunately I did not get a chance to try any other meal but only had late night drinks and breakfast at the hotel but it certainly looked like a hopping place to be. The location was great, overlooking the water and a short stroll near the shopping district and meetings I had to attend. My room was eclectic in decor but had a great view of the water and boats, and a very sleek bathroom with my all time favourite L'Occitane products. Unlike other reviewers I did not have any water temperature problems but some colleagues complained about it. I would love to return with my husband for a long weekend and try dinner at their popular restaurant. I would recommend this hotel for a romantic couples break and hope to return!

• Stayed: May 2014
1  Thank Merkey
Reviewed 29 May 2014

This hotel is perfectly situated next door the venerable Grand Hotel. Unlike the " Grand " , the Lydmar is hip, cool and a more boutique style. The room had high ceilings , a separate toilet from the bath/ shower and great decor. The view out the many windows was of trees and the canal. The hotel is on peninsula with water on either end. The Hoho stop is at the Opera house a 3 minute walk from the hotel.
There isn't a dedicated concierge, but the front desk staff is friendly and helpful.
The outside bar is really nice during the summer with its views of the water. The second floor bar/ restaurant is also outside and is nice if it's warm.
Overall a great stay.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kevin M
Reviewed 20 May 2014

My wife and I just spent three days at the Lydmar and we enjoyed every minute of our stay in this very fine hotel. Our room was large and had a small window that overlooked the most beautiful part of Stockholm. Our bed was large and very comfortable and the linens and towels were what one should expect from a 5 star establishment. The accessories in the bathroom were special and our room was super clean.

When I made the reservation at the Lydmar, I weighed it against staying at the Grand Hotel. My wife and I enjoyed a wonderful dinner at the Grand Hotel, but I am really happy that I booked the Lydmar. First of all the Lydmar is a smaller hotel with an amazing staff. Not only was everyone in the hotel friendly and helpful, but they all went way out of their way to make sure that we were happy and satisfied. For example my suitcase was lost by SAS. I mentioned this when we checked in and they took care of everything from helping to track it down, to getting it to the hotel and our room the following morning. They made all of our dinner reservations, gave us sight seeing suggestions, helped us find a suitable bar and made sure when we checked out that we had a traveler of coffee on the way to the airport. They all had a great sense of humor and gave every guest special and personal service. The Lydmar Hotel is a special place and I would highly recommend it to anyone traveling to Stockholm.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ase1707
Reviewed 19 May 2014

I stayed with my best friend for 3 nights for the JT concert in Stockholm.

Staff- very attentive, friendly and nothing was too much trouble this includes the staff at the checkin desk, terrace, cleaners and in the breakfast room.

Breakfast- it was something we woke up early for and included the following Made to order pancakes, scrambled eggs, omelettes, bacon. Fresh juices, fresh fruit, cereal and continental selection of meats and cheeses. I think it has to be one of the best spreads in Europe.
Breakfast was included for us but was £30/$45 per person for non hotel guests.

Rooms- were cosy, modern and quirky. Wooden floors, posh leather arm chairs, a very 3rd home feel to it. I loved that the bathroom floors were heated. Toiletries were l'occitane.

Location- right in the centre, exactly where you need to be for everything.

Gym- located across the street and shared with guests at the grand hotel next door. We loved the swimming pool, spa and sauna. A very modern and amazing Spa. There was free hot tea, oranges and refreshments at the gym/spa.

Overall loved the hotel and all its amenities.
I have stayed at the grand hotel before which to me is outdated and needs a bit of paint work so hands down would stay here again and recommend to others.

Very difficult to find any fault during our stay or provide a cons list except price but bear in mind this is Stockholm and all svandavian countries are expensive to live in compared to the rest of Europe as their living costs & wages are higher.

Room Tip: Book in advance and call them for a deal