We were here for one night at the end of a Baltic cruise, and loved everything about it.
We arrived early, at 9 am, and surprisingly, they had a room ready for us and allowed us to check in early. The lady at reception advised that they had us in a room overlooking the harbor, but it also overlooked the terrace where a band played at night, and she asked us if that was okay, or if we would prefer to switch. Since I am noise sensitive, we went with the move, and they put us in a room on the top floor at the back, and it was very quiet indeed.
The room was well decorated and comfortable, and was actually quite large (we went with a 'medium' sized one). There were big windows which made it light and airy, and there was also a cool port hole with a window ledge to sit on, and a view over the harbor.
Here are a few things that made the experience exceptional, and showed how the staff here go above and beyond:
- my husband wanted to get a coffee and pastry and sit out on the terrace in front of the hotel just after we had checked in, however, they advised that they didn't have the licence to eat out there, so they invited us in to have a full breakfast inside instead - even though we were really only supposed to be checking in that afternoon!
- I had sent an email asking if I could arrange for a treat in the room (chocolate covered strawberries) since it was a trip for my husband's "big 60" birthday and the last day of our trip, but there was a communication problem (my fault likely), and we didn't get them. However, they insisted on not charging us for a half bottle of wine that we'd had instead, as a way to make up for it. I thought this was a very kind gesture on their part.
- the hotel is affiliated with the Grand hotel next door, and customers can use the Grand's spa facilities - please, take advantage of this! Someone had strongly recommended it to us, and although I didn't really want to spend time in Stockholm in a pool when there was so much to see, we decided to go for a short visit in the late afternoon after a long day of sightseeing.....it was beyond fantastic and we ended up staying an hour and a half! The ambiance is wonderful - it seems to be styled after a roman bath - and there is a gas fireplace beside the pool, and amazing smelling aromatherapy. There is soft music playing, lovely little sitting areas, a steam room, a thalassotherapy pool, and an amazing multi-headed shower. The service there was also outstanding.
The location of the hotel is just about as good as it gets....right on the water front, and walking distance to the palace, the museums, the old town, and the other islands.
When we were checking out, it turned out that the lady at reception was Finnish, as is my husband, and they ended up having a great conversation in their native language, and we ended up meeting her parents as well who were visiting, and had friends in the same town where my husband was born. All of this added to the very special experience of staying at this hotel.
I thought it was a little expensive when I was booking it, but hoped that it would be worth it, and it truly was.....we would stay here again in a heart beat when we come back to Stockholm one day.
It was just wonderful!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- All of our rooms are individually furnished and no rooms are alike. On the 5th floor you can enjoy the feeling of a penthouse with wooden beams in the sloping ceiling. The furnishing is meant to give you that homey feeling, with furniture in different styles. The rooms have different views such as street, park and waterfront. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., Odigeo, Priceline, Agoda and Evoline ltd so you can book your Lydmar Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lydmar Hotel Stockholm