Castanea Old Town Hostel
Grand Hotel(Stockholm)
  • Pool
Lydmar Hotel(Stockholm)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewscommon roomgamla stanother guestsbed dormeach bunkgreat locationcharming neighborhoodtwin private roomfemale dormdoor codesuperb staysheets and towelsnobel museumshops and cafesroyal palaceyour luggageheated floors
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I wasn't disappointed really. It was kind of expensive, but that is Sweden. The hostel is clean and well run. The kitchen was always clean, as were the rest rooms. There is all sorts of tourist info in the commons area and a couple of computers to use. The staff are only there part of the day so if you need to deal with them you have catch them in the morning or evening. But they are very professional and pleasant. The beds were clean and comfortable enough. Lockers were in every room I stayed in. The thing I remember most was how quiet it was. Seemed like there was a contest to see who could make the least noise. The first night I was appreciative of this. So if your looking for a party atmosphere I would look elsewhere. But if you want to sleep good and feel secure this is a good choice.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

Good place, the location is the best in town, bathrooms are clean and decent. Quiet place, people keep to themselves, do not expect a party environment. staff is friendly and helpful. Beware if you arrive after hours, staff will leave a package for you.

Stayed: August 2014
Reviewed 16 July 2014

I spent three nights at Castanea, and while the basic facilities were adequate, it absolutely boggles my mind how this is one of the top-rated places to stay in Stockholm. I chose the hostel based on the good reviews, and I was very disappointed.

First, the good things:

- The beds were comfortable and relatively long: I had at least 6 inches to spare and I am 6 feet tall
- The location is fantastic, even if the hostel is slightly difficult to find: It is centrally located in the old town on a quiet street, roughly 8 minutes from the Gamla Stan metro station with ferries and buses available within less than 10 minutes walking.
- The hostel seemed fairly secure: The entrance door to the building had a security code, the door to the hostel had a security code, and each room was accessed via key.
- The bathrooms were spacious and fairly clean, although I sometimes had difficulty getting hot water for the shower.

Now, the bad things:
- I was in the 4-bed dorm, and it was tiny. There is nowhere to put any suitcases, and if anyone puts their bag on the floor, it is practically impossible to get past. The room would have been reasonable but tight for a 2-person room, but putting 4 beds in such a small space almost felt like a fire hazard.
- The lockers are completely inadequate for storing any sort of bags, even a moderately sized backpack. I had to take out my electronics and passport and put them in the locker and leave my bag and backpack outside of the locker. This wouldn't have been as much of an issue, except that yet again, there was absolutely no floor space to put bags.
- The staff are only present from 9am to 11am and 3pm to 6pm, and even during those hours I had difficulty finding someone. I didn't even pay until my last day because I was never at the hostel while the staff were there. These short hours also meant I couldn't ask questions or get help when I needed it (i.e. asking about tickets for the bus, which left me wandering around the city trying to find a place to buy them). When I arrived (after 6pm), there was an envelope with a key left for me along with my linens (extra charge: 65 SEK, roughly $9), and no further information. I had to rely on other guests for any questions I had. Also, one night several people were talking loudly outside of the dorm room around 2am -- With no staff there to stop them, my roommate and I had to get out of bed to go out and ask them to quiet down.
- There was absolutely no atmosphere at the hostel, it was more like a hotel. Very few people spent time in the common area, and with no staff to facilitate any sort of activities, and no space in the dorm room to socialize, it was very difficult to meet fellow travelers.

Finally, on the day I was checking out, I slept 20 minutes past checkout time (11am), and was woken up by a staff member (the most interaction I had with the staff during my entire stay!) asking me to leave the room. I set about packing my things, and about 5 minutes later the housekeeping lady came in the room… She looked at me packing my things, sighed, shook her head, and left the room. About 5 minutes later, she came back in carrying a vacuum, looked at me again, and left, slamming the door. After another 2-3 minutes, she then opened the door and stood there watching me pack up my things, waiting for me to leave. I have never felt so rushed or unwelcome, and I can’t help but think that maybe, just maybe (!), if the staff was there for more than 6 hours out of the day, they might have been slightly less rushed.

All in all, this hostel has a good location and decent beds, but that’s about all. The short opening hours of the reception were a major inconvenience, and the atmosphere at the hostel was severely lacking. When I return to Stockholm, I will definitely choose a different place to stay.

Room Tip: Room #3, a 4-bed dorm, is absurdly tiny. I don't know if any of the other rooms are better, but they certainly can't be worse.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Cecilia S, Owner at Castanea Old Town Hostel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Adam,
Glad you liked the beds, the location, security and the bathrooms!
But I'm also really sorry you were disappointed at several things.

Castanea is located in an old house from year 1747, so all rooms are fairly small and especially the 4-bedded dorm. The lockers are ment for valuable things like computer, camera, passport and wallet. We also offer free luggage storage in our luggage room.

The reception is open 9-11 and 15-18 (as written at our web site, at all booking sites and at the confirmation we send you before your arrival), but we are usually here all day (9-18) and answer questions all the time about Castanea, Stockholm, transportation and other sorts of questions. So sorry this didn't fit with your hours here!

A lot of people that stay at Castanea want to bring their own sheets and towel, to save money. That is why it's not included. You will find the information about the bed linen at our web site, at all booking sites with Castanea present and in the confirmation we send you before your arrival.

Also sorry the you did not notice the check out time. The rush on you from the cleaning lady is unforgivable. I will talk to her, so it will not happen again.
Kind regards, Cecilia

Reviewed 25 June 2014

The location is superb - you spend time in the old city but also can easily visit south island, city center, east island and archipelago.
Hostel is clean, cozy, well organized and equipped. There is a self-service info board that was helpful.
Couple of downsides to consider: rooms too narrow, wi-fi not reliable, availability and knowledge-ability of staff we found insufficient.

would recommend

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2014

The location is perfect - you spend a lot of time in the old town but you are also very conveniently located to make day trips to the south island, north island, east island and the archipelago.
The hostel is very cozy and well organized, clean, well equipped as well. Very helpful board with information on self service.
Couple of minute downsides to consider: rooms are very narrow, wi-fi not reliable all the time, availability and knowledge-ability of staff is meager.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple