“This hotel rocks!”

Ranked #24 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
New York
“This hotel rocks!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2009

I'll admit that I thought this hotel would be a little to bohemian chic for me. I am usually one that favours the classical hotels, however, I had friends that found the Story Hotel in Wallpaper Magazine. I decided it looked cool, and I could at least give it a try. Little did we know how uber cool it would be! It's easy to find the street, but you will easily pass the hotel if you are in a car. Once you find it, you can't miss it. There are actually 3 entrances (bar, hotel, and restaurant). Each of them connect once you are inside, but it's just part of the industrial design. Once we got inside, we were all rapidly texting and calling each other saying....you have to come check out my room. All of our rooms were different, which made it even more interesting. A member of staff said that the building is actually part of an old auto repair shop, joined with an apartment building. There are 2 different elevators (modern, and the old style lift that's manual). They have a huge indoor bar, and an outside bar. You can see each of them thru clear panels in the ceiling/floor. The staff is awesome!! Very friendly , and helpful. I liked the fact that they keep it simple, since there isn't really any need for a concierge, bellhop, etc. Food is great - breakfast is included in your tab. They have different types of tea, coffee, and juice in the morning.
Yes, the rooms are small, but it's a totally different experience. Here's the thing....they make the small spaces work VERY WELL! I live in New York, and I am accustomed to small and organized. They created things in this hotel that I never would have thought about. It's been 5 days since we all left, and we can't stop talking about this place. I am for sure going back!! (I just hope they don't increase the prices too high). Overall, there's not a bad thing to be found with this hotel. It's a must!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Copenhagen
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2009

Excellent hotel with the best location in town. Located right in the middle of where things happen. Friendly and helpful staff, great food and service in the restaurant and bar, superb rooms that didn't feel like a normal hotel room. Only minus was lack of furniture for all the cloths bought on shopping and some noise from the bars located just down the street.. But if you wanna stay where things happen in Stockholm and appreciate a fantastic hotel then Story is the place to go... .end of story...

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2009

The service was incredibly friendly: Although there is no reception desk and the check-in and check-out procedure are done in an automated "kiosk", the staff is always ready to help. The hotel itself is a perfect example of industrial design - the rooms are basically piece of art. Free fridge and a nice TV are also good especially due to many international programs.

The breakfast buffet is quite small in choice, compared to other hotels but the served food is delicious - home made bakery, prosciutto ham, honey with coffee - all you need for good breakfast. The only drawback is that soft boiled eggs are too soft.

Location is ok, 15 minutes walking from the central station and a good starting point for walks around Stockholm. There are few pubs and restaurants nearby where one can get some meal (e.g. Friday's). The hotel itself has a bar.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 July 2009

We got a really good price for this hotel so were amazed to get there and find it to be very nice indeed. Great location, friendly staff, classy decor, huge bed. The bar downstairs was very nice and the breakfast excellent. Highly recommened by me.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Saint Peter, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2009

Two couples in to Stockholm for the marathon weekend, we reserved the Lily Dam Suite for 2 nights. Upon arrival, we were greeted graciously at the front door and within minutes of, getting to our room, staff was there to turn the sofa in the living space into the bed. There was plenty of space and privacy for both couples - a balcony off of each room and 2 bathrooms (although only one with shower facilities...the other couple was my sister & husband, so no problems sharing space!). Loved the Kiehls products in the bathrooms, along with big, fluffy towels and robe. It was great to have the empty fridge that we could stock ourselves.

My husband an I have been living in Europe for a year, and the Story Hotel is - hands down - my favorite hotel I've ever stayed in. It was clean and had a great, eclectic feel to it. When my brother in law and I woke up early and wanted to let the runners sleep, we grabbed the laptop and headed to the restaurant where we were given a hot cup of coffee (in a big cool mug) to go with our free wifi. Staff, all around, was attentive but not annoying.

The location of the Story is unbeatable. The best. Great shopping, half block from the T-bana, walk to all the major sights in the city. Worth paying a bit more to be in that spot, but we didn't feel like we were paying more! Breakfast was included in our booking, not sure if I would have paid for it otherwise. It was fine, but nothing special.

Drinks in the bar were great, excellent people watching! The only minor issue is that we did struggle to get wifi in our room. The staff worked hard to get us "wired" and it eventually worked. Likely a room location issue as much as anything.

I can't speak to the other rooms in the hotel, but the Lily Dam was top rate, along with all the public spaces. If you're thinking of staying here, my advice is to DO IT!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2009

When we were looking for accommodation in Stockholm, we noticed that most hotels were a bit pricey, if you wanted something comfortable. Then I came across this hotel: Story Hotel, checked their trendy website, and tried to find some reviews, but couldn't find them, because this hotel is new! Based upon the good price and their website, booked it and it turned out to be a good choice! The hotel is well-located, actually in the shopping district Ostermalm, you can get to all hot-spots on foot or by public transport easily, try e.g. the 'fika' at Sturekatten right next door. We booked the smallest room and therefore cheapest room they had, #412, and it was a wonderful bright room, trendy design, comfy beds and a very spacious, clean bathroom, big window, great shower and loved the Chinese sink! Also the luxury toiletries by Kiehl's were a plus. Liked the old-fashioned and probably original elevators. Liked the carpet in the hallway, the contemporary design on the walls. Breakfast was good, fresh products, nice 'muggen'. There was also a bar and a restaurant, always packed at night! Personnel was very nice, ready to assist. Pity the hotel didn't have a spa/sauna, so we ended up at Central Badet, steamy (and local) fun for a few hours. Loved Stockholm, its people and this hotel, I can highly recommend it!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple