“A relatively disappointing stay”
Review of Jumbo Stay

Jumbo Stay
London
“A relatively disappointing stay”
Reviewed 3 July 2011

I have been paying attention to this place since its opening, dreaming that one day I could stay. Now the moment arrived and I was very much looking forward to it.

My flight was delayed and I didn't arrive at the place until 2am in the morning. Yes, the free shuttle bus from the terminal is very convenient and when you get off the bus, people are kind of watching you in a jealous way - look, this guy is staying in this cool place compared to our boring Raddisson!

Check in was okay smooth, maybe the reception wasn't too keen to greet someone at 2am. He provided me a wrong door card, which I inserted into the wrong room...ooops, sorry people sleeping in that room!

Get into my room, clean, okay size and comfortable bed. Toilet and shower are clean I have to admit, definitely above normal hostel standard. After 7 hours sleep, breakfast time, which was served in the front of the aircraft. Surely the guys serving the food were not too keen to asking whether you had a good sleep or how you liked this place. At that moment I found how poor customer services are at Jumbostay. After breakfast, I went to the top decker to see the common room and cockpit, which was locked. No material decoration/contents inside. When I walked down, the lady at the reception stared at me angrily, implying 'what are you doing upstairs'. Wasn't very happy about what she showed to me: I am paying 100pounds a night to realize my dream but you treat aviation fans like that? No way I will come back, or at least until it's services show dramatic improvements. Later I stayed two nights at other Stockholm places and the reception are very welcoming!

So in conclusion, close to airport with convenient shuttle connection. Not cheap. Great idea and very clean inside. Pooooor customer services!!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank zumibruce

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 17 June 2011

My friend and I were just in Stockholm for the afternoon and leaving again the next morning so we wanted a convenient airport hotel. We were so pleased to see that a convenient airport hotel was not just the likes of Best Western. True, it cost more then the average airport digs, but it was so fun! The place just makes you smile. From the airport you hop on the #14 bus (free by the way) and away you go to the hotel. When we got there we lugged our suitcases up the hill only to find the elevator was out of order. I then lugged my heavy bags up the three flights of stairs which put me a bit out of sorts when I walked through the door. All worth it in the end. The room was tiny but so cool. The bed was very comfy. It was convenient to jump back on the bus to the airport to catch another bus into town.
That night back at the hotel we enjoyed all of the English channels on TV and then got some much needed sleep. The hotel was quiet which made that easier. Now keep in mind this is a hostel. So you guessed it, shared bathroom facilities down the hall. It was busy that morning and I felt very out of place. I took all of my shower stuff with me and headed to the closest available restroom. It was literally in front of the reception desk. It was busy out there with people getting breakfast and checking out. I went in and stood there for a minute. Couldn't do it. I couldn't take a shower knowing all of those people were right outside the door. I packed my stuff up and waited for a more private restroom to open up closer to my room. The shower I did get was nice. Plenty of hot water.
Breakfast was not very good. I was used to the sandwiches and pickles by this point in my trip but theirs were a bit expensive and sub-par. I really left hungry. :-(
Overall I suggest friends stay there for the novelty of it. It wouldn't make sense to use this hotel for a longer stay but if you need an airport hotel this is definitely the one! It was comfortable, clean, convenient to the airport and oh so cool.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank KelleyB1470
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 7 February 2011

I would stay again!

Great concept for a hotel for those who love airplanes. It is a Boeing 747-200 that was converted to a hotel. Rooms are small, but VERY comfortable.
- Great Internet connection
- Electrical outlets were easy and convenient to reach from the entire room
- Bed was unusually comfortable
- Very quiet
- Showers and toilets are shared
- Easy to get to/from the airport: 3 minutes on a free bus.

You can even roam around the airplane to see it from angles you never have before! I actually crawled inside the engine nacelle.

Very cool, and a must stay at the Stockholm airport.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
2 Thank BudgetBusiness
Frankfurt, Germany
Reviewed 29 January 2011

Being a real fan of aircrafts I was really excited about our one night stay. Unfortunately I must now say it was nice to have a look at it but I don't need it again.
It's considered a hostle but for the price of almost EUR 100 I expected something better. The staff was almost rude when we arrived at 10pm. Nothing of that famous swedish attitude.
The rooms didn't look very clean, where extremely hot without any chance to regulate the temperature and the material used for the interior really didn't look as if they were from the 21st century but from the 60s or 70s. Originals! The bad ones! Those we don't collect but throw away immediately when cleaning up the attic.
Hence, next time I'm forced to stay a night at Arlanda I will most likely not make the effort to carry my luggage in the bus and up to the jumbo but stay - for the same price - at a room that's right in the terminal.
Please note, even though I'm not recommending this place, you should try it for a night if i) you find this kind of hotel funny and want to see what it's really like and ii) you don't mind spending that much for just a hostle.

• Stayed January 2011
2 Thank PING79
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 26 November 2010

Access: Take Bus #14 from Airport to hostel

Check In: Quick, efficient.

Room: Ikea furnishing, very clean. Flat screen TV with BBC and other Swedish channels.

Bathroom: Small but very clean and efficient. Shower has good pressure.

Lounge area: At tip of plane and upper deck with retro business class seats.

Plus: Free Wifi!

Final Verdict: Good value (especially in expensive Sweden) and great place to stay during transit. Also, great fun for airline nuts.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank SFOtravelguy
Munich
Reviewed 24 September 2010

The old Boeing 747 plane which has been transformed into a hostel is is right next to the terminals of Arlanda airport. There is free shuttle service available. The concept s fantastic and really perfectly done BUT it is a hostel. Even I have been lucky to get a room with private bath (most do not have it) the best about the place is the stylish location itself.
Good things: Breakfast starts at 3 a.m., it is very very clean, staff is super friendly, free wifi. But you will hear everything from beside and above. Most rooms have bunk beds and the prices are not really attractive. Still it is a recommendation because of the concept and the style

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank CP0801
Sheffield
Reviewed 21 September 2010

The Jumbo Stay is a converted 747, but the inside doesn't feel much like a plane (thankfully). It was the best night I ever slept on a plane, as I could lie down and the beds were the most comfortable I had in Sweden.

The hostel was pretty quiet - not a place if you want a party, but a good place to sleep. I only had to share my room with one other person so it was not difficult to sleep despite it being a dorm room. I believe there are a few larger dorm rooms, but I don't think any are that big. There is a common space at the front of the plane which has some refreshments for purchase and seating.

I think most people just stay here one night on the way in or out of the airport, but it is possible you could use this as a base in Stockholm, though you have to add on the cost of daily round-trip bus or train tickets to the room price, which would probably put it out of most backpackers' budgets. Overall I would recommend it as a good, affordable place to stay at the airport, but I can't see much other reason to stay there.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank newfrog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockholm
Good Morning Arlanda
#3 of 9 in Arlandastad
Mariatorget
The Red Boat Hotel & Hostel
The Red Boat Hotel & Hostel
#93 of 154 in Stockholm
Connect Hotel Arlanda
#5 of 9 in Arlandastad

Been to Jumbo Stay? Share your experiences!