“Gives a whole new meaning to sleeping on a plane!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jumbo Stay

Jumbo Stay
Toronto, Canada
“Gives a whole new meaning to sleeping on a plane!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2011

I stayed at the Jumbo Stay back in September 2010 on a solo jaunt through Europe. As a young, female traveler I felt very comfortable here. Obviously due to the nature of the aircraft, there is only so much room available which makes socializing rather difficult. I had booked for a 4-share, but to my delight was given a 2-share for no extra fee. The set up is quite basic, simply a bunk bed -- however the bottom bunk is a double bed (woohoo!), a small television on the wall (bonus!), and a small mirror. The bathrooms are quite cool as well, however water did go everywhere when the shower was used -- be sure to wear shoes when going to use the bathroom, unless you don't mind getting your feet all wet. Check in and out was a breeze and the complimentary shuttle was extremely convenient. As this is hostel is located outside of Stockholm city center, I would recommend this to anyone who has an early flight out of Arlanda and would like to be close to the airport and experience this unique accommodation.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled solo
3 Thank TheMellybooProject

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 July 2011

A five minute airport courtesty bus ride from international arrivals gets you to reception of Jumbo Stay Arlanda Airport, Stockholm. The staff were friendly, helpful and energetic. The rooms were small, but clean, comfortable, very quiet and had great views! We stayed in a room with a single top bunk and double bottom bunk. the mattress was firm and great for my back, the sheets were pristine and soft and there was a TV in our room with English channels. All rooms have access to fast and reliable WIFI, as well you can hire an ipad at a good rate. There were plenty or toilets and showers, they were clean, modern and in keeping with the Aero theme. Breakfast was included in the price and quite nice. The stay was a bit pricey at $74 each, however you are paying for the convenience and novelty. All in all a 34 yr old female and 64 year male were very happy with Jumbo stay, well done to the founders, managers and staff.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank inthepypes1
Eugene, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2011

This is an awesome experience. They gutted this old jumbo and converted this into hotel room. No in room bath, we share 4 bathrooms. The value of this stay is in the uniqueness of the rooms.

This is a no frills, minimalist experience. Youth hostel experience. Friendly staff.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Silverwolf70
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2011

I have been paying attention to this place since its opening, dreaming that one day I could stay. Now the moment arrived and I was very much looking forward to it.

My flight was delayed and I didn't arrive at the place until 2am in the morning. Yes, the free shuttle bus from the terminal is very convenient and when you get off the bus, people are kind of watching you in a jealous way - look, this guy is staying in this cool place compared to our boring Raddisson!

Check in was okay smooth, maybe the reception wasn't too keen to greet someone at 2am. He provided me a wrong door card, which I inserted into the wrong room...ooops, sorry people sleeping in that room!

Get into my room, clean, okay size and comfortable bed. Toilet and shower are clean I have to admit, definitely above normal hostel standard. After 7 hours sleep, breakfast time, which was served in the front of the aircraft. Surely the guys serving the food were not too keen to asking whether you had a good sleep or how you liked this place. At that moment I found how poor customer services are at Jumbostay. After breakfast, I went to the top decker to see the common room and cockpit, which was locked. No material decoration/contents inside. When I walked down, the lady at the reception stared at me angrily, implying 'what are you doing upstairs'. Wasn't very happy about what she showed to me: I am paying 100pounds a night to realize my dream but you treat aviation fans like that? No way I will come back, or at least until it's services show dramatic improvements. Later I stayed two nights at other Stockholm places and the reception are very welcoming!

So in conclusion, close to airport with convenient shuttle connection. Not cheap. Great idea and very clean inside. Pooooor customer services!!!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank zumibruce
San Antonio, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

My friend and I were just in Stockholm for the afternoon and leaving again the next morning so we wanted a convenient airport hotel. We were so pleased to see that a convenient airport hotel was not just the likes of Best Western. True, it cost more then the average airport digs, but it was so fun! The place just makes you smile. From the airport you hop on the #14 bus (free by the way) and away you go to the hotel. When we got there we lugged our suitcases up the hill only to find the elevator was out of order. I then lugged my heavy bags up the three flights of stairs which put me a bit out of sorts when I walked through the door. All worth it in the end. The room was tiny but so cool. The bed was very comfy. It was convenient to jump back on the bus to the airport to catch another bus into town.
That night back at the hotel we enjoyed all of the English channels on TV and then got some much needed sleep. The hotel was quiet which made that easier. Now keep in mind this is a hostel. So you guessed it, shared bathroom facilities down the hall. It was busy that morning and I felt very out of place. I took all of my shower stuff with me and headed to the closest available restroom. It was literally in front of the reception desk. It was busy out there with people getting breakfast and checking out. I went in and stood there for a minute. Couldn't do it. I couldn't take a shower knowing all of those people were right outside the door. I packed my stuff up and waited for a more private restroom to open up closer to my room. The shower I did get was nice. Plenty of hot water.
Breakfast was not very good. I was used to the sandwiches and pickles by this point in my trip but theirs were a bit expensive and sub-par. I really left hungry. :-(
Overall I suggest friends stay there for the novelty of it. It wouldn't make sense to use this hotel for a longer stay but if you need an airport hotel this is definitely the one! It was comfortable, clean, convenient to the airport and oh so cool.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank KelleyB1470
Edmonton, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 February 2011

I would stay again!

Great concept for a hotel for those who love airplanes. It is a Boeing 747-200 that was converted to a hotel. Rooms are small, but VERY comfortable.
- Great Internet connection
- Electrical outlets were easy and convenient to reach from the entire room
- Bed was unusually comfortable
- Very quiet
- Showers and toilets are shared
- Easy to get to/from the airport: 3 minutes on a free bus.

You can even roam around the airplane to see it from angles you never have before! I actually crawled inside the engine nacelle.

Very cool, and a must stay at the Stockholm airport.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank BudgetBusiness
Frankfurt, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2011

Being a real fan of aircrafts I was really excited about our one night stay. Unfortunately I must now say it was nice to have a look at it but I don't need it again.
It's considered a hostle but for the price of almost EUR 100 I expected something better. The staff was almost rude when we arrived at 10pm. Nothing of that famous swedish attitude.
The rooms didn't look very clean, where extremely hot without any chance to regulate the temperature and the material used for the interior really didn't look as if they were from the 21st century but from the 60s or 70s. Originals! The bad ones! Those we don't collect but throw away immediately when cleaning up the attic.
Hence, next time I'm forced to stay a night at Arlanda I will most likely not make the effort to carry my luggage in the bus and up to the jumbo but stay - for the same price - at a room that's right in the terminal.
Please note, even though I'm not recommending this place, you should try it for a night if i) you find this kind of hotel funny and want to see what it's really like and ii) you don't mind spending that much for just a hostle.

• Stayed January 2011
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
      Location
      Rooms
2 Thank PING79
Also consider these accommodations in or near Stockholm
Clarion Hotel Arlanda Airport
Motel L
Motel L
#7 of 158 in Stockholm
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,733 reviews

Been to Jumbo Stay? Share your experiences!