Jumbo Stay
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
All reviewscockpit suitejumbo jetclose to the airportthe free shuttle busblack boxone nightengine roomsingle bunkunique staymain bodyearly flightstockholm arlanda airporthotel hostelunusual hotelprivate bathroomshower and toiletbed dorm
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 25 September 2011

Truly weird - a hotel in Sweden with sweeping views of Alaska's mountains. That must rank as the most weird and out of this world experience ever. As always, I enjoyed your promotion of this hotel, but I think even your poetic accounts of this establishment have travelled a little far into the fanciful!
I feel competent to write this review as it's clear that you transported me there, but I can't remember being there other than metaphysically.
I always read the TA newsletters, opinions with a soul!

Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Mike-W-MarlowBottom
Reviewed 6 September 2011

The host was very friendly and showed us the cockpit. Would really like to return and sleep there. I

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 August 2011

First of all, this is a hostel so if you're expecting a hotel, look elsewhere. This is unique. Second, this is Sweden. It's really, really expensive. The cheapest hotel I could find near the airport would set me back 126 euros a night. So, the fact that I could find a single private room here for 50 euros a night was amazing.

Pros:
The bed was incredibly comfortable. The linens were clean and soft.
Flat screen TV and free wifi was great
Breakfast included, granted not spectacular but filling
Clean shared bathrooms
Friendly reception 24 hours a day. The receptionists were really good about dealing with "looky-loos", people or guests who just wanted to look around in other people's rooms! Hello people? This is a hostel not a tourist attraction! A group even showed up at 10PM wanting to see the cockpit suite and then were upset when the receptionist said no. Really? What did they expect? The receptionist to kick out the people who paid for the room so they could see it?

Cons:
My single room was under the wing...under the wing...outside the airplane. So if I wanted to use the bathroom in the middle of the night, I would have to go down metal stairs, walk across the tarmac, go up the elevator and then find a free bathroom. I can't imagine doing this in the winter!
Also the door of my room was glass!!! What? I immediately complained since people often walked around the outside as tourists and no way was I going to sleep knowing that people could just look in. The receptionists mentioned they were going to change this in the future and easily set up sheets over my door so that it was covered.

All in all, I would stay here again. It was super quiet in my single room and I had a relaxing and restful night once the door was covered.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
3  Thank hkteach
Reviewed 13 August 2011

but to the rest of you travelers grounded in reality, you may just find this place so totally kitsch that it's cool. i mean, really, how many times can you say you've been able to sleep in a bed on a 747? (again, i'm excluding those well-heeled travelers who walk around with purse-dogs.) i lucked out because when i checked in, the owner/manager was the one who was on reception duty and he was so generous that he "upgraded" me from my reserved room (without a private bathroom) to the cockpit suite! i had originally planned to spend a night in downtown Stockholm, but changed my mind at the last minute and booked an extra night at the Jumbo instead. and speaking as a cynical traveler with very low expectations in each of my journeys (high expectations only lead to disappointment), i have to say that i made the right call to spend two nights at the Jumbo rather than the pricey downtown hotels -- my expectations were certainly exceeded. and if you're traveling with a Eurail pass, really, the Jumbo is a good place to stay -- it's not in the middle of the city and its frenetic energy -- but, depending on your pass, you can go back and forth between the Jumbo and downtown on the Arlanda Express how ever many times you wish. it makes a visit to Stockholm really just that -- a visit -- and maybe it's because i'm getting older but staying in the city for its nightlife is something i can do without.

anyway, down to brass tacks -- novelty, check (plus); convenience, check; value, check (there may be others who might disagree, but i'm sticking with my rating); quality of service, check (plus, plus) -- the staff has just been nothing but helpful, with recommendations as to where to go downtown, etc.; rooms, check -- while i did stay in the cockpit suite, i was able to see a "regular room" -- there's enough room for the number of people they've determined as the max for the room -- anyone who complains that they need more space is just greedy, i think; extra checks for the free wi-fi and the flat screen TVs; place is clean, another check; i can go on and on, but you get the picture.

if there's one thing that i could suggest, though -- as the place continues to make additional improvements or modifications -- maybe if one window in each of the rooms (the cockpit suite in particular) were made to be able to open, it would greatly enhance the cabin atmosphere...let the fresh air in and the stale air from inside out, other than that, this has been a great experience for me -- if i ever find myself in Stockholm again (or even just passing through), yeah, i'll be back. happy travels, all!

Room Tip: don't be afraid to ask if there's a room one level above your booking, you might just get it...
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank iceblue13
Reviewed 13 August 2011

Very kind people at the reception.
Room and bathroom clean and confortables ( I took a single room with private bathroom).
breakfast is a little poor but it is conforms to the airlines breakfast :-)
Near the airp...ops the hotel there is a bus station that allows you to reach the arlanda airport.

• Stayed: May 2011