“Tranquility in the City”
Review of Hotel Skeppsholmen

Hotel Skeppsholmen
Ranked #2 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Miami
“Tranquility in the City”
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Oh, if the walls could talk!

This is a gem of a hotel that has been converted from military barracks with charm and style. Avoid the cookie-cutter Hilton & Sheraton experience and stay surrounded by a little piece of Swedish history. There is nothing better than being in this refuge on a dark, blustery winter day in Stockholm.

I was welcomed with warm smiles by reception staff who offered to help when I explained the airline had lost my bag and I was, therefore, travelling very light. They carefully recommended nearby shops for necessities and diligently called the airline every day until the bag was located and delivered to my room.

My top floor room had a wonderful view of the water. Although a bit small because the dormer limited the ceiling height (remember, these are converted military quarters), the space was spotless. Bathroom was compact but functional. The flat stone in the sink is ingenious (and very cool!) The free wireless internet connection had a strong and reliable signal.

Three things about the HS are memorable and worthy of my recommendation:

1. Quiet Location
It's an easy stroll from the city center. The tranquility of the island is a huge draw. The #65 bus departs just outside Central Terminal every 20 minutes, weekdays. Get off at the last stop, which is at the entrance to the hotel. You must buy your ticket before boarding (strips of tickets are available at any Pressbyrån convenience store.) But if you have no luggage - walk.

2. Breakfast
All you could want. Great variety. Outstanding quality buffet-style hot and cold dishes - replenished frequently. Plenty of seating. Tables were cleared promptly by smiling staff. Complimentary English and Swedish newspapers make you want to linger over a second cup of coffee.

3. Staff
Reception staff were charming. Genuine smiles. Real caring attitude.

If you want a great "un-hotel" experience, then you'll love the Skeppsholmen.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank PegasusMiami
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, 20 December 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much taking the time to write this wonderful review!
So glad to read you had a nice stay in Stockholm and with us! Yes we have a wonderful quiet location and at the same time we are in the city centre, glad to hear you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast.
Extra glad to read your kind words about my team! Be assure I will inform them!

I hope I will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again.

Best and Merry Christmas!
Joachim Olausson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 28 November 2011

The best thing about this hotel is the wonderful location. It is within walking distance of downtown but it feels quiet and secluded because it is on a small island (connected by bridge) with lots of trees. The service was friendly but not obtrusive. The breakfasts were excellent, as was dinner. The bathroom was a little too form over function: The glass partition for the shower was not long enough so water ended up all over the bathroom whenever one of us took a shower. But that's a minor quibble. All in all, we were very happy with this hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and what a lovely one to receive.
Yes we are very fortunate that the government allowed us to open this hotel in these historical buildings and on this stunning Island in the city centre!
Yes the bathrooms are stylish but we have to work on the function. Glad to hear you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast and great to hear you also had dinner in our restaurant Långa Raden.

Best and I wish you a Merry Christmas!
Sweden
Reviewed 28 November 2011

This hotel opened about two years ago, and until some six months ago I would have given it 5/5. It´s a wonderful design hotel, in a fantastic location, food and service used to be great. Now, it seems, some basic things have been forgotten: the staff is not very friendly, but grumpy, and you get the feeling to be bothering them. Food in the restaurant is only average, and the breakfast, which used to have ample choice, is below what you expect from a hotel of this class, both in terms of price and rating. There are better alternatives for the money in Stockholm!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, 29 November 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for the time to write this review!
I am glad to hear you have been staying with us a couple of times.
I am really concerned about your last experience and that you felt that my team was not friendly.
We have as you say a fantastic location and a wonderful design in these historical buildings but what we really want to be best at is our service level and I am truly sorry we failed during your last visit.
Sorry to hear you felt our food is only average and same with the complimentary breakfast. We normally get amazing nice feedback about our kitchen so I hope you want to try us again and then please mail me on joachim@hotelskeppsholmen.se and I will personally book you in.

Best from Stockholm,
Beijing
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I would like to say thanks for all of your guys, gave us very great services & helpful when we stay in hotel during 1-7 July, 2011.
This is our first time to visit at Stockholm, it's a so beautiful city. And we had very great time in Stockholm.

Especially when we stay in hotelskeppsholmen, From reception, house keeping and waiter(and waiteress), all of them gave us very very good services & memory. The taste of food in hotel's restaurant is so delicious (The meat ball is my favorite)

Specifically thanks for one waitress , She have a very great smile (just like a sunshine, when u see her smile, u'll feel it;s so warm), pretty and so patient for waiting our order ^_^. .

We'll decide visit Stockholm again and also stay in hotel skeppsholmen again!

Room Tip: All the room are so good~~
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and what a lovely one to receive.
So glad to read you had a nice stay in Stockholm and our hotel.
Be assure I will inform my team about your kind words about them!
I agree, our meatballs are tasty!
Best and I hope I will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again.

Almhult, Sweden
Reviewed 27 November 2011

If you go around christmas and it is snowing this destination is like a fairytale. Located on Skeppsholmen Island, you are away from the hustle and bustle enough for it to be romantic but so close, just a walk over the bridge to the centre of Stockholm for shopping, bars, museums etc. On the island there is the museum of modern art a few minutes walk from the hotel and some beautiful architecture and if you don't want to walk over the bridge you can take a boat to the city centre from the island. But, the best thing about this hotel is the breakfast. The most hedonistic breakfast I have ever had, a beautiful array of homemade breads, crispy bacon, eggs, different teas, homemade juices....and you can keep going for as much as you would like, surrounded by powdery snow, fairy lights and candles and a good selection of magazines and books. The only downfall is the dinner, extremely expensive, best to go out and eat. We got the hotel price as part of a deal, so better value for money.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emmatait
Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 November 2011

Great location on Skepsholmen island, made our stay feel like a real holiday. Very quiet and pretty spot, about 15 minutes walk to the city centre. Excellent service and very comfy beds. Decor edgy though not always practical. Best breakfasts ever, by candlelight. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2011
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, 22 November 2011
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this nice review.
I and my team are glad we made your stay like a real holiday! We are very proud over our breakfast and it’s always nice with candles on the table at breakfast now when Stockholm is going in to a darker season.

Best,
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 November 2011

This hotel was the last stop on our recent honeymoon and was ideal for a relaxing stay before returning to normal life. The hotel was wonderful and the food delicious, breakfast in particular was brilliant; I don't think I've started the day that well in a long time! The staff were so helpful and were obviously old hands at coping with people whose Swedish is sadly lacking, although we did try!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Becky S
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this nice review.
Glad to hear we were a stop on your honeymoon and I am pleased to hear you had a nice stay with us. Please be assure I will inform my team about your comments about them.

Best and next time you will visit us I will personally learn you some Swedish!