“A great night's sleep, great room and excellent breakfast”
Review of Hotel Skeppsholmen

Hotel Skeppsholmen
Ranked #2 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
Oslo
“A great night's sleep, great room and excellent breakfast”
Reviewed 7 November 2013

Loved this hotel from the moment I got there. A fantastic location, extremely quiet but close to the very centre of Stockholm. The first thing I liked was the friendly welcome I received. The loft type room I had was very stylishly furnished but very welcoming. After a full day and evening of meetings I enjoyed a fantastic night's sleep - one of my key indicators of a decent hotel. The shower was excellent - also a big plus.
The breakfast room was very relaxed and full of Swedish style. I was able to enjoy a good breakfast meeting there in comfort with good coffee and choice of food before leaving for the airport. I know where I'll stay net time I'm in Stockholm.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, 10 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this lovely review

My team and I are very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are already looking forward to welcome you back next time you visit Stockholm.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (260)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We had trouble getting a hotel for our 5 night stay and finally were successful with the Skeppsholmen. it has a great location being quiet, but still walking distance to the city centre, and historic associations as it had been a Marine Barracks. The first downside was the walk to our room with 2 large cases and 2 small carry on cases; our room was in the second building requiring a reasonable walk, up and down steps and across a short path, but no assistance was offered. We then asked for a table in the restaurant for dinner, but this was not available except at 6.00pm, not really what is needed on a relaxed holiday. Eventually, we never did have dinner there as it seemed to be full with functions and, possibly, non-residents.We finished going to the Hotel Lydmar for dinner, which was recommended by a young member of staff who wasn't around at our arrival, and it was fine.

The next disappointment was the room, clearly meant to be cutting edge design and certainly big enough for our stay. However, like the review of KabulGirl, the design consultants hadn't really considered the practicality of the design, particularly of the ensuite bathroom. Still fresh air, as there wasn't airconditioning, was a plus. Breakfast suited us, but it was chaotic as the food was set out on a bench and tables, that were so close to each other that it was difficult to get around them if other people were there.

Overall, I find it difficult to see how it gets to be number 2 in Stockholm (it was number 1 in June).

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the harbour are great for the view and I suggest the building closer to the city m...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Rex06
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
Your feedback is important to us.

As glad I am that you enjoyed our stunning location I am concerned that we didn't live up to your expectations.
We always ask if we can help with luggage and I am sorry that we failed to ask you, be assure I will speak to my team about this.
We are lucky to have a popular restaurant both for hotel guests and for local Stockholmers, I am sorry we couldn't accommodate your request the first evening.

It has has been a challenge to convert these historical buildings from 1699 to a modern Eco Labeled hotel, we know we are not the most practical hotel, some due to our listed buildings and some due to our Swedish interior design but we hope our amazing history and that we are the first hotel in Sweden to be Eco Labeled / Green Hotel from start makes up for this.
We are one of the few hotels in Stockholm that have air condition, I am sorry you missed this.

Glad you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast buffet, the concept is " going in to our kitchen "

Once again I am sorry that we didn't live up to your expectations, if you will visit our capital again I hope you will give us another chance and then please mail me personally and I will take care of your reservation.

Joachim@hotelskeppsholmen.se
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 November 2013

I was going to book the Rival Hotel but it was booked up and ended up booking Hotel Skeppsholmen, I'm very glad it happened that way, it was perfect. The hotel is located in a little peaceful island in the middle of Stockholm, we were very lucky with the sunny but cold crisp Autumn weather - the island looked beautiful.

There are only two reasons why I'm not giving it 5 stars. First, the standard rooms are very small (no bath) but it's a historical building so I guess it wasn't all up to the architects. Secondly, we got there at night and it can be confusing at first to be able to find your room - it would had been nice if someone had helped us with our bags and showed us the way.

We had dinner at the hotels restaurant and it was a great surprise - very cosy, great service and delicious food.

The modern art museum nearby is an interesting building and we really enjoyed the exhibitions (a stay at the hotel comes with free entrance tickets). The cake and coffee at the museum's cafe is recommended too.

Room Tip: Might be worth it booking one of the larger rooms
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank LondonLace
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this review and what a nice one to receive.

My team and I are very glad that you choose us for your Stockholm stay and glad to read that you enjoyed your stay.
We are very proud over our Head Chef Magnus Johansson so I am very pleased that you enjoyed our Restaurant Långa Raden.

It's correct it has been a challenge to convert these historical buildings from 1699 to a hotel and our standard rooms doesn't have bath tubs but some of our larger room categories like Superior XL or our Deluxe Sea and Garden rooms have bath tubs.

We normally offers help with the luggage, I am sorry we failed this time, be assure I will talk to my team about this.

I hope I will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again to our Eco Labeled hotel.

Reviewed 2 November 2013 via mobile

Skeppsholmen island is one of the best place to be in Stockholm, especially for couples. We stayed 5 wonderfull days here. You can take the boat just near the hotel to go in the old town (Slussen) or visit museums on Djurgarden island. You have also a bus (65) which deserve the city center every 15 min. The hotel is very clean and design, the staff is helpfull and the breakfast is very diversified.
Negative points : the room service which has nothing else than meatballs and shrimp sandwichs. The design elements aren't really pratictable and easy to use : sink in the bathroom, quilt in the chamber (tiny for two people), light above the bed... But except that, no doubt the place is one of the nicest in Stockholm.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review

Very glad to read that you enjoyed our stunning location and I agree! it is very charming to be able to take the ferry to the Old Town and Djurgården were the amazing Vasa Museum is situated for example.
Also glad to read you enjoyed our complimentary breakfast to the service from my team.

We are located in historical buildings from 1699 so to convert these listed buildings in to a hotel has been a challenge and we know we are not the most practical hotel design wise but hope our amazing history together with our Swedish interior makes up for this.

Once again very glad to read you enjoyed your stay and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 October 2013 via mobile

We loved everything about this hotel- it felt like a beautiful country house but in the harbour and on the city doorstep. We arrived exhausted after our 30 hour flight from Australia and this was heaven . Our beautiful contemporary room so well described by others - flooded with sunlight, white, spacious - the fresh air- the lovely walk through the garden to the most inviting breakfast room where we lingered for ages eating delicious bread and so much more. We walked around the island at sunrise, played tennis , napped, caught the ferry, visited the old city, felt restored and in love with Stockholm. Our 14 year old son loved it just as much. To say 'Highly recommended ' is an understatement. We stayed for three unforgettable days in late September.
RPM

• Stayed September 2013
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, 5 November 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this lovely review.

My team and I are very glad to read you enjoyed your stay with us!
We are very lucky to situated on this lush green island but still in the city centre.

We hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back next time you visit Scandinavia and Sweden.

London
Reviewed 30 October 2013

Hotel Skeppsholmen lived up to all the reviews on tripadvisor!! Pure bliss. It is situated on a small island connected by bridge to the 'mainland' of Stockholm City. Everything we wanted to see was in in walking distance and what beautiful scenery for walking. Also on the Island is the Museum of Modern amongst things to see.

We booked a deluxe room with sea and garden view - perfect. We stayed in the 2nd building on the 2nd floor with views across to the Stockholm Old Town. The hotel are former marine barracks designed by the same Architect who did the Royal Palace. The hotel has been renovated beautifully. The room had wooden floors with under floor heating, and the bathroom all tiled also under floor heating. Our room had three gorgeous sets of picture windows (with shutters) that can all be opened - a rare luxury to have this and have fresh air. And beautiful direct sunlight.

The breakfast suited me perfectly as I love bread and boy can the Hotel make amazing fresh breads. Sadly the breakfast wasn't really to the other half's liking - he's a poached egg man and it wasn't available.

Our bathroom had a great rain shower and the bathroom sink very feng shui with a large 'pebble' over the plug hole.

If you want the best of both worlds - peace and quiet for relaxing and sleeping AND only a stone's throw away from the bars, and restaurnts - then you MUST stay at Hotel Skeppsholmen!!!

Room Tip: If you are booking a deluxe room with sea and garden view then make sure you stay in the 2nd buildin...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KabulGirl
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and what a lovely one to receive.

My team and I are very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

It's correct that our historical buildings from 1699 have the same architect who did the Royal Palace. At this time Sweden and Europe was going through tough times so the architect Mr. Tessin the younger one got permission from King Karl XII to take material from official buildings that was in a bad condition to build our buildings, so as proud we are that we were the first Eco labeled / Green hotel from start in Sweden when we opened 2009 we are also proud over the fact that the our listed and historical buildings was build by used material from year 1699.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again.

Huizen, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
Reviewed 25 October 2013

What a wonderful hotel. Quiet, friendly staff, and superb location. Good restaurant in a very cosy atmosphere. Personal welcome note of managing director. Only the sink in the bathroom...Did not work it out yet. Will come again and will recommend my colleagues. Tak!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, 29 October 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this nice review.

My team and I are very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.
Also very pleased that you enjoyed our Restaurant Långa Raden.

We hope to welcome you back next time you visit our capital.