“Not value for money”
Review of Hotel Skeppsholmen

Hotel Skeppsholmen
Ranked #3 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed for 1 night here this week followed by 3 nights at the wonderful Stallmastaragarten. I agree with the positive reviews about the location and the room design, but for me it wasn't worth the price because of the lack of attention to small details which one expects from a hotel in this price change.

I arrived quite late in the day in the central station and realised that the bus 65 that goes to the hotel doesn't run after 6: 30pm. I'm disappointed the hotel didn't bother mentioning this on their website.

The cabbie had difficulty finding the hotel because it is not properly signposted.

Checked in smoothly but I had to lug my bag myself through the sand to the 2nd block where my room was. I think low levels of staffing is common in Sweden but no apology was given. Again the signs to the block were a bit confusing and it was frustrating finding my room.

The room was very good. But no ironing board and no iPod dock. The TV remote didn't work properly. The concierge girl quickly delivered the former but wrt the remote, just said I had to use the number buttons.

Breakfast was good, served outdoors in a scenic garden.

Overall I'm not sure what the fuss re this place is about. I couldn't get any sense of history in the place, it's all very modern. Everybody raves about the location- actually it's not the centre and you are much better off staying elsewhere and taking the 65 (during the day, mind you) to visit the beautiful island and the hotel's cute cafe.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank timusathem28
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded 25 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review about your stay and our Eco labeled hotel.
You feedback is important to us.

As glad I am that you enjoyed our breakfast and interior I am sorry you felt that your stay wasn't value for money.
We are on the higher rate scale but all our rates are always inclusive of VAT, service charges, wireless Internet and our famous breakfast buffet.

We normally always ask our guest about help with the luggage, I am sorry we failed to ask you, also sorry that your taxi didn't find us, we always recommend to use the official taxi company's like Taxi Stockholm, they know where all hotels are and also don't overcharge.

I am sorry you didn't feel the historical ambiance, we are very glad that the Swedish Government who are the owners of the buildings let us open up this hotel 4 1/2 years ago in these historical buildings from 1699 and we
" speak proudly " about our history on everything from our web to the special plague in all our rooms which is dedicated to the people that has been living in the different rooms since 1699.

Regarding our location, Stockholm is not a large city and where ever you stay all attractions are very close by and the charm with our city is that is walkable to all different sights.

Our amazing location on this lush green island but still in the city centre is normally very appreciated, if you don't like walking the charming ferris that goes 7 days a week all year around is a great option, another great way is to use the city bikes and we are very lucky to have a stand next to the hotel and you can buy the card at our Front Desk.

I hope you enjoyed our capital.

Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (1,353)

Reviewed 24 May 2014

Stayed one night, warm in May, was idyllic; island with many museum's on it, green space and coastal inlet. Hotel is converted 1700s naval barracks build facing sea. So, the rooms are constrained a bit, working within the structure of a listed building. Very nice design, old floor boards painted off grey, really good bathrooms; perhaps a bit small for the price range (but, I guess there will always be compromises). Reception were very helpful and cheery; we ate lunch in the restaurant on arrival; next day we visited museums before leaving (v. good breakfast). Slept really well during the night, as it was so quiet on the island (sea noises); even though you are only a 10 min walk from the centre of Stockholm. A real worthwhile experience.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank mukdennnis

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and what a lovely one to receive.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed enjoyed everything from our stunning location, our historical buildings from 1699, our Swedish interior by renowned
Swedish interiors Claesson Koivisto Rune to the service from my team.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again.

Reviewed 24 May 2014

The hotel is set in pleasant gardens about a 10 minute walk away from the city centre.
It has been recently converted from a former barracks and is well appointed, the wash basin is sure to amuse! The restaurant serves a limited menu of Swedish dishes which we enjoyed. The breakfasts are very good. The hotel seemed popular with locals which is always a good sign.
The young staff are friendly and helpful and all speak good English!

Room Tip: Ask for one with a view of the harbour
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you so much for this lovely review.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and extra glad to read your comments about my team, be assure I will inform them.

Last weekend we opened up our terrace with view over our gardens and sea and and also our new and extended summer menu.

My team and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back next time you visit our capital.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

The hotel is very nice, nice location but a bit far from the city center. The rooms are a bit small but overall the hotel is unique! I recommend this hotel for families with young adults and children. Teenagers might think it's annoying because it is far from the center.

Room Tip: As the hotel is 'isolated' every room is quiet
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Thank you so much for this lovely review.
My team and I are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are very lucky to be situated on this lush green island but still in the city centre with all of Stockholm's attractions within walking distance.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed in this lovely hotel with my wife as part of a weekend visit to Stockholm.

Don't be put off by the barracks style appearance of the hotel from the outside. The hotel was modern, clean and our superior room although small had chic Swedish style furnishings. The young hotel staff provided a particularly friendly and helpful service throughout.

What made it for us was the hotel's quiet Island setting and the fact it was within walking distance of the city. Third, the quality of the food was excellent.

Stockholm was a great city in which to sightsee. It's clean, hip and we made good use of the 'Stockholm card' which, once purchased, gave us access to the majority of museums and other sights we visited. We'd love to return in the Summer in warmer weather.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank OtelInspector
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed our stunning location on this green island but still in the city centre, our historical buildings from 1699, our Swedish interior by Claesson Koivisto Rune to our restaurant Långa Raden and our Swedish cuisine.

Extra glad to read your comments about my team, be assure I will inform them.

We are looking forward to welcome you back next time you visit our capital.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

Stayed at Hotel Skeppsholmen for 3 nights in early May. It was perfect in almost every way. The location is fabulous. It's quiet and tranquil as it is on the island of Skeppsholmen. However, it is located very close to the city centre and the old town Gamla Stan (about 15-20 min walk). It's also only a 10 min bus ride from the Central Station (which is connected to the airport).

The hotel's luxurious - bed's comfortable, room's of a good size and toiletries from Orla Kiely! The hotel has a most relaxed feel and ambience to it. And the breakfast is of a decent variety and spread. The only issue i had was that the design of the bathroom sink and the shower (no doors), although beautiful, meant that there's quite a bit of water spilling/splashing out onto the floor.

Overall, it was a most wonderful stay at the hotel. I loved it.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo

Thank you so much for this lovely review.

My team and I are vet glad to read that you enjoyed everything from our stunning location, our Duxiana beds, our complimentary breakfast buffet to our relaxed ambiance.

I agree our famous basins are stylish but not the most practical.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again.

Best,

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We've spent a long WE in Stocholm at the Skeppsholmen and the hotel was really good. Very nice location just in front of the sea in a very quiet area at few minutes walking distance from most of the attractions in Stockholm like Gamla Stan, Royal Palace, Commercial area ecc.. Just behind the hotel there is a bike parking stand managed by Stochkolm city bikes which is very useful to ride around the city whith no problem and at a very reasonable cost.
Hotel is very clean, the restaurant is good and breakfast superb.

Room Tip: Standard rooms are quite small, but very comfortable in any case. Sea/Garden view must be preferred...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and what a great one to receive.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed our stunning location with all the amazing attractions within walking instance, or by the Stockholm city bikes which we have a stand next to the hotel.
Also glad to read that you enjoyed our restaurant and our complimentary breakfast.