“Wonderful location: Excellent breakfast”
Review of Hotel Skeppsholmen

Hotel Skeppsholmen
Ranked #3 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed here for four nights on our recent, and first, visit to Stockholm. Our choice was based on the hotel's location and its 'quirkiness'; on this occasion we didn't want a standard international brand. The hotel is beautifully situated, only a hundred yards from the water's edge, and handy for the regular ferry service. It does take you a good ten or fifteen minutes to walk into the city centre but this suited us fine. And it is a lovely walk, across the bridge and with great views. And if it's wet or you've had enough walking for the day, you can take the No 65 bus which stops right outside the hotel.The breakfast is terrific, offering great choice and catering for those who like to start the day with a traditional hot breakfast and those with more continental tastes. (The scrambled eggs are a particular highlight.) Staff were unfailingly helpful and friendly. Our sea view room was spacious, though we did have to contend with sloping ceilings, and very well appointed-the bed was very comfortable indeed. British visitors may be disappointed that there are no tea-making facilities in the rooms.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Comfortseeker58
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this lovely review.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed everything from our location on this lush green island in the city, our popular complimentary breakfast buffet ( I agree! The scrambled eggs are a keeper) to the service from my team.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again to our Eco labeled hotel.

Best from a sunny Stockholm,

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We recently stayed at this lovely hotel on an island within easy walking distance to all the sights in Stockholm. What a treat to walk back over the bridge at the end of a busy touring day and end up at your charming hotel in a perfect setting. It is almost like being in your own private park! Don't expect a luxurious lobby or fancy rooms, but the experience was one of my very favorites of many years of travel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and what a lovely one to receive.
Very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us! You are spot on! Our luxury is not big chandeliers etc, our "luxury" is our historical buildings from 1699, our stunning location on this lush green island but still in the city centre, our Swedish concept to that we are a Eco Labeled hotel.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back next time you visit our capital.

Reviewed 5 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 nights in the beginning of June. The hotel is in a quite location very close to the city. The city is easy to get to by bus (number 65) or by foot. The rooms are small but nice and clean. We did enjoy the breakfast very much and the breakfast attendant was polite and helpful. Only negative about this hotel is that the fitness room is VERY small. We will definitely stay here next time we visit Stockholm which we discovered is a fantastic city with lots of interesting history.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for this nice review.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Yes our mini gym is not large but we also work with gym and fitness centres in the city.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

We visited the hotel in early spring, and found it very quiet and peaceful, but still close to most of Central Stockholm. Recommend use of the boats cris-crossing the Harbor they get you where you want to og in no time.
The Place got a bit of a hum in the weekend, with a lot of famillies strolling Skeppsholmen and stoppping for a cofffe.
I liked the design of the rooms and simple and minimalistic interiors, both a contrast to the old military buildings as well as a continuation of the military history. Be aware, though, that the low buildings may require a bit of a walk to get to the rooms.

The staff was friendly and very helpful with everything we asked for, and contributed to very Nice stay

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this lovely review.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with is and extra glad to read your comments about my team.
Be assure I will inform them.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

This is not a hotel for someone who wants "plush" or to be pampered in grand style. HOWEVER, it offers a different kind of luxury: a water-side retreat with lush gardens tucked into a semi-private island within easy walking distance to all that Stockholm has to offer. Nothing like it elsewhere in the city, Skeppsholmen is an adult-oriented oasis reached by bridge (both vehicular and pedestrian) or boat and is perfect for someone who likes a bit of remove at the end of a long day. Drinks in the garden sunset water-front views are a must-do. Several of Stockholm's best museums are actually on the island with you. Rooms are a tad austere (monastic perhaps?) though the basic necessities are there including a killer shower. The Swedes really knows from hot water. The breakfast buffet included with your room is sumptuous with a wide variety of offerings from eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, cheese, pate, croissant, breakfast cakes, focaccia, artisanal breads, teas, coffees, and fresh juices. This rough description doesn't do justice, though, to the high quality of each individual ingredient. Other meals at the hotel are also worth the money -- particularly the excellent shrimp salad -- if staying in is your thing. The young staff is helpful, efficient, knowledgeable, multi-lingual and charming.

Room Tip: Ask for a 2nd floor water view room in the "second" building. The main building houses th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank alfadog
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for writing this review and what a great one to receive.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed everything from our location, our complimentary breakfast buffet to the service from my team.

I agree! It's quite spectacular to sit in one of our sun chairs in our garden with view of the sea, it feels like you are in the archipelago but you are in the city centre.

Very pleased to read that you enjoyed our restaurant Långa Raden, we are very proud to have Magnus Johansson as our Head Chef and the Swedish cuisine he serves.

Best and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to our Eco labeled hotel next time you visit Stockholm.

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Firstly I have to say what an unusual and yet beautiful hotel steeped in history. Formerly a naval barracks this hotel has been magically transformed into a top class boutique hotel and somehow managing to keep some of that historic charm. Its ideally located for the local museums (The Vasa museum is not to be missed!) and walking distance to the local shops and boat ferries. The two mainline stations are a bit of a walk though, so get a taxi.

I stayed at the Skeppholmen back in October 2013 as part of a business trip. Unfortunately my passport was mislaid so had an accidental extra three nights in the hotel. It was certainly no hardship. The rooms are finished to a high standard, albeit a little small but by no means cramped. Modern decor and a lovely shower. Breakfast is a typical Swedish affair with a variety of fish, cold meats and cheeses on offer with fresh bread and huge range of teas and a fresh coffee machine. You wont be disappointed with the spread.

The hotel were really understanding when I mentioned about my mislaid passport and gave me a riverside view, which is stunning during the day. The manager on duty Carl Chapal was an absolute star, providing a complimentary pair of socks and underwear (which they handily sell in the room if you're caught short) to get me started and extended the rate I had got through AMEX over the weekend.

I would without hesitation be staying at the Skeppsholmen again. Sadly my last visit out to Sweden another hotel was booked for me, and I found myself wishing I'd cancelled and stayed here again.

Thanks again to Carl and the team for making me feel so at home. Its the little things that make a big difference.

Room Tip: Ask for a riverside view. You wont regret it. May be worth paying a little extra for the privilege.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this review and what a lovely one to receive.
Much appreciated that you took the time to write this one though it was a while ago you stayed with us.

Very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and extra glad to read your comments about my team, be assure I will inform them.

Also glad that you enjoyed our popular complimentary breakfast buffet.

Best from a sunny Stockholm,

Reviewed 28 May 2014

A short walk through Stockholm brought us to Skeppsholmen Island. Walking over the little bridge, we found a tranquil island of parks, fantastic boats, historic places. The Hotel was a treasure. The building is very historic but the interiors are beautifully designed modern style (the bathroom sink was pretty funny), in the middle of a beautiful waterfront garden. I could write a whole paragraph about the breakfast, which was amazing.

The rooms, as mentioned by others, are small. But we were very comfortable. The hotel has various amenities including tennis courts and a business center. We didn't use any of them so I can't comment on those.

Skeppsholmen Island was such a treasure - easy to reach the rest of Stockholm via convenient bike rental and ferry, or walking (taxis are crazy expensive). But we almost didn't want to leave. The island is really special, and home to several lovely museums and lots of wooden and historic boats. Plus another little island connected by footbridge.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and what a lovely one to receive.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed everything from our stunning location, our historical buildings from 1699, our Swedish interior to our complimentary breakfast buffet and I agree! it's quite wonderful to start your morning with breakfast on our terrace with view over our garden and the sea.

My team and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again.