“Quiet, different, convenient for ferries, good waterfront location good rather than very good”
Review of Hotel Skeppsholmen

Hotel Skeppsholmen
Ranked #3 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 23 June 2014

As many have already stated this is a former barracks and as such there is not much any one could do to change the layout. Our room was of a decent size and very clean. The bed was of a reasonable size (king) but too soft for my preference and the quilt was for a double bed which was interesting. Towels and robes were of good quality and there were plenty of toiletries. The floor is of striped floorboards and the furniture boutique modern. There is no bath just a rain fall shower head and a hand held spray in a two door cubicle. The dining room is to the right of reception and very open plan but with the tables close to each other. The hotel indicates that is for social dining. I presume so guests can chat to each other. Not my preference. Honestly there is nothing wrong with the the hotel but I consider that it has an upmarket hostel feel to it. Also I do consider that some staff on reception could improve their customer service skills and were not that helpful on arrival. However those on duty when we checked out were very gracious. We dined at the hotel twice and the food, service and wine was very good. Breakfast which was included was also very good with plenty of choice and of excellent quality. What was annoying was the strong stale smells of cooking on the second floor in the corridor. This was off putting. The hotel location is very quiet with absolutely no traffic noise of a modern city. If boutique small hotels in quiet locations within walking distance to the centre are your thing then you should consider this very seriously.

Room Tip: A double with a sea garden view is the best choice.
1  Thank 0213
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed everything from our location, our Swedish interior, our food and service in the restaurant to our popular complimentary breakfast buffet.
I am sorry to read that the service upon check in wasn't up to our normal standards, be assure I will speak to my team about this. Glad to read that the service at checkout was gracious.

As great I think some upmarket hostels are I don't agree on your comparison with us being one.
We know we are not a typical first class hotel, our " luxury" is our location on this green lush island in the city centre, our historical and listed buildings from 1699, our Swedish concept in everything we do to that we are a Eco labeled hotel.

I hope you enjoyed our stunning capital and hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Tough to beat the location, right in the heart of Stockholm. Very clean, comfortable, very modern hotel. The reception desk might be the only area where a tiny bit of Southern European hospitality might burnish the considerable charm of the hotel.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

As glad I am that you enjoyed our location to the interior of our hotel I am deeply concerned we didn't deliver good service at the Front Desk, be assure I will speak to my team about this.

I hope you enjoyed our capital and hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

We spent three days here before departing on our Baltic Cruise. It was a great experience and perfect hotel. The breakfast was included with our room and was outstanding. The staff was very available and always helpful. Whenever they called a taxi for us, it came immediately which was appreciated. The hotel location is good and yet quiet and peaceful. Our room was comfortable and roomy. I definitely would stay here again and recommend it to others! Great choice!!!.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this lovely review.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed everything from a location, the service from my team to our popular complimentary breakfast buffet.

I hope you had a great Baltic cruise and we hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back if you will visit Stockholm in the future.

Best,

Reviewed 20 June 2014

Loved this hotel. It was quite different from my previous stay in Stockholm in Old Town. Hotel Skeppsholmen is a former naval barracks transformed into a top class boutique hotel. It is on the water front, really kind of a hideaway, just next to some of the cities best museums! About 10 minute walk to the city center. Rooms were modern a and quiet. The breakfast buffet is included with your room and offers an array of morning cakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, ham, cheese, pate, croissant, breads, teas, coffees, and fresh juices. Really enjoyed the stay and would recommend.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded 21 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and what a great one to receive.

My team and I are very glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and O am very pleased that you enjoyed our popular complimentary breakfast buffet.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again to our Eco labeled hotel.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

This hotel is located on an island about a short mile walk across a bridge to the Grand Hotel and the Old City, Gamla Stan. Completely modernized rooms in a former Naval barracks. Beautiful bathrooms and a fantastic shower. A staff that is completely focused on customer service and a location that is a little bit of paradise. Great outdoor dining location for breakfast through to a evening night cap! I would highly recommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Third Floor rooms are great!

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this lovely review.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and extra glad to read your comments about my team!
Be assure they have read your review.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back next time you visit Stockholm.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

I have stayed several times on business in Stockholm, and have come to prefer this lovely, peaceful hotel on Skeppsholmen (Ship's Isle) next to the Old Town. It is not like any other hotel you will stay in. It's only three stories for a start - a long low building that is a recently restored navy dormitory. The rooms are all different sizes, and its worth trying to get a larger one. I managed to get a room in the attic on the third floor, and its was exceptional. The beds was very comfortable, the furniture and fittings were modern (in a Swedish style) and of good quality. The bathroom was extremely modern, but (like most of the hotel) somewhat eccentric. I had a superb and tranquil breakfast in the rambling restaurant, which also extends outside in good weather. The best thing about the hotel, though, is its location on an island in the harbour. It is a quiet and relaxing spot, away from busy roads, but still very central.

Room Tip: Try to get a room facing the sea, preferably on the third floor
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this lovely review.

My team and I are very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are very lucky that the Swedish government who are the owners of our historical buildings from 1699 let us open up this Swedish lifestyle Eco labeled hotel 4 1/2 years ago.
I agree our stunning location is quite magical.

Best from Stockholm who celebrates Midsummers eve.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Hotel Skeppsholmen is in a very pleasant location and is also convenient to the rest of the city. A bus stop 2 minutes from the hotel arrives at Central Station in 10 to 15 minutes. My wife and I stayed here for five nights in June of 2014. We had a large, second floor room facing the water which was peaceful and completely free of any city sounds, allowing us to sleep with the windows open. The room itself was quite comfortable, with a good shower, and the sink, designed like water from the faucet pouring on a stone, was an interesting design touch and not problematic. We had a couple minor issues- only one towel was left one morning by a distracted housekeeper, the room phone was not functioning when I expected a business call from the U.S.- but the staff were very pleasant and helpful and responded quickly. I am not an enthusiast of buffet breakfasts, but the selection at the hotel was fine and better than many. We enjoyed our stay at Hotel Skeppsholmen and can recommend it highly.

Room Tip: A room facing the water would be highly preferable.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and what a lovely review to receive.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed everything from our rooms, the service from my team to our popular complimentary breakfast buffet.
I hope you tried the salmon which is my favourite.

I hope you enjoyed our capital and we hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again.