“A boutique seaside location in the city”
Review of Hotel Skeppsholmen

Hotel Skeppsholmen
Ranked #3 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
York, United Kingdom
“A boutique seaside location in the city”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

This is a boutique style hotel situated on an island with parkland and historic buildings only 10 mins walk from the centre of Stockholm

The staff are excellent and breakfast was great. You can eat outside if the weather is fine.

Rooms are on the small side but very good quality.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, 2 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed everything from our location, our historical buildings from 1699 to the service from my team.

I agree! It's quite stunning to sit on our terrace and eat breakfast with views over our gardens and the sea.

I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again to our Eco labeled hotel.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
Tel Aviv, Israel
Reviewed 1 September 2014

When you return to a place you adored the first time, most often than not you get disappointed. This is not the case. We spent a wonderful week at the Skeppsholmen 2 years ago and upon returning this summer we were enchanted once again. It's a paradise immersed in green and blue, serene and central at the same time. Breakfast is lovely. Staff is friendly and helpful. Boat bus is at your door step. Loved it (again).

Room Tip: Ask for a room or suit with water view.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

What a lovely review to receive and we are very pleased that this was your second stay with us.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and very glad to read your kind words about the service from my team.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back for a third stay soon again.

Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 August 2014

This is quite a difficult review to write as we really expected to come back from Skeppsholmen shouting about our amazing luxury 4 star experience at the hotel but we really can’t reconcile the money we paid (around £900 for 3 nights) with the experience that we received. Certain parts were great; others not so. Service from the staff is mixed depending on how busy the hotel is or who you get to speak to.

Hotel Skeppsholmen is not a poor hotel. In fact for the most part it’s good but it really depends on what expectations you have, what you pay and what other “boutique hotel” experience you have to compare it with. We've stayed in many boutique 4 and 5 star hotels and Skeppsholmen just doesn't hit the mark for us; it’s just not 4 star standard based on our past experience.

A key factor when booking any hotel for us is that it has air conditioning – Skeppsholmen does but it’s useless – more on that later!

The biggest selling point of this hotel is its location on the island; a tranquil setting which offers a fair degree of peace and quiet yet the city is only a short walk away of around 10 minutes or you can take a bus or ferry ride. Both the bus and the ferry are a couple of minutes walk from the hotel. The Ferry takes you to Djurgarden or Slussen (Old Town) whilst the bus takes you into the busier city.

Our room was a superior sea view and it was located in the 2nd building on the 3rd floor. It had a view of the tennis courts and the sea albeit through the trees. It was modern and spotlessly clean. The wooden floors could do with attention both in the rooms and all over the hotel as they are badly marked - better yacht varnish needed?! It was spacious with a good sized bed, TV and DVD in the main room plus a separate area with a desk, free-standing mirror and a small wardrobe. One niggle is the lack of mirror over the desk and hence close to the plug sockets making it difficult to dry hair and do make up. The wardrobe and drawer space was limited but my daughter (who had a rollaway bed which we moved into this area) decided to live out of her suitcase which meant more room for my husband and my clothes! The bathroom was stylish with shower cubicle, rain shower plus hand held shower and the pebble sink you see on the website. Reasonably functional but too much style over substance; no shaver point, insufficient lighting to do your make up and the sink was a design triumph but pretty impractical if you wanted to run a bowl of water - you can't! As others had said, it was impossible to shower without soaking the floor towels and there was insufficient space to hang towels out to dry - no heated towel rail either. Our toiletries (Orla Kierley) were good quality but weren't replaced the next day which with 3 of us staying in the room was not great.

There's a hairdryer and a safe in the wardrobe and there's also a selection of tights, boxer shorts and lady's knickers to buy if you've forgotten yours - very novel! Minibar and refreshments expensive but not unusual for hotel mini bars. No tea and coffee making facilities as per most mainland Europe hotels.

The biggest problem for us was the useless air conditioning. When we entered the room, it felt really stuffy so we turned the air con to its lowest setting but it remained stuffy. The air con unit is situated under the window on the floor so the air blows upwards and into an alcove but doesn't penetrate the rest of the room effectively. When I mentioned this to reception the following morning and described our 1st night’s sleep as "dreadful", the response from the young female receptionist was that the hotel’s air con is not very powerful and many people complain! I expect the management response will be that due to the nature of the building, there are restrictions on what they can and cannot do. This is fine, but then please stop promoting your air-con and supply room fans - it's useless and for people who only book hotels with air-con, it's a big negative! It also didn't help that the duvets appeared to be of a very high tog level which added to the discomfort. This was partially countered by the duvet on our bed being too small as it only just reached the edge of the bed with no overhang so if one of us rolled over, the other was left with no duvet. We tried sleeping with the window open but there's a car park opposite and when restaurant guests left, they were noisy, plus of course the sun shone through and woke us up early. No point pulling the wooden window shutters across as the air then didn't get in!

Now for (in the management words in response to other reviews), “the very popular breakfast buffet” - bedlam is the only way I can describe it. It’s akin to a hostel breakfast not a four star experience. It’s popular because you have no choice – it’s the only restaurant / hotel on the island so it’s bound to be popular! It's a serve yourself buffet and you can spot the people who are on their first morning breakfast at the hotel. They’re the ones looking confused at how you get a cup of tea before you work out that you have to fill your own tea bags from the tins that have fresh tea leaves in them. I felt like an expert when people started to ask me on day 2 and 3! But there was only Earl Grey or aromatic teas – no English breakfast teas so I cheated and went to a 7-11 and bought some Liptons breakfast tea bags – I can’t function without a proper cup of breakfast tea. In terms of selection, there's a good choice from cereals, fruit salad, meat and cheese plus a great range of breads and pastries. The cooked selection is limited to the runniest scrambled eggs I've ever seen, hard boiled eggs, little sausages which I didn't like at all, bacon and gorgeous cinnamon toast. I'd have liked the choice of having poached eggs but this wasn't an option. Everything is laid out in one small area and it creates a bottleneck. There's also not much logic into where things are put which causes confusion.

Other than breakfast, we didn't eat in the dining room, but we did have drinks in there each evening (there's a small lounge seating area). We were served relatively quickly on the first evening but on the 2nd and 3rd evening we noticed a decline in service. There were no wine menus out and the restaurant seemed under-staffed. I asked if the hotel did cocktails and simply got handed a wine menu – presume that’s a no then. We watched people arriving for dinner, standing, looking embarrassed as they stepped forward thinking that the waiter was about to approach them only to be completely ignored as the waiter went to clear tables instead without even making eye contact or saying “I’ll be with you in a moment”. This happened 3 times on the last night we were there. An American gentleman also asked if it was OK to eat in the bar area and the waiter made a fuss saying he'd be better in the restaurant - as there were a couple of business dinners going on, it was obvious that he felt uncomfortable and the waiter did eventually concede - surely the customer can choose where they want to eat and it should never have been an issue?

Overall, the hotel was clean and tidy but on our last day, we quickly nipped into the restaurant toilets and they were in a shocking state, There were used hand towels overflowing out of the bins onto the toilet floor and the middle cubicle toilet pan was blocked. Again not 4 star standard.

Would I come back again despite my niggles? Probably but purely for the location and then only if the air-conditioning has been upgraded (or I’ll come in Winter)!

Room Tip: 2nd building is away from the main areas so tended to be quieter. I would avoid ground floor rooms i...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank HampshireCarol
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, 1 September 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
Feedback is always important and your review has been shared by my team.

Glad to read that you enjoyed our location and that you probably would come back to our Eco labeled hotel.

I am sorry about your disappointment with the air condition, this summer Stockholm had 4 weeks of a heat wave and apparently it was the warmest in 75 years and there were some days the air con couldn't give maximum cold. Be assure we have looked in to this.

We are located in historical buildings from 1699 and we know we are not the most practical hotel, some due to our listed buildings and some due to design flaws. But we hope that our amazing history makes up for this, on top of being listed we are on the Swedish Governments 100 list, we are very proud to be on that list together with the Royal Palace among other historical buildings.

We are very lucky that we have been running on a very high occupancy this summer and during summer our leisure guests often come down at the same time so it can be a little crowded. Our concept on our popular complimentary breakfast buffet is " going in to our kitchen and help yourself "

I hope you enjoyed our stunning capital!

New York City, New York
Reviewed 31 August 2014

We chose this hotel based in large part on Trip Advisor reviews, and were very excited. That rather quickly turned to disappointment. It didn't help that we got remarkably bad information about finding the bus to the hotel from the main train station (we arrived from Copenhagen). Two railway workers and a tourist office employee couldn't direct us correctly, so we took a costly cab. At the hotel, we found the staff surprisingly unhelpful. It's not that they were mean; it's just that everything was perfunctory. No "good morning" or "good evening" and we got bad information repeatedly, including about the time of the last boat back to the hotel (which is on an island), so our first day we missed it and had a rather long walk back. Also got wrong info about whether there would be a triathalon in the city the weekend of our stay; we had heard of one but the hotel staff said there wasn't one. Of course there was one, though it wound up not being disruptive. We also got wrong info about the cost of a taxi to the airport, even though we asked repeatedly to be sure of the cost for five people. The cost was 50% higher than we were quoted. On the whole, we found Stockholm to be visually lovely, but cold. Perhaps staff at the hotel just mirror everyone else. Perhaps they're just very reserved. But it's a hospitality industry after all, so if you can't fake warm and welcoming, perhaps try something else? I have no plans to return to Stockholm, but if I did, I would choose a hotel in the city center, not on an island like this. The limitations of having to rely on a boat or taxi are not insignificant, and coupled with the less-than-stellar service and the long, dark hallways of this refurbished, military barracks hotel, it all makes the cost and unique location not quite worth it.

Room Tip: Ask for waterside.
Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank 63ninab

Thank you for taking the time to write this review.
Feedback is always important for us.

I am sorry that we didn't live up to your expectations and sorry to read that the people at the central station couldn't give you right information.

I am very concerned that my team didn't deliver right information and that you found them being unhelpful, this is of course not acceptable and be assure I will talk to them about this.

Stockholm consist of 14 Islands and we are one of them and the charm with our capital is that it's walkable to all attractions wherever you stay in the city, the popular city bikes is also a popular way to get around and if you want to go by public transport we are very lucky to have bus 65 which stops just next to the hotel.

Very glad that you enjoyed our capital
visually.

Guildford
Reviewed 31 August 2014

This is a terrific hotel - clean modern fabulous rooms, great young happy staff, away from the hectic city, fabulous breakfast...best reception counter sweets. It has a magnificent view of downtown Stockholm - and as it is on its own island it is so quiet and peaceful

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write this review and what a lovely one to receive!

Very glad to read that you enjoyed everything from our location, our Swedish interior, our complimentary breakfast buffet to the service from my team.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope we we will have the pleasure to welcome you back soon again to our Eco labeled hotel.

Saratoga, California
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We felt welcomed and at home as soon as we arrived. A nice young man hustled down the stairs as we exited our taxi from the air port and took our bags up to reception and immediately checked us in. Our spacious, actually huge room faced the park in back, and was light and airy with tons of windows. The room is very nice with modern furnishings. About the only downside is the euro-style handheld shower with no tub, just drain in bathroom. It is centrally located for touring, with many attractions just a ten or fifteen minute walk, plus a bus stop just a block from the hotel entrance. A ferry from the island will take you across to the Vasa Museum. On the island itself there's a number of museums as well. You have the feel of being on your private island away from the bustle of the city center, but a short hop over the bridge and there you are. I don't get the person who likened it to Rikers Island in NYC. As a former NYer, I'd say it would be closer to Roosevelt Island, but with a bunch of cultural attractions. The staff was very helpful, gave us a recommendation for a Veggie restarant nearby that was great, including directions on what bus to take.

Room Tip: Any floor above first.
2 Thank pilot210
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review and what a great one to receive and as always it has been read by my team.

Very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I hope you enjoyed the amazing Vasa museum and if you are coming back I think you should visit the new fun ABBA museum, it's a great contrast to the iconic Vasa.
Yes, we are very lucky to have the Modern museum as our closest neighbour.

Thank you for staying with us and I hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you back to Stockholm and Skeppsholmen in the near future.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Skeppsholmen is one of the nicest hotels I've ever seen. It is situated on a small island (can be reached by a bridge) in the heart of Stockholm, so you have the city around you, over the water.
Great rooms, with -of course- great views, a nice terrace, a tennis court, a friendly and informal staff. Breakfast is fantastic.

1 Thank MarkSch
Joachim08, General Manager at Hotel Skeppsholmen, responded to this review, 26 August 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for this lovely review!

My team and I are very glad to read that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Extra glad that thy enjoyed our tennis court! It's actually the first out door tennis court and was built by King Oscar II the year 1882.