“Great value in a popular tourist location”
Review of De Svarta Faren

De Svarta Faren
Reserve with
Save up to 30% when you reserve online *
De Svarta Faren is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #556 of 3,347 Restaurants in Stockholm
Cuisines: Swedish
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Gamla Stan & Riddarholmen
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We would normally avoid any restaurants surrounding a popular tourist square but, in this case, the restaurant was recommended by our Stockholm Free Walking Tour guide as having good and inexpensive traditional Swedish food. She was right. As the tables outside were full, we sat inside what is a very nice room. While there were quite a few tourists, there were also quite a number of locals, including business people. The meal we both chose, a main fish course including bread, salad and tea/coffee was both good and very reasonably priced, and the service was friendly and efficient. Great value!

Reviewed 30 June 2014 via mobile

We had a very nice meal here on a Sunday night. It wasnt crowded and we sat in the outdoor area under the heaters. The prices are reasonable for Stockholm. Pizza was excellent. Service was friendly. Very enjoyable meal.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

While in Stockholm, my partner and I were keen not to necessarily stick to the obvious American style restaurants (which we are sometimes guilty of!)

So, we took a look online at places which offer a mixed menu (as I'll try any food but she's a bit more reserved in menu choices). Ultimately we found this little gem and were blown away.

We arrived over an hour earlier than our 7pm reservation and, given that there isn't really a seated bar area, we expected to have to kill the time and come back - not the case. The staff seated us immediately; they were very accommodating and pleasant and offered great service.

As for the important part (the food!) - I can't say a bad word. While the other half ordered a delicious Parma ham and Gorgonzola cheese pizza (which was huge!), I opted for deer steak with mash potato, panchetta, mushrooms, lingonberry sauce and a port wine gravy. Cooked exactly as requested (medium - so a consistent pink through the meat but not bloody) I have to say that my first taste of deer was exquisite.

The accompanying sauces (especially the lingonberry sauce which seems to be a Swedish favourite) made me sceptical. However, the infusion of flavours was simply masterful.

While this is my one and only trip to De Svarta Fåren, I have to say that if I'm ever in Stockholm again, I will be going back. What's more, I know I'll find it incredibly hard to avoid ordering the deer again - it really was that good!

Chuck in two beers and a coke, the total cost was around 560 SEK (£56); an absolute bargain considering the location: in the heart of Gamla Stan (the old town) just outside the Nobel museum and around the corner from Stockholm Palace.

Seriously cannot rate this charming little eatery enough; from the decor to the dinner, everything was first rate.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We tried this restaurant after an exhausting day of walking on the cobblestones of Stockholm. We saw the menu board with the daily specials and decided to give the place a try. We both had the same dinner: grilled trout with asparagus and spring potatoes. The trout was perfectly grilled and the seasoning on it delicious; the vegetables were perfectly cooked.

We returned the next evening. I had Spaghetti Bolognese with parmesan cheese. The pasta was served in a large bowl and the serving was generous. The sauce was thick and had a nice bite to it. My friend had Rigatoni con Manzo, a filet of beef served on penne pasta with mushrooms and a red wine truffle sauce. He agreed that these were two of the best dinners we have had.

The service can be a bit slow, but it is worth the wait. The restaurant has a nice location on the main square in Gamla Stan. The restaurant has been in business since 1950 and is located in a 12th century building.

2  Thank GrrbearLund
Reviewed 26 May 2014 via mobile

It was not full of tourists and that makes a real bargain For us! Just 100 krn the famous meatballs of the swedish cousine!!
Wonderful and nice waitresses and free salad and water tea!
Really a good place to go in stockholm !!