“Modern and cosy hotel situated in the hart of Stockholm”
Review of Nobis Hotel

Ranked #20 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Brussels, Belgium
“Modern and cosy hotel situated in the hart of Stockholm”
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Loved the hotel, especially the design! Room was not very, big but bed was comfortable. The only minus would be the elevator that was muuuuuuuch too slow. A!! The for the cleaning a bit more attention for the bathrooms would be great as the first time I entered the shower there was a lot of hair around that was definitely not mine!

1 Thank mihand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Without doubt, the worst "standard room" I've had in 20 years of business travel in Europe.

Yes, it's possible that I just had a bad room # 310, but it was bad, it was awful.

Let's just review what Nobis themselves say on their website about their room categories:

1) "Our standard rooms are sized 18-22 m2, all with 180 cm Dux-beds and Egyptian bed sheets."

Well yes, my room did have a bed with bed sheets, but 18-22m2 of space? Err No!

This particular room (# 310) was presumably at one point the cleaning cupboard or storeroom for the 3rd floor. Or else it was some kind of cruel joke by the architect trying to squeeze in the last possible additional room in an already ridiculously crowded hotel.

See the photos I've posted below, but you enter the room to a dark and dingy 1m wide and 8m long corridor to get to a space barely large enough to squeeze the bed into. In fact, the en suite bathroom is larger than the "bedroom".

I suppose it's conceivable that it is 18-22 m2, but it certainly isn't usable space. Actual usable space in the "room" amounted to the bed itself, a 50 cm border around the bed, a 1m2 area where the "desk" was and perhaps 2m2 to the right of the bed by the cupboard. Perhaps (excluding the bed), less than 4m2 of actual usable floor space in the "bedroom".

2) "The standard rooms feature working desks"

Again, see the picture posted below. It's certainly not what I would call a "working desk". My children had larger desks when they were at primary school. Also, to get to the power plugs to charge my laptop and phone, I had to get down on my hands and knees, and crawl around in the dark on the floor under the desk. The way the space is designed, it's like you're working in a monastic cell.

3) "and views over our atriums or the city"

Having windows is fine, but I think that calling a hermetically sealed window looking across the internal atrium to other imprisoned guests in equally hermetically sealed cubicles on the other side, a "view over our atriums or the city", whilst true, is exaggerating the reality.

In any case, no matter what the "view", in this particular room, with the entire "living space" of the room, the desk, the bed etc. no more than 1m away from the window, and everything in the room visible to the rooms on the other side of the atrium, means that for even a modicum of privacy you need to close the curtains, enclosing you in the most horrible, claustrophobic and unpleasant room I have ever stayed in.

4) "Details such as cozy bathrobes, slippers and Byredo toiletries make your stay extra comfortable."

Unfortunately these details are far from enough to compensate for the awful room.

On the plus side, I should say that all the the staff were extremely pleasant, in fact faultless. So good that I didn't want to complain to them about anything (did they decide to have such good people as a deliberate strategy to offset the awful rooms?). The reception staff were excellent, the restaurant staff in the morning for breakfast were really cheerful and ready to please! Very impressive. Really good people. It's a shame they're stuck in such a terrible hotel.

The guys on reception made up for the truly appalling room by recommending a nearby fish restaurant, Wedholms Fisk, where I had the best meal I've ever eaten in Stockholm.

I would also say that there is a certain "buzz" around the restaurant and bars, and the hotel is full of beautiful, trendy people, so if that's what you're looking for, then this is the place for you.

But for me, I'm afraid that it's never again!

Room Tip: I only saw one room, #310, avoid at all costs!
3 Thank TravellerBEurope
HotelNobis, Manager at Nobis Hotel, responded to this review, 4 October 2011
Dear TravellerBEurope,

thank you for your very detailed review and very valid points in assessing the practicalities and impracticalities of room 310. There is not a lot I can add to explain, as your description is quite accurate. Allow me to point out however, that room 310 is not a Standard Room in our definition, but what we call a Small Double. I am at loss to explain how you have been allocated a Small Room if your reservation has been made for a Standard, and please do accept my sincere apologies for this mishap. This was completely our mistake and if you'd be so kind to send me your contact details to oliver@nobishotel.com , I would be more than happy to see what we can do to make up for our error.
In reference to your your hard, but very true comment that the layout of the room is a cruel joke by the architect, I do completely understand that one might think the layout of room 310 as being odd. It is an unfortunate fact of the matter that when converting historic buildings into a hotel, building code restrictions and in this case even listing regulations do not allow for total conformity of all rooms having the same layout. In our case, Nobis Hotel has 201 rooms in a total of 145 different layouts. That just your room was not only the wrong category but one with an extreme odd layout is just more than unfortunate:
Again, please accept our apologies, and send me your details so I can make sure you are placed in a room with an odd layout that's at the same time really fabulous on your next visit, as well as resolving the current issue at hand.

Thank your for taking the time to write down your thoughts,
Very best regards

Oliver Geldner
Rotterdam
Reviewed 27 September 2011

Great location in the city centre, close to shops and restaurants. Very stylish and trendy.
The room was comfortable and clean, but a little bit small. I guess for Swedish standards it's not that small at all. I have heard about 10 m2 rooms without windows. Well, my room was definitely a lot bigger and had a window. There was some noise on friday and saturday evening from the bars nearby, but it wasn't that disturbing en probably the downside of staying in the city's centre. Staff is very helpfull, the gym was good en breakfast was nice as well. Wireless internet is free. I had a great stay and would return to this hotel if I were visiting Stockholm again.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing the Berns hotel. The bar in the Berns hotel is booming business on weekends a...
Oak Park, Illinois
Reviewed 21 September 2011

The only reason I wouldn't give 5 stars was just the room size, which is as most people have said is a bit on the small side. Otherwise, I was incredibly impressed with the staff, I thought the breakfast was quite good, and the beds were very nice. Oh, and location couldn't have been better. Funny reading the reviews because I thought I was the only one who noticed how attractive the staff were. Also, the business travelers/guests, as well as most people we saw in Stockholm, were very good looking and stylish.

But more importantly, coming from the US, this was our first hotel on the trip and it was so great to have such helpful, friendly people guiding us in their country. I would highly recommend the Nobis Hotel!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed 13 September 2011

This hotel is in a great location for shops and restaurants. Very stylish. The rooms are on the small side but well finished, nice bathrooms and a really comfortable bed.

I wasn’t overly impressed with the breakfast, good selection of fruit and cold meats but the hot dishes were not as good as they could be.

We needed the use of a conference phone as soon as we arrived and the staff arranged that very quickly. Generally the staff were professional and friendly.

1 Thank Murray007
Sweden
Reviewed 12 September 2011

Great location in the very center of Stockholm, close walking distance to shopping and cultural attractions.

The most amazing thing about this hotel was the beds and the bedding. Going to bed was like sinking into a big hug... The Dux bed was quite firm, but it had real down duvets and down pillows, all soft and fluffy like cotton candy. And the linen was cool and crisp, out of the ordinary. Definitely best hotel bedding I have ever slept in.

The whole hotel and the guest rooms are very stylish. Our bathroom was gigantic and all covered with new, clean, white marble. A masterpiece. The room also had a tailor made cupboard which was exquisite. The atmosphere of the room was minimalistic and elegant, however a bit boring.

Also the breakfast was out of the ordinary. Not a giant selection, but delicious. There was goat yoghurt, freshly baked scones and croissants, pancakes, sourdough bread, nice cheese, organic butter, fresh fruit juices and more. Everything organic.

Finally the toiletries from Byredo Parfums are fantastic. Mayby I must soon book another stay, cause my bottles are starting to run out.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
HotelNobis, Manager at Nobis Hotel, responded to this review, 28 September 2011
Hi Swedesara !
And thank you so much for your review ! We're always happy to hear from our customers and of course especially if their posts are full of compliments, like yours.
I gathered from your review that you were running short on the Byredo products you nicked from the bathroom, so why don't you send us your address so I can send you some refills ? Mail me under oliver@nobishotel.com
It was a pleasure having you here and do come back soon !
Yours always,

seoul
Reviewed 12 September 2011

located in central stokholm
provides good breakfast in hotel restaurant
kind staff and good gym facilities
free wifi internet