There is no denying that this hotel is designed beautifully, but unfortunately it is at the expense of any practicality.
I travel frequently on business and was on a week-long trip across Scandinavia. I had hoped this hotel would be the best on our trip given it's hefty room prices, but unfortunately it just wasnt.
I can live with small rooms, as you come to expect them in cities such as Stockholm and London. But it is for this reason that it is all the more important that the fittings, furniture and interior needs to be as practical and ergonomic as possible. I found myself getting so annoyed with the details in the room that it began to spoil the experience. And for this reason I cannot give it a high rating.
List of annoyances:
1) The wardrobe had almost no space for hanging clothing and only 2 coat-hangers. My boss had a similar room and had to hang his suit jackets and shirts over the shower and bathroom doors.
2) Desk was small and the chair couldn't even sit flat on the ground as a very tall rug was placed in the way with the chair half-on it and half off. That meant I had to sit on a slant which is not comfortable. Desk space is also wasted by a book all about the hotel's design which is offered on sale for GBP 25. That actually made me angry as that is just pure arrogance when the design clearly doesn't work and was spoiling my stay.
3) There is a beautiful porcelain wash basin with motif. BUT the moment you run the tap, the water splashes all over the place!!
4) The bathroom has plenty of wall space, but a tiny shelf which is not big enough to place your toiletries. I had to put my toiletry bag on the floor. Grrrr.
5) Shower head is so tall (and I am not). Every morning, the housekeeping staff took down the shower head and placed in a low holder, but in order to have a shower you have to place the shower head back in it's normal position above your head - which I couldn't reach easily. Having to jump in a potentially wet shower in order to be able to have one is just dangerous.
6) Shower doors don't actually stop the water from leaking onto the bathroom floor. You also cannot place the bathmat on the floor as the door would just push it out of the way.
7) Light switches all over the place. There are so many different lamps, so if you want to turn the lights out at night, you have to walk all around the room to switch each one off. Not fun when you are tired.
8) My room door didn't close properly, but I always check it when I leave, regardless of hotel. But in the evening, whilst I was out, a member of staff came to turn my bed down and leave a bottle of water, but left the door ajar when they left. Luckily no-one else came in whilst I was gone as I potentially could have had my laptop and other expensive items stolen.
9) At the front entrance, you have to climb a small set of stairs to enter the hotel which would be hard work if you have large or heavy baggage. There is no one to provide assistance, but once you enter the doors, a member of staff was always there and would purposely move into the middle of the doorway, said nothing and just looked at me, as if blocking me from entering the hotel. I found this very unwelcoming.
For a 5 star hotel, these issues are just unacceptable. Out of all the 5-star hotels I've stayed at, this has been the most impractical. I would prefer to stay somewhere more modest, but which provided ergnomic facilities and fittings and will therefore NOT be staying here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A contemporary hotel occupying a prime spot at Norrmalmstorg square, the single most central and attractive location in downtown Stockholm. Nobis Hotel is an independent, 201-room first class hotel. Nobis Hotel is a new center stage of Sweden’s Royal Capital, defining our own personal sense of luxury — one that is modern, elegant and extremely comfortable, but also ethically sound, warm and moderate, providing our guests with true value for their money in a stylish and pleasant setting designed by award-winning architects Claesson Koivisto Rune. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ctrip TA, TravelUp, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Ebookers, Evoline ltd, HotelsClick, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelQuickly so you can book your Nobis Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.