“Beautiful But NOT Practical”
Review of Nobis Hotel

Ranked #15 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 29 October 2011

There is no denying that this hotel is designed beautifully, but unfortunately it is at the expense of any practicality.

I travel frequently on business and was on a week-long trip across Scandinavia. I had hoped this hotel would be the best on our trip given it's hefty room prices, but unfortunately it just wasnt.

I can live with small rooms, as you come to expect them in cities such as Stockholm and London. But it is for this reason that it is all the more important that the fittings, furniture and interior needs to be as practical and ergonomic as possible. I found myself getting so annoyed with the details in the room that it began to spoil the experience. And for this reason I cannot give it a high rating.

List of annoyances:

1) The wardrobe had almost no space for hanging clothing and only 2 coat-hangers. My boss had a similar room and had to hang his suit jackets and shirts over the shower and bathroom doors.
2) Desk was small and the chair couldn't even sit flat on the ground as a very tall rug was placed in the way with the chair half-on it and half off. That meant I had to sit on a slant which is not comfortable. Desk space is also wasted by a book all about the hotel's design which is offered on sale for GBP 25. That actually made me angry as that is just pure arrogance when the design clearly doesn't work and was spoiling my stay.
3) There is a beautiful porcelain wash basin with motif. BUT the moment you run the tap, the water splashes all over the place!!
4) The bathroom has plenty of wall space, but a tiny shelf which is not big enough to place your toiletries. I had to put my toiletry bag on the floor. Grrrr.
5) Shower head is so tall (and I am not). Every morning, the housekeeping staff took down the shower head and placed in a low holder, but in order to have a shower you have to place the shower head back in it's normal position above your head - which I couldn't reach easily. Having to jump in a potentially wet shower in order to be able to have one is just dangerous.
6) Shower doors don't actually stop the water from leaking onto the bathroom floor. You also cannot place the bathmat on the floor as the door would just push it out of the way.
7) Light switches all over the place. There are so many different lamps, so if you want to turn the lights out at night, you have to walk all around the room to switch each one off. Not fun when you are tired.
8) My room door didn't close properly, but I always check it when I leave, regardless of hotel. But in the evening, whilst I was out, a member of staff came to turn my bed down and leave a bottle of water, but left the door ajar when they left. Luckily no-one else came in whilst I was gone as I potentially could have had my laptop and other expensive items stolen.
9) At the front entrance, you have to climb a small set of stairs to enter the hotel which would be hard work if you have large or heavy baggage. There is no one to provide assistance, but once you enter the doors, a member of staff was always there and would purposely move into the middle of the doorway, said nothing and just looked at me, as if blocking me from entering the hotel. I found this very unwelcoming.

For a 5 star hotel, these issues are just unacceptable. Out of all the 5-star hotels I've stayed at, this has been the most impractical. I would prefer to stay somewhere more modest, but which provided ergnomic facilities and fittings and will therefore NOT be staying here again.

Room Tip: Do Not stay in the single rooms.
4  Thank MissNinja
HotelNobis, Manager at Nobis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

Dear MissNinja,

thank you very much for your very detailed review, we always appreciate first hand feedback from our guests ! We sincerely regret that you appear to have had an unpleasant stay during your visit to Stockholm and Nobis Hotel, and we have taken well note of your individual points.

Nobis Hotel is located in an old listed building which we refurbished completely. When we planned the rooms at the hotel, building code restrictions gave us little flexibility in terms of moving walls to make small rooms larger.
That's why we decided to call the single rooms with appx 15 sqm what they are: Small Single. From the images (nice ones, by the way!), it appears that you have booked at stayed in one of our Small Single rooms during your visit. We fully agree that storage, closet and work space is limited, and we recommend these rooms for one or two nights stays maximum. If you are staying longer or are bringing plenty luggage, a larger room would of course be more advisable.

Allow me to apologise for the oversight with the room door or lock, this should of course have been noted by the staff and instantly reported.
The leaking bathroom door has also been reported and mended, apparently there was a faulty fitting at the door, as the water should definitely not spill from the cabinet onto the floor.

We do pride ourselves to accomodate any possible need our guests may have, and I was wondering whether you spoken to my colleagues at the reception about the mishaps that occurred and the room size? We would have done whatever is necessary to upgrade you to a larger room, had we known of the problems.

Finally, we do have a staff of several bellboys available at the hotel, and I am very certain that the young man who appeared to block your way was actually trying to help you with your suitcase up the stairs. Even if in this case it appears to have been a clumsy attempt on his behalf, seeing he managed to upset you instead. Again, my apologies for that.

Please do let me know when you are planning on coming to Stockholm again, it would be our pleasure to look after you. Please contact me directly under oliver@nobishotel.com so we can make arrangements and try to make it up to you. I am certain you won't be disappointed this time.

All our very best,

Oliver

994 - 1,000 of 1,459 reviews

Reviewed 21 October 2011

I spend approx 2 weeks a month in hotels in different time zones. Rarely do I find myself impressed enough to recommend. Usually pretty people behind the desk of boutique hotels bear an air of arrogance, but not here. From my happy hummingbird Anton at breakfast to the very hansdome William at front desk and everyone in between, they are all exceptional. They all emanate a feeling of being part of a family. I could go on about the comfortable beds, the lovely gym, perfect location.. but when it comes down to the wire, the people make the place.

1  Thank amb78
HotelNobis, Manager at Nobis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 October 2011

Dear Amb78,

thank you so much for your very kind review ! We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and both Anton and William had the biggest of grins on their faces for days after they had read your words.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon !

Very best Regards

Oliver

Reviewed 20 October 2011

I really enjoyed staying in Nobis hotel. For us, it was one day of business and 2 days of fun. As someone else had booked us the room (and probably booked us a delux double) I didn't have any complains about the size of the room as a few of the other guests had, reading some of the reviews. Ours was perfect. Super well done. It was bright and minimalistic, which I like but cosy at the same time. I absolutely LOVED the staff. Their English was fluent and they were so nice and helpfull. The bar downstairs is great. I really enjoyed the "strawberry basel smash" cocktail. The location couldn't be better. As it turned out, the bar of the Nobis hotel is very popular on a friday afternoon. Breakfast was ok.
I have absolutely no complains. I loved staying there.

1  Thank Jasmijn A
Reviewed 2 October 2011

Loved the hotel, especially the design! Room was not very, big but bed was comfortable. The only minus would be the elevator that was muuuuuuuch too slow. A!! The for the cleaning a bit more attention for the bathrooms would be great as the first time I entered the shower there was a lot of hair around that was definitely not mine!

1  Thank mihand
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Without doubt, the worst "standard room" I've had in 20 years of business travel in Europe.

Yes, it's possible that I just had a bad room # 310, but it was bad, it was awful.

Let's just review what Nobis themselves say on their website about their room categories:

1) "Our standard rooms are sized 18-22 m2, all with 180 cm Dux-beds and Egyptian bed sheets."

Well yes, my room did have a bed with bed sheets, but 18-22m2 of space? Err No!

This particular room (# 310) was presumably at one point the cleaning cupboard or storeroom for the 3rd floor. Or else it was some kind of cruel joke by the architect trying to squeeze in the last possible additional room in an already ridiculously crowded hotel.

See the photos I've posted below, but you enter the room to a dark and dingy 1m wide and 8m long corridor to get to a space barely large enough to squeeze the bed into. In fact, the en suite bathroom is larger than the "bedroom".

I suppose it's conceivable that it is 18-22 m2, but it certainly isn't usable space. Actual usable space in the "room" amounted to the bed itself, a 50 cm border around the bed, a 1m2 area where the "desk" was and perhaps 2m2 to the right of the bed by the cupboard. Perhaps (excluding the bed), less than 4m2 of actual usable floor space in the "bedroom".

2) "The standard rooms feature working desks"

Again, see the picture posted below. It's certainly not what I would call a "working desk". My children had larger desks when they were at primary school. Also, to get to the power plugs to charge my laptop and phone, I had to get down on my hands and knees, and crawl around in the dark on the floor under the desk. The way the space is designed, it's like you're working in a monastic cell.

3) "and views over our atriums or the city"

Having windows is fine, but I think that calling a hermetically sealed window looking across the internal atrium to other imprisoned guests in equally hermetically sealed cubicles on the other side, a "view over our atriums or the city", whilst true, is exaggerating the reality.

In any case, no matter what the "view", in this particular room, with the entire "living space" of the room, the desk, the bed etc. no more than 1m away from the window, and everything in the room visible to the rooms on the other side of the atrium, means that for even a modicum of privacy you need to close the curtains, enclosing you in the most horrible, claustrophobic and unpleasant room I have ever stayed in.

4) "Details such as cozy bathrobes, slippers and Byredo toiletries make your stay extra comfortable."

Unfortunately these details are far from enough to compensate for the awful room.

On the plus side, I should say that all the the staff were extremely pleasant, in fact faultless. So good that I didn't want to complain to them about anything (did they decide to have such good people as a deliberate strategy to offset the awful rooms?). The reception staff were excellent, the restaurant staff in the morning for breakfast were really cheerful and ready to please! Very impressive. Really good people. It's a shame they're stuck in such a terrible hotel.

The guys on reception made up for the truly appalling room by recommending a nearby fish restaurant, Wedholms Fisk, where I had the best meal I've ever eaten in Stockholm.

I would also say that there is a certain "buzz" around the restaurant and bars, and the hotel is full of beautiful, trendy people, so if that's what you're looking for, then this is the place for you.

But for me, I'm afraid that it's never again!

Room Tip: I only saw one room, #310, avoid at all costs!
3  Thank TravellerBEurope
HotelNobis, Manager at Nobis Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2011

Dear TravellerBEurope,

thank you for your very detailed review and very valid points in assessing the practicalities and impracticalities of room 310. There is not a lot I can add to explain, as your description is quite accurate. Allow me to point out however, that room 310 is not a Standard Room in our definition, but what we call a Small Double. I am at loss to explain how you have been allocated a Small Room if your reservation has been made for a Standard, and please do accept my sincere apologies for this mishap. This was completely our mistake and if you'd be so kind to send me your contact details to oliver@nobishotel.com , I would be more than happy to see what we can do to make up for our error.
In reference to your your hard, but very true comment that the layout of the room is a cruel joke by the architect, I do completely understand that one might think the layout of room 310 as being odd. It is an unfortunate fact of the matter that when converting historic buildings into a hotel, building code restrictions and in this case even listing regulations do not allow for total conformity of all rooms having the same layout. In our case, Nobis Hotel has 201 rooms in a total of 145 different layouts. That just your room was not only the wrong category but one with an extreme odd layout is just more than unfortunate:
Again, please accept our apologies, and send me your details so I can make sure you are placed in a room with an odd layout that's at the same time really fabulous on your next visit, as well as resolving the current issue at hand.

Thank your for taking the time to write down your thoughts,
Very best regards

Oliver Geldner

Reviewed 27 September 2011

Great location in the city centre, close to shops and restaurants. Very stylish and trendy.
The room was comfortable and clean, but a little bit small. I guess for Swedish standards it's not that small at all. I have heard about 10 m2 rooms without windows. Well, my room was definitely a lot bigger and had a window. There was some noise on friday and saturday evening from the bars nearby, but it wasn't that disturbing en probably the downside of staying in the city's centre. Staff is very helpfull, the gym was good en breakfast was nice as well. Wireless internet is free. I had a great stay and would return to this hotel if I were visiting Stockholm again.

Room Tip: Avoid the rooms facing the Berns hotel. The bar in the Berns hotel is booming business on weekends a...
Reviewed 21 September 2011

The only reason I wouldn't give 5 stars was just the room size, which is as most people have said is a bit on the small side. Otherwise, I was incredibly impressed with the staff, I thought the breakfast was quite good, and the beds were very nice. Oh, and location couldn't have been better. Funny reading the reviews because I thought I was the only one who noticed how attractive the staff were. Also, the business travelers/guests, as well as most people we saw in Stockholm, were very good looking and stylish.

But more importantly, coming from the US, this was our first hotel on the trip and it was so great to have such helpful, friendly people guiding us in their country. I would highly recommend the Nobis Hotel!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family