“A positive Surprise in Stockholm” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Nobis Hotel

Ranked #18 of 158 Hotels in Stockholm
Russia
“A positive Surprise in Stockholm”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

This hotel impressed me and my guest from the first moment we entered. Very interesting design, nice welcome at the reception, great and exciting food and beverage outlets that were busy and spacious guest rooms with very comfortable beds. What more you want from a good hotel. This is my choice on the next trip to Stockholm.

Thomas

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank QualitymanRussia

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Chatham, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

Had the pleasure of staying at the Nobis in early October on business. The hotel is very nice and I really liked the room. I did send an email to Oliver ahead of time and, as promised, had a room overlooking the quiet courtyard although I don't think the noise others complained about would have been a factor during the time I was there. Stayed on the third floor which was cool because I walked by the mechanism for the large clock you see on the front of the hotel.

I liked the breakfast and enjoyed the local offerings (we don't get a lot of reindeer in the USA). For those who complained about waiting for things, I hear you, but it is complimentary. It is one of the practicality issues - the eggs don't need to be presented in a "cool" manner on the tray. Just keep making 'em and sending 'em out.

Same with the bathroom. It's a rather large room considering the lack of space for personal items on the vanity. One easy fix would be to put a shelf in the shower for the toiletries and that would free up space by the sink. I still don't understand the cover on the sink. I removed it everyday and put it on the floor. The maid replaced it each afternoon. All it did was make water splatter all over and got to be pretty gross after brushing your teeth. I have enough things going on during a business trip than to worry about cleaning some frivolous decoration. Still, just removing it was a simple fix.

The location is fantastic. Great restaurants nearby, a short walk to the subway and train station and the tram to the Vasa and other museums was right out front. Also a quick walk to Gamla Stan.

While the restaurants were very good they did seem a bit pricey, but that may just be Sweden and the abysmal state of the US dollar.

The staff bent over backwards to satisfy the simplest of requests. I also liked that plug adapters were available at the front desk. I have a little bag of adapters that allows me to plug in almost anywhere in the world, but it doesn't do you any good if you leave it at home.

I would definitely stay again if I return to Stockholm.

Room Tip: Email Oliver and ask for a room in the back of the hotel, especially in the summer.
2 Thank Metropxp
O4000G, Manager at Nobis Hotel, responded to this review, 23 December 2011
Hello Metropxp !

Thank for your kind words. I understand you didn't find the sink cover very practical, but I hope you'll agree it certainly is very pretty ! We have also mounted additional shelves in the bathrooms to make rooms for travel necessities.
We look forward to welcoming back on your next trip, let me know when you are coming !
And thanks for making me a Tripadvisor celebrity :)

Happy holidays !

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2011

A couple of small details - but enough to dull the shine of an otherwise slick design.

- The lifts are soooooo slow. Each time you ride, you sit idle for a short moment before the cables kick-in ... now this is only for a few seconds, but trust me, it's enough to make you sigh!
- The basin in the bathroom has a shallow plate atop it for decoration (looks like resin with a laser cut pattern). It is effective in splashing water everywhere. Everywhere. And catching toothpaste and listerine.
- And finally, the strangest thing: the maids are trained to hide the "do not disturb" card under the laundry bag, inside a top drawer, inside the wardrobe ...

Caina, the Italian restaurant in the basement, does make the most delicious meat balls with buttered pappardelle.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank Ben J
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2011

Stayed here on business in September. Everything was top notch: the staff and their efficiency and helpfulness, the bistro which had some of the most delicious food I've eaten and the bars which were buzzing (but not rowdy) and ever so cool. The design style is a feature in itself and the public spaces are as beautiful as the rooms themselves.

A special word for the beds which were so so so comfortable it was hard to get up for my meeting and the rooms were stocked with the best gadgets + toiletries imaginable.

A simply wonderful experience in a great city.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank HitherGreen
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 October 2011

There is no denying that this hotel is designed beautifully, but unfortunately it is at the expense of any practicality.

I travel frequently on business and was on a week-long trip across Scandinavia. I had hoped this hotel would be the best on our trip given it's hefty room prices, but unfortunately it just wasnt.

I can live with small rooms, as you come to expect them in cities such as Stockholm and London. But it is for this reason that it is all the more important that the fittings, furniture and interior needs to be as practical and ergonomic as possible. I found myself getting so annoyed with the details in the room that it began to spoil the experience. And for this reason I cannot give it a high rating.

List of annoyances:

1) The wardrobe had almost no space for hanging clothing and only 2 coat-hangers. My boss had a similar room and had to hang his suit jackets and shirts over the shower and bathroom doors.
2) Desk was small and the chair couldn't even sit flat on the ground as a very tall rug was placed in the way with the chair half-on it and half off. That meant I had to sit on a slant which is not comfortable. Desk space is also wasted by a book all about the hotel's design which is offered on sale for GBP 25. That actually made me angry as that is just pure arrogance when the design clearly doesn't work and was spoiling my stay.
3) There is a beautiful porcelain wash basin with motif. BUT the moment you run the tap, the water splashes all over the place!!
4) The bathroom has plenty of wall space, but a tiny shelf which is not big enough to place your toiletries. I had to put my toiletry bag on the floor. Grrrr.
5) Shower head is so tall (and I am not). Every morning, the housekeeping staff took down the shower head and placed in a low holder, but in order to have a shower you have to place the shower head back in it's normal position above your head - which I couldn't reach easily. Having to jump in a potentially wet shower in order to be able to have one is just dangerous.
6) Shower doors don't actually stop the water from leaking onto the bathroom floor. You also cannot place the bathmat on the floor as the door would just push it out of the way.
7) Light switches all over the place. There are so many different lamps, so if you want to turn the lights out at night, you have to walk all around the room to switch each one off. Not fun when you are tired.
8) My room door didn't close properly, but I always check it when I leave, regardless of hotel. But in the evening, whilst I was out, a member of staff came to turn my bed down and leave a bottle of water, but left the door ajar when they left. Luckily no-one else came in whilst I was gone as I potentially could have had my laptop and other expensive items stolen.
9) At the front entrance, you have to climb a small set of stairs to enter the hotel which would be hard work if you have large or heavy baggage. There is no one to provide assistance, but once you enter the doors, a member of staff was always there and would purposely move into the middle of the doorway, said nothing and just looked at me, as if blocking me from entering the hotel. I found this very unwelcoming.

For a 5 star hotel, these issues are just unacceptable. Out of all the 5-star hotels I've stayed at, this has been the most impractical. I would prefer to stay somewhere more modest, but which provided ergnomic facilities and fittings and will therefore NOT be staying here again.

Room Tip: Do Not stay in the single rooms.
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank MissNinja
HotelNobis, Manager at Nobis Hotel, responded to this review, 3 November 2011
Dear MissNinja,

thank you very much for your very detailed review, we always appreciate first hand feedback from our guests ! We sincerely regret that you appear to have had an unpleasant stay during your visit to Stockholm and Nobis Hotel, and we have taken well note of your individual points.

Nobis Hotel is located in an old listed building which we refurbished completely. When we planned the rooms at the hotel, building code restrictions gave us little flexibility in terms of moving walls to make small rooms larger.
That's why we decided to call the single rooms with appx 15 sqm what they are: Small Single. From the images (nice ones, by the way!), it appears that you have booked at stayed in one of our Small Single rooms during your visit. We fully agree that storage, closet and work space is limited, and we recommend these rooms for one or two nights stays maximum. If you are staying longer or are bringing plenty luggage, a larger room would of course be more advisable.

Allow me to apologise for the oversight with the room door or lock, this should of course have been noted by the staff and instantly reported.
The leaking bathroom door has also been reported and mended, apparently there was a faulty fitting at the door, as the water should definitely not spill from the cabinet onto the floor.

We do pride ourselves to accomodate any possible need our guests may have, and I was wondering whether you spoken to my colleagues at the reception about the mishaps that occurred and the room size? We would have done whatever is necessary to upgrade you to a larger room, had we known of the problems.

Finally, we do have a staff of several bellboys available at the hotel, and I am very certain that the young man who appeared to block your way was actually trying to help you with your suitcase up the stairs. Even if in this case it appears to have been a clumsy attempt on his behalf, seeing he managed to upset you instead. Again, my apologies for that.

Please do let me know when you are planning on coming to Stockholm again, it would be our pleasure to look after you. Please contact me directly under oliver@nobishotel.com so we can make arrangements and try to make it up to you. I am certain you won't be disappointed this time.

All our very best,

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2011

I spend approx 2 weeks a month in hotels in different time zones. Rarely do I find myself impressed enough to recommend. Usually pretty people behind the desk of boutique hotels bear an air of arrogance, but not here. From my happy hummingbird Anton at breakfast to the very hansdome William at front desk and everyone in between, they are all exceptional. They all emanate a feeling of being part of a family. I could go on about the comfortable beds, the lovely gym, perfect location.. but when it comes down to the wire, the people make the place.

1 Thank amb78
HotelNobis, Manager at Nobis Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2011
Dear Amb78,

thank you so much for your very kind review ! We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and both Anton and William had the biggest of grins on their faces for days after they had read your words.
Looking forward to welcoming you back soon !

Very best Regards

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2011

I really enjoyed staying in Nobis hotel. For us, it was one day of business and 2 days of fun. As someone else had booked us the room (and probably booked us a delux double) I didn't have any complains about the size of the room as a few of the other guests had, reading some of the reviews. Ours was perfect. Super well done. It was bright and minimalistic, which I like but cosy at the same time. I absolutely LOVED the staff. Their English was fluent and they were so nice and helpfull. The bar downstairs is great. I really enjoyed the "strawberry basel smash" cocktail. The location couldn't be better. As it turned out, the bar of the Nobis hotel is very popular on a friday afternoon. Breakfast was ok.
I have absolutely no complains. I loved staying there.

1 Thank Jasmijn A