“Scandinavian Minimalism Hurts Nobis”
Review of Nobis Hotel

Nobis Hotel
Ranked #21 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
Libertyville, Illinois
“Scandinavian Minimalism Hurts Nobis”
Reviewed 29 July 2013

I stayed at the Nobis with my family (wife, daughters ages 17 and 14) after searching for something high-end and "Swedish" but more practical than the Grand. We booked several months in advance of our stay and took advantage of a special rate - three nights for the price of two - and upgraded the rooms.

Anyhow, after booking the Nobis online I was very excited. This excitement may have led to a letdown - the hotel is very nice, to be sure but truthfully not any more impressive in terms of amenities, facilities and staff than a remodeled American chain hotel like Hyatt or Westin.

Leading up to our stay I contacted the concierge via e-mail to help with a couple of activities and our hotel transfer. He initially very quickly replied that he had received the e-mail but it was several days later before I heard anything else...so I sent another e-mail...and another. In the end, the reservations were handled but my experience and expectation with "high end" hotels is their concierges return my messages within a day.

Upon arrival, there wasn't a bellman to help carry our bags up the stairs and into the reception. And once at reception I realized why the concierge was so slow in responding - there is no dedicated concierge. It seems the desk staff pulls double-duty as both registration and concierge staff.

Such as it is at Hotel Nobis, the three gentlemen were all very friendly and helpful with questions about Stockholm. In fact, since we arrived during Midsummer Festival and most restaurants and attractions were closed they were helpful in booking us into a good restaurant that was open. The hotel apparently has no walking maps for tourists of Stockholm.

The common areas of the hotel are all very clean and there are a couple of historic areas that are really architecturally beautiful...but the rooms are sparsely furnished and rather impractical. In the effort to use Scandinavian designed furniture the Nobis misses the boat on what is practical for travelers. To wit - the table and chairs were too small to be usable for anything more than my phone, reading glasses and camera. Also, there lacked any meaningful lighting...the bedside reading lights needed to be swiveled in order to illuminate the room.

The bathroom was also very small and lacked shelves or counter space for basic toiletries and sundries.

The location of the hotel is excellent, very near great shopping, attractions, restaurants and public transportation. It's also a very nice neighborhood to just walk around.

It's not likely that I'd return with my family to the Nobis, for the money it just seems that there exists something more charming, personal and practical for being in such a great city like Stockholm. I would likely however, use it for business when my expectations are quite different than when traveling with my family on a vacation.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank BuonaNotteRoma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
London
Reviewed 26 July 2013

Nobis Hotel wasn't our first choice when selecting hotel but we had an amazing time there and would go back for sure. The breakfast was excellent and tasty with lots of nice breads, homemade jams and rooms, courtyard and all lounge areas great, bar really nice with great staff and cocktails - and the location is really excellent Its hard to find a flaw, if I had to mention one it would be that the rooms are very small.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2013

The Nobis is clearly considered one of the top hotels in Stockholm. The location is fantastic. Just a few minute walk from the water and all the local shopping districts. The staff were all helpful and friendly and all the communal and entertaining areas are beautifully designed.
So to the couple of gripes
I don't know if we were unlucky, we asked for a twin and ended up in a very oddly shaped room with a long hall way, tiny bedroom area with one small window that opened into the internal atrium.
Second gripe was the number of mistakes made on the bill, these were rectified no questions asked but I find this happens a lot with big hotels. So always, always, always check the detail of your final bill. We'd been charged incorrectly for expensive bottles of champagne by room service when what we'd actually been ordering was ice to chill the stuff we'd bought ourselves at duty free.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 24 July 2013

Conveniently located in a very nice area of Stockholm, Nobis is a walking distance to the main attractions of the City (Gamla Stam, Vasa Museum, etc). We actually walked from the main station to the hotel (roughly 10 minutes). Rooms are not huge but very nicely designed with comfy bed, great AC (not every hotel in Stockholm have them), good bathroom and fantastic FREE wifi. The wifi was good enough to watch a Netflix movie in high definition without missing a beat. Good unpaid wifi service is still very rare these days and Nobis was quite a nice surprise.
Breakfast is good but a bit crowded, even though the waitresses try really hard to get things done. The hotel bar gets busy in the summer with young good looking people at the outside area and quite good to have a cold beer at the end of a full day walking (and trust me on this: you walk a lot in Stockholm). The hotel had bicycles available but we did not use it them this time. Concierge service was a bit confusing as a lot of restaurants and bars close during July so we were recommended 2 that were actually closed (I guess someone should have called first). But that definitely did not spoil our stay. I would definitely recommend staying at the Nobis and if I ever go back to Stockholm.

Kent
Reviewed 23 July 2013

Well connected, central but quiet hotel. A 5 minute walk from the Ostermalmstorg T-bana metro station (follow signs for the Birger Jarlsgatan exit). Trams (No.7) & buses run every few minutes on Hamngatan to Djurgården (for the Vasamuseet, Gröna Lund, etc). It's also only a 10 minute walk away from Gamla Stan or Djurgården (20minutes). We had a room facing the internal courtyard which was very quiet, with excellent AC. All the staff were very friendly & efficient. The buffet breakfasts were first rate with a superb range of food & drinks (with both scandinavian & continental options).

Allentown
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The location of this hotel could not be better and the breakfast was great.
Our room faced the courtyard and was very comfortable. The reason I am not rating this hotel as excellent is that to me, this is not really a 5-star hotel. The lobby was funky and the courtyard beautiful, but the room was sparse and the hallways dark. I guess it's all about expectations. To me, this was a 4-star hotel when I expected a 5-star. I still recommend staying here as long as you know that.
The staff was very nice and attentive.

New York, New York
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The Nobis is a fabulous hotel in a fabulous location in a fabulous city. The staff was friendly and professional. Although the building is old, with great architectural detail, the decor is very modern. Rooms are spacious with adequate storage, internet / wifi access and big flat screen televisions. The marble bathroom had top rate amenities. Having a before dinner drink in the enclosed courtyard is a must. I ordered vodka and grapefruit juice and was given a choice of 'pink or white,' which was freshly squeezed right then and there. Dinner in their Italian restaurant was outrageous. My one complaint is that the hotel tends to be somewhat noisy due to the interior building material. Next time when I am in Stockholm, I will stay at the Nobis.

Room Tip: Try to get an interior courtyard facing room.