“Great Hotel”

Ranked #15 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Philadelphia, PA
“Great Hotel”
Reviewed 28 September 2009

I stayed at the Clarion Collection Tapto in early September for three nights with a special rate from Expedia that totaled less than $70 per night, an incredible bargain for such an expensive city. My single room on the third floor was spotless and roomy. I never saw housekeeping since I was out most of the day but the room was efficiently cleaned each day. The TV had a lot of English programming. The room on the third floor overlooked a quiet street. The building shares space with large housing developments but I never saw a lot of people. The closet could use more hangars.

The breakfast, as others mentioned, is excellent with organic foods, particularly the dairy products. It’s very large and includes wonderful breads; cold cuts; cereals; and eggs, sausage and bacon. There’s also a free buffet dinner that is very good, especially for the price. Others noted that there are no fried food and that it’s healthy, however, it is on the heavy side, particularly with dinner and the sauces. But it is very good and I saved lots of money. It’s the first time I visited a place where I was unconcerned about exploring the food culture because I was so full by the breakfast and dinner.

The hotel is located in a neighborhood outside of the main tourist areas, about a five-minute walk from the stadion metro (tunnelbana) stop. It’s a nice 20-to-30-minute walk to the center of town and Gamla Stan. On the efficient tunnelbana system it’s about five minutes. There’s also a bus stop even closer. It’s the 1 or 2 bus (blue bus) that will take you into town.

Front desk was very helpful throughout the stay. Check in and out was a breeze. They helped me with any questions I had. The lobby area was very attractive and large. An old motorcycle and an old military uniform are on display on the third floor hallway. There is no gym but there is a sauna and steam room, which work well and are open after 5 p.m. You have to contact the front desk to turn on the steam room. This was the only area that wasn’t up to the level of the rest of the hotel, but was still very good. I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank TonyonTA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
London
Reviewed 24 September 2009

Stayed at The Clarion Tapto for four days in September. Its an absolutely fantastic hotel. The staff are very friendly and helpful. Our room was huge, spotless, comfy and really modern. The shower was brilliant.
Stockholm is quite an expensive city so the breakfast and complimentary dinner was a great moneysaver. The food was great every day.
The hotel is about 15-20minute walk from the city. The walk is really pretty if you go by the fountain and the park but there are buses and a tube station within 5mins walk if you prefer public transport.
Stockholm is a stunning city. There is loads to see and do and the people are very nice and friendly. I would recommend getting the Stockholm 72 hour pass. Its great value. I would highly recommend going to The Vasa museum, The Nordiska museum, Gamla Stan, the Aquarium, the TV building (go at sunset) and the zoo in Stockholm. All are included in the Stockholm pass and well worthy of a visit.
One thing to note is that alcohol is very expensive in Stockholm as its sale is controlled by the government. So if you like a tipple take it with you. We took a couple of bottles of wine from the airport and were glad we did.
If you go to Stockholm and stay at the Clarion Tapto you are sure to have a great vacation. Have fun.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ShonaLondon
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in August and were quite satisfied with our stay. We originally booked a standard room which consisted of two single beds pushed together. When we checked in we were told we had been upgraded. Great! I had to laugh a little bit when we got to our room, though. The room was very nice and neat, with the bed, desk and chair, and a small bathroom off the room. But it was still absolutely tiny! I had to put my suitcase in the closet to clear up some floor space. I can’t imagine what we had been upgraded from, but it was good enough for us and I have no complaints. The young man that checked us in and all the other staff we dealt with throughout our stay were quite nice. The biggest bonus about this hotel is the value they provide for the money. It is fairly reasonably priced to begin with, especially in an expensive city like Stockholm. We booked online and paid ahead, which saved us a fair bit of money. The great part is, not only does the hotel offer free breakfast, but they also have a free dinner buffet every day, as well as tea and cakes around 3 in the afternoon. It’s a really nice option for people who might be on a bit more of a budget while in Stockholm. The location is not bad either, about a 5 minute walk from the Stadion T-Bana subway station. The hotel is 100% smoke free. There is a computer in the lobby with free internet access and access to a printer. There is wifi in the room, which is 25SEK for 24 hours, or free if you sign up for their points card, which is free.

The only thing I didn't like about the room was the bathroom. The shower was just a stall shower, and there was nothing separating the floor of the shower with the floor of the rest of the room, so water would just go underneath and get all over the floor. I thought this was a bit dangerous as the floor is tile. I just ended up putting a towel down everytime I showered and hanging it up to dry in between showers.

We paid on average 1000 SEK per night.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MissWanderlustCA
Kalmar, Sweden
Reviewed 3 September 2009

We stayed at this hotel for two nights, during the Easter rush.
However - the hotel never reflected any rush. Actually - we never noticed any crowd or stress. If it hadn't been for the amount of people coming and going, we probably wouldn't even have known that the Easter vacations were under way.

Our two rooms (one for us and one for the inlaws) were both very satisfying. They were quiet, spacious and clean. The hotel prides itself in their cleaning team - and they should. It's a very clean hotel and the fact that you can see photos of all the cleaners, and what rooms they are in charge of is a plus.
The breakfast buffet was amazing (and echological to a high degree, which rocks!) and the complimentary dinner was good too.
The stay also includes free coffee (or tea) in the afternoon - which makes this hotel a brilliant stay for those on a tighter budget, as Stockholm can be quite the expensive town to live/eat in.

The staff was very friendly and helpful, and this was overall a very, very pleasant stay.

We are planning on staying here again, next chance we get.

• Stayed April 2008, travelled with family
1 Thank Mikza
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 August 2009

We stayed for 4 nights in August. The hotel is reasonably located, about a 5 minute walk, from the Stadion T Bahn stop, just north of the city center. The city center is 5/10 minutes away, by bus or T Bahn, or a 20/25 minute walk.

We are very impressed with the great value, the hotel has to offer. The inclusion of the evening meal in the pricing, makes it a very affordable option for families, especially for those that are visiting Sweden for the first time. The kids can try out a range of Swedish food options at no extra charge. (We all know how fussy kids can be, when travelling abroad when it comes to food. Right?)

We had a very large family room, near the top floor, facing onto the courtyard. One double bed, and two fold-away single beds. The room was clean, and bright. It was able to accommodate our luggage too. The only negative, was that there was no air conditioning unit in the room. The nights can be surprisingly warm, in the Summer in Stockholm.

The range of food, at breakfast and dinner was more than enough to meet our needs. The food is generally the healthy sort. No deep fried stuff. Typically Swedish. They did have a Mexican evening, one day. It was lovely.

The staff were very helpful, and spoke excellent English.

There were queues at meals times, but not too long. The dining room is quite large, and people can go outdoors, it they want.

Coffee and buns were on offer in the lobby from 3pm to 6pm everyday. Another big plus.

There is a supermarket 50 meters away, which proved useful.

The bus stop is even closer than the T Bahn stop, and has four routes on offer.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Paul H
Steinbach, Canada
Reviewed 24 July 2009

This is not a fancy hotel, and I'm not giving it 5 stars because I think it's a 5 Star hotel, but rather because it represents 5 star value. It's nice, clean, friendly staff, decent location close to T station. When we arrived at the hotel we found out that not only was breakfast included, but evening dinner, as well - I've never known any other large hotels to offer this service. I would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank northropfrye
Buffalo, NY
Reviewed 3 July 2009

Tapto has very large rooms that offer seating, desk and a comfortable bed. However, the batroom is very unique because the shower is open the rest of the bathroom area and therefore water flows everywhere so watch your step. It's located in a quiet neighborhood that it is only a five minute walk to the subway station and it has a local supermarket next door to get supplies that you may need. It offers a breakfast and dinner buffet with a wide selection of foods that change everyday. I would recommend taking advantage of the breakfast and dinner since its expensive in scandinavia. The meals I must say was excellent, well thoughtout and unbelievably tasty. Compliments to the chef's. The staff were of great help in providing directions and suggestion. I will be certainly staying there on my next trip to Stockholm.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family