“Central Location, Nice Amenities, But Tiny Rooms”

Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel, Stockholm
Ranked #51 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
San Diego, California
“Central Location, Nice Amenities, But Tiny Rooms”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

I was in Stockholm on business for this trip. My business has me working near the airport, so access to the Arlanda Express was critical for me. I chose this Radisson Blu because of co-location with the train station, reviews, and price compared to other nearby hotels. Overall, satisfied with location and amenities. However, even with Stockholm being a known expensive city, I was hoping for a more wow factor for $300USD per night.

Location - Connected to the central train station (including Arlanda Express), this hotel is ideal if you are looking for quick easy access to the hotel once you arrive from the airport. A quick walk to Gamla Stan (old town), and a central starting point for walking and public transport based touring. Many shops, restaurants, bars, and walking streets nearby.

Arrival - I arrived in the evening, and the reception area was empty. I was immediately helped by the gentleman at the desk. His communication style was a bit awkward (English was very good), but made it through the check-in process easily. I was given clear directions to the elevators, my room, and wifi internet usage.

The Room - By far the most unimpressive part of my experience. The room was TINY (I do acknowledge that many rooms in Stockholm are small), but again, I was expecting a lot more for the price. I was travelling with a backpack and one carry-on sized roller suitcase, and there wasn't enough room for the three of us. My backpack had to live on the small desk in the corner, and I had to prop my small roller suitcase on the chair in the other corner. This was the only way I would be able to walk around on what limited floor space existed. No closets to speak of, only two very narrow slots offset from the wall with a small rod to hang not more than three business shirts. The decor helped to improve my impressions of the room, as it has clearly been modernized with modern-chic details (accent lighting, black marble with mother-of-pearl type sparkles, etc). The decor added a "fun" element to the room. The bathroom featured more of the dark sparkle flooring and counters. It served it's purpose with it's walk-in shower, toilet, and single vanity, however space was again an issue. The bed was comfortable, but not what I would call "plush." The TV was a sizable flat panel screen with a wide range of channels. My 9th floor view was of the central interior atrium, so with not much to look at except other guest windows, I kept my curtains closed most of the time. As a nice security measure, guests must have have a key to access both the floor within the elevator, but also to access the hallways on the floor (at least this was the case on the 9th floor near the SkyBar). The room also featured a safe (not large enough for my 15" laptop).

The Amenities - Wifi connectivity is complementary for hotel guests. The SkyBar features a wonderful view of the city. Beverages are not cheap, and food options are limited (light snacks). The LobbyBar on the ground level featured nice food options (the Meatballs and Gruyere Burger were very good) and full variety of beverages. Both bars were great locations to catch some World Cup action. Breakfast is served in the atrium above the ground floor and is well worth the money if you are eating from each of the stations (breads, fish, eggs, bacon/sausage, cheese, meat boards, fruit cereals, juices, coffee, and tea). If only going for a basic breakfast, there are options near the hotel which are more reasonably priced. I did not have the opportunity to eat at the Fisk restaurant, but I did note that the dining room was full for every night I walked past. The business center was easy to access, featuring complementary computer and printer access, as well as a nice coffee, water, and fruit station.

Check-Out - Slightly odd in that they had to run my credit card twice: once for food & beverage transactions, and a second time for lodging transactions. The receptionist mentioned that it was due to their systems setup. That aside, check-out was pretty easy.

Service - Pleasant enough when you get someone's attention, but not overwhelmingly welcoming. This goes for the bar staff, breakfast staff, and reception staff.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Royal Viking H, Director of Sales at Radisson Blu Royal Viking Hotel, Stockholm, responded to this review, 4 July 2014
Thank you so much for your detailed and kind review. . We always take the time to listen to constructive comments, so we can continually improve our services in order for you to be choosing us not only for the location but also the service, comfort and atmosphere.
Wishing you welcome back to us and hope to exceed your expectations.

Director of Sales

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Close to the railway station and the city centre, but very quiet room (double-double glazing) Everything you would expect a Radisson Blu to be. Just fine. (Why does this review have to be a minimum of 200 characters for goodness sake??)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo

1 Thank Adrian W
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to your next stay.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Stayed here for a couple of nights while travelling with my husband on business. The hotel is very well located for the shops (lots) the old town of Gamla Stan and also the central station. We came from the airport via the Arlanda express and it's next door. The lobby area is very nice, also used the sky bar and had a very nice mojito up there. I was disappointed with the room. Very basic with a hair dryer that looked like it was from the 1950's. The breakfast was very nice, with a good selection of fruit, muesli, breads etc, I used the gym, which was in the basement, a very nice size gym with lots if equipment. Staff very nice and very helpful concierge.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for your detailed and kind review. We are delighted to read you enjoyed your stay with us and hope to have you back with us the next time you visit Stockholm!

Nice, France
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Set for 3 months of Winter in Australia we had just scraped through Norwegians weight limit. Wheeling access was high on our priority list when selecting this hotel for a 2 night midsummer weekend in Stockholm. Couldn't really fault the comfort and charming reception. Cupboard space was widely distributed , extremely compact and invisible so easy to leave stuff. Shower was great ,no bath but super bench space in the bathroom.
Wifi worked mostly on Floor 7. Great view of the church near the station looking across the water to Gamlastan. Black out curtains ca 85%. Location brilliant taxis freely available and totally quiet

Room Tip: Rooms looking south have good views. Also Eastern sun good for early rises.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Milan, Italy
Reviewed 1 July 2014

I have a difficulty understanding how this hotel has 4 stars.

The horror movie starts when one walks into the room: tiny (!) with outdated furniture and appliances. The TV must be from the 90's with only a few local channels and a huge remote control with 6 buttons; the bed, wardrobe, chairs - everything is used and abused. Only two towels, not even a hand towel and obviously no slippers nor bath robe. With all the respect, but I was put into a handicap room without being warned/asked if I was fine with it, and this resulted in not having a proper shower facility and other inconveniences in the bathroom.

Breakfast was OK. The first time in my life couldn't eat scrambled eggs: they were sour, could be it is a Swedish recipe.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback and for taking the time to write about your experience. We are sorry to read you were not satisfied during your stay with us. The renovation of the rooms you stayed in are to be started in august this year. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to us in order to exceed your expactations.
Milan, Italy
Reviewed 1 July 2014

perfect for a weekend. It's ok for couples but also for groups. Very closed to central station, metro, the old city and the most beautiful disco in center of the town the spa would need to be improved. Moreover, it is often too crowded and chaotic. in any case the hotel is very raccomanded

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends

Cagliari, Italy
Reviewed 30 June 2014

I have had an excellent stay in Stockholm. Hotel was very good for its excellent position; staff was very kind; my room was comfortable. Breakfast showed plenty of food also for people suffering dietary intolerances and/or allergies.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled solo