“Just what you want in the Old Town”
Review of Victory Hotel

Victory Hotel
Ranked #9 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 6 February 2008

We loved the Victory. It was the end of a few weeks travelling and we were getting a little tired moving around. The Victory, with its nautical, "old world charm", interesting historical bits and pieces throughout , small gifts and attention to detail was just the thing to keep us going. Right in the middle of the Old Town, and so it was quite an enchanting couple of days.

Because we were there at a quiet time, our party of 6 took a suite and a couple of medium rooms. They were very comfortable and so I cant really comment on those who have had small rooms --perhaps see what deal can be done if you are going out of main season? While you're doing that, you might see if breakfast can be included as I agree with another reviewer that, atmospheric as the cellar restaurant is, the price was on the high side and the young people looking after it were more enthusiastic than polished at keeping the food, cutlery, plates, coffee etc going.

But that was a small quibble. The other thing we loved was that the staff was very obliging and unobtrusively helpful from start to finish. You can tell we enjoyed a couple of days in Stockholm and would be keen to go back to the Victory when we get back there.

• Stayed: January 2008, travelled with family

Reviewed 4 December 2007

I stopped here in August this year for 2 nights. My friend & I each had a single room.
We both paid £130 for the 2 nights.I booked them through the hotel's own website.

The rooms were very small but I must say that they did have a lot of character to them. They were very clean, the bathroom was spotless. They also provide you with slippers & a bathrobe.

The mini bar was well stocked and not too expensive considering we were in Stockholm.

The hotel is in a central location on Gamla Stan. It was about 3 mins walk to the metro station, and the same to the main square.

Not sure that it's a 5* hotel though. I assume the hotel has given themselves this rating ;-)

I left behind a t-shirt in my room. I contacted the hotel to let them know that my other friend(he lives in Stockholm) would call to collect it. But unfortunately the t-shirt was not handed in by (I presume) the cleaner. This obviously left a sour note with me but the manager Magnus did recompense me for the t-shirt.

So overall, I would stay there again and also recommend it to friends,etc.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with friends
2  Thank jeep_potter
Reviewed 23 September 2007

The good points for the Victory hotel are that it is in a superb location in the old town - close to everything you'd really want on a visit to this charming city. The public areas of the hotel are very swish, with lots of interesting nautical things to look at. The bar, restaurant etc are very attractive and look expensive and shiny.

The downside, after seeing the public areas, was the bedroom we stayed in on the first floor, well, I'm not sure whether we just were unlucky, but the room was not that reasonably sized (and in our opinion, not 5 star). The bathroom we had was very nicely put together with the Moulton Brown toiletries, and bathrobes and slippers, but very small, but OK. However, the bedroom itself was a disappointment, although themed around a ships cabin with paintings of ships etc, it was a little tacky, it just looked a little tired and 1980's. It was just such a surprise (and disappointment) having seen the public areas to walk into a room (the doors opened out into the corridor due to lack of space) like this.

However, the bed was lovely and comfy, chocolate on the pillow each evening a nice touch and the staff were very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank ekul
Reviewed 10 September 2007

Victory is placed in a quiet side street in the old-town (Gamla Stan) a stone throw from the busier tourist shopping attraction, short walk from the Royal Palace and onwards to the Parliament building and new-town.

Friendly and efficient service, Hotel and rooms are themed around old ships and rooms akin to captains' cabins etc - nicely done. Reasonably sized room, large bathroom with jacuzzi. Modern, light and airy it is not.

It is 5 star and priced accordingly.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled on business
1  Thank Henley_Scottish
Reviewed 4 September 2007

I'm just back from a weekend in Stockholm. The Vicory Hotel is in a perfect location in the old town, walking distance from most attractions. The hotel is decorated on a ship's theme but the single rooms were ideal. Furnished like a ship's cabin, the attention to detail was wonderful and although small had a really comfortable bed and duvet. Ensuite had excellent shower and heated floor. Molton Brown tolietries made a nice extra touch.
The staff were very friendly and went out of their way to make restuarant bookings, check locations, etc. I will return.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 July 2007

I checked into the Victory Hotel last weekend with my wife, mother-in-law and baby. The hotel is situated in Old Town, and it can be a quaint part of the city during the quiet months of fall, spring, and winter or it can be analogous to a boardwalk on a crowded beach in the summer with numerous tourists congesting the narrow passageways and small streets. I had reserved two rooms - a suite -- and a single. I came by taxi in the rain, and nobody offered to help me with my bags until I was standing in front of reception. The staff on the phone prior to my arrival was quite helpful, and I must remark
before my check-in, they were very attentive via a few phone conversations. The lobby was cluttered with nautical artifacts that one may find to be "cute" or (cl) utterly annoying. I was an observer of the latter. Should you be a bit claustrophobic or taller than average height, this is where the angst begins, and it shall continue in the elevator, hallways leading to the room, and in the room itself. The single that I had arranged for my mother-in-law was no more than a broom closet with a small bed along side the wall.
The lift taking us to her floor had larger floor space. The other room, the "suite" was similar to the common areas, and it was unmindfully decorated with more oceanic pictures, cheesy antiques, and boat models. It was two small rooms stuck together totaling no more than 30 m2. I have stayed on seafaring vessels with more living space. Everything about this hotel is miniature, including the TV that sat on the desk facing the bed that lay inches away from one's feet while lying on the bed. The toilet and shower were in separate rooms; the toilet room did not allow for one to move in any particular direction other than down, to the seat. The shower room had two normal sized sinks and a large mirror but the shower itself did not allow enough headroom for me to stand and take a shower. The beds and linen were comfortable but nothing special. So in short (no pun intended), this hotel is way overrated as a “five-star” accommodation, and I don’t know how the hotel manages to maintain this distinction. It is a “three-star” at best. I left a day early and checked into the Rival Hotel which was much more to my family’s liking, and about one-third less the cost. Try Sturehof for lunch and
Wedholms Fisk for dinner, exellent sole and turbot.

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled with family
7  Thank tesmoscow
Reviewed 13 July 2007

I stayed here for one night (which subsequently turned into two because I was loving Stockholm so much) last week.

LOCATION

The hotel is in the heart of the old town (Gamla Stan). It's an easy ten minute walk from the (very impressive) Arlanda Express train. Just take a right out the station and head to the water, cross the first bridge and you're there).

It's tucked on the corner of Gamla Stan in a lovely quiet and cute street. It's 30 seconds away from Gamla Stan tube station. I can't stress how beautiful the old town is, sure a couple of streets are a bit touristy, but it oozes charm, character and history. Americans would call it 'cute'. It's also slap bang central, so if you want to head to some cool bars it's only a ten minute walk to areas like Södermalm which offer great night life.

GENERAL APPEARANCE AND ROOM

The hotel itself is beautiful outside - in. The front desk is very swanky. Outside each room there is a picture of an old sea fairing Swede and their boat, which I thought was a fun touch.

I was in a smoking room on the second floor. My room was really rather small, but that didn't bother me. It had a little old TV which showed the usual English channels. Mini bar. Nice furniture. Comfy bed. Quiet. The room was cleaned to a high standard. My view was nice, overlooking a courtyard.

The bathroom was exceptional. Really nice fittings and very tasteful. The shower was big, not awfully strong, but better than most hotel showers.

Oh, and the room came with slippers \o/

RECEPTION AND STAFF

The staff were lovely. I mean really lovely. I mean really, really lovely. I received a genuinely warm welcome in beautifully spoken English accompanied by real smiles. I was really enamored by the beautiful blond girl (in my attached photo), who is as lovely as she looks. She was very helpful when I was asking for maps and things.

There was also a young lad with short hair who was equally as helpful and friendly, and of massive assistance and efficiency when I extended my stay for a second night (because I was having such a good time in Stockholm).

OTHER STUFF

The breakfast was nice. Big spread catering for all preferences; the scrambled eggs being surprisingly nice. The bar and restaurant were being renovated when I was there so I can't say what they were like.

All in all, it was a bit on the pricey side for me, but the character, location and staff made for a very pleasant stay and I'd go back, no question.

Also - Stockholm is a truly great city which offers something for everyone - and more importantly the Swedish people are so friendly and good natured, they really made my stay.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled solo