“Not so service minded staff”
Review of Victory Hotel

Victory Hotel
Ranked #8 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Malmo, Sweden
“Not so service minded staff”
Reviewed 29 November 2013

Stayed for one night only.
My colleague had talked with reception and arrranged an early check in since I would be arriving after an overnight flight. Of course (..) the front desk knew nothing about this and the room I initially had been assigned was not ready. Since I insisted I got a different room which was tiny but well cleaned and ready for me.
I was there for a meeting which took place in the adjacent conference facilites across the street. The conference room was ok but the area shared with other meeting/participants for coffee was under dimensioned.
When checking out the lift did not work (or at least there was a sign on the call button saying it was out of order). When after taking the stairs w my bagsI asked the front desk guy "How come the elevator doesn't work?" he just shrugged, pointed at it and stated "It's here and it works."
So I insisted and told him there was a note (in red) on the call button on the 4th floor saying the opposite and he just said "there is nothing wrong with it" .. Eventually one of his colleagues intervened and got out from behind the desk and did the same discovery as I: the call button was red and read "out of order" . By then I had become slightly frustrated and very annoyed so I left.
In short service would benefit from a more proctive approach.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank MarieMalmo
Mats B, Manager at Victory Hotel, responded to this review, 20 January 2014
Dear MarieMalmo,

Thank you so much for your valuable feedback! It really sounds like one or two things could have been handled a little better from our side. It did not help to have an elevator that chose to have a day off when we had a full hotel, or when all conference delegates arrived for breaks at the same time! We have discussed your review and how we can be more proactive to avoid guest annoyances when something unexpected happens in the future. I hope to see you back again in the future so we get the chance to show you what we are really up to!

Best regards,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Finnish first
madrid
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I got a reservation via booking. Very good price, less than 100€.

The location is perfect in the center of the old town.

Check in was probably the fastest I've ever done in my life (not even 1 minute). Reception staff are just lovely, smiles and welcoming every single time. This is a family ran hotel, and it shows.

Rooms are not huge but cozy enough. Only problem is that room is ageing, you can ser that in the carpets and some furniture. Also, the bathrooms could use some new deco.

That said, it's really the only thing worth pointing out.

They recommended a couple of restaurants, all very good. Arranged taxis quickly, map, advice...

Breakfast has a big variety and good quality.

Long story short. Gem in the center of Stockholm, good for business or pleasure. I dont really know the standard rate, but for less than 100€ it was a no-brainer!!

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank yocastus
Dear yocastus,

Thank you for your review! I am so happy you enjoyed your stay and I hope soon you will even enjoy us even further! We are now taking the next step in our improvement plan by renovating bathrooms and other parts of the hotel that needs some love and care! I hope to see you back soon!
San Diego, ca
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I stayed here for two night and had a fantastic time. The staff was so friendly and helpful and the location is perfect - right in the middle of the old city. Easy to walk everywhere. I had a room on the 5th floor with all the comforts of home. Comfortable bed with down pillows and extra blankets if needed. It was a small suite with a sitting area and extra bed. Breakfast was included and was excellent. Lots of choices from eggs to fruit to yogurt and many delicious breads. This is the second time i have stayed here and would highly recommend it to all.

Room Tip: I asked for a large room with a renovated bathroom.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank SandraAnneSanDiego
Dear SandraAnneSanDiego,

Thank you so much for your great review! We get so happy and encouraged to get so much positive feedback! We hope to see you back at Victory Hotel soon!

Best regards,
Guildford,UK
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The hotel is in an excellent position for sightseeing, in the old town, near the Royal palace and cathedral. Plenty of restaurants nearby. About 15minutes walk from Central station, and in easy walking distance to the ferries/boat trips and to Sodermalm. The single rooms we had were on top floor with small window onto street and a window in the roof and were nicely furnished with modern bathroom.The bed was a bit firm for me, but that is just me. Rooms are very warm - seems to be a common thing in Stockholm as we found all restaurants, shops, etc, very warm - so we needed the window open. Excellent breakfast with fruit, cereals, pancakes, bacon &eggs, etc.

Room Tip: Of the 2 single rooms we had, room 503 had a larger bathroom with a window.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank tog
Dear Tog,

Thank you for your review! I hope to see you soon with us again!

Best regards from all off us!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The hotel is in a great location and the staff were wonderful; however, the hotel is very much in need of updating. The bedrooms have a too much old furniture - not antiques, are a little dark - even with all the curtains opened, and could use additional blankets on the bed - only one in mid-October, but the bed was comfortable, the internet was easy to use, and the Jacuzzi tub made up for a lot. The best part though was the staff - everyone spoke English and they went above and beyond to be helpful with taxis, directions, recommendations and reservations, and, in particular, calling the airport numerous times a day for a couple of days to track down my luggage lost in transit - a huge thank you for that.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank amiezil
Dear amiezil,

Thank you for your review! Its great to hear about your experiences when staying with us and I am especially glad that you found our staff helpful and that we were able to help track your lost luggage! Regarding the hotels need for an update I happy to tell you that there are ongoing renovations being done as I write this! Hopefully you will have an even better stay when you come back!
Best regards from me and the rest of the gang at Victory Hotel!
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed 16 October 2013

We had a great time at the Victory.
Ok, we were lucky and at arrival we were upgraded to a Captains Suite, non the less I cannot quite understand why people would be complaining about small rooms, after all it is an old building in the oldest part of Stockholm. If you think this is small try some of the 4 star hotels in Paris or Rome!

The location is absolutly perfect in the old part of Stockholm
All staff were very friendly and helpful.
The hotel was clean and the facilities great
The bathroom was very well stocked with toiletries
Granted, its not exactly cheap but I still think it was good value for money
Initially I was a bit concerned about the noise from the street but that was really not an issue, not even Saturday evening.

Ok, there is one or two things to improve...
- The shower could be re-tiled (I am being very picky here)
- WiFi should be encrypted and not open

I can whole heartedly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: There are two bars in the hotel. A wine bar with a great range of Burgundy wines as well as a Bistro...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank swissdiving
Mats B, Ägare at Victory Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear Swissdiving,

Thank you for your review! Its great to hear you enjoyed your stay and we are looking forward to your next visit! Hope to see you soon!
TorG
Reviewed 14 October 2013

Having come from a very Scandinavian modern hotel in Copenhagen (First Hotel Skt. Petri), the Victory Hotel was almost overwhelming. Every available space is packed with historical shipping memorabilia, including a large model ship that sat over our bed. We stayed in a suite (“Captains Grand Cabin”) and it was fairly small, but what you would expect in an older European hotel. The bathroom could certainly have used some updating, but not so bad as to detract from the overall charm of the hotel. Even if you do not stay here, be sure to visit the Tweed Bar in the hotel. You’ll get the full nautical-theme experience and the drinks are fantastic. For us, the primary draw of the hotel was its location in Gamla Stan. While we were a bit worried that the area would be too touristy, we were pleasantly surprised about both how convenient the location was to travel throughout Stockholm and the number of quality restaurants and bars in Gamla Stan itself. While not a place I’d choose to stay for business, I will definitely return to the Victory Hotel when I am in Stockholm for vacation.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank TorG
Mats B, Ägare at Victory Hotel, responded to this review, 18 October 2013
Dear TorG,

Thank you for your review! I love to hear that you enjoyed your stay and also had time to visit Tweed! Regarding bathrooms they are in the process of an update, but we are only half-way through (oct 2013). So next time you visit us you will maybe enjoy your stay even more!