“Nice Boutique Hotel”

Ranked #11 of 155 Hotels in Stockholm
Charleston, South Carolina
“Nice Boutique Hotel”
Reviewed 2 October 2013

My wife and I recently returned from a 3 night stay at the Hotel Diplomat and I found our stay to be very good, but but with a few minor flaws. We had booked a room that was supposed to come with a balcony and included breakfast, however upon checking in, the desk agent informed me that breakfast was not included in my room rate. It peeved me a bit because he was not proactive in trying to resolve the situation. Instead I had to pull up my email showing the booking details and was then requested by another staff member to email it to the hotel. Our room itself was nicely appointed, albeit on the small side, but did not feature a balcony as we had thought. I didnt press this issue because I was tired and my wife was happy with the room. My only complaint about the room was the bathroom shower was ridiculously small. We ate breakfast twice and just felt that while the atmosphere was cool, the food quality and selection were just so-so. A great perk of the hotel is its complimentary private use of the sauna and whirlpool, which my wife and I used on 2 occasions and I highly recommend it. Back to a note of service: overall I found that the service could really use improvement here. Staff did seem to warm up towards the end of our stay, but they seemed a bit standoffish and unpersonal in the beginning. My friends who live in Stockholm told me that this is somewhat common regarding Swedes and customer service. Who knows....nonetheless I would still recommend Hotel Diplomat for it's charm and location. Happy travels!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank EPScarlata

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (203)
  • Arabic first
  • Finnish first
  • Turkish first
Crete, Greece
Reviewed 2 October 2013

The hotel met precisely the expectations i had when i booked. I love airy rooms with big windows looking out to some nice view and i think that the view from my deluxe room at Diplomat is hard to beat. Plus the hotel has managed to retain the old world charm without looking outdated or hideously trendy. Almost all the staff working at the front desk is top notch-so polite, smiling and helpful!

A tiny gripe was the room heater as this is central supervised and one can not switch it off and the bathroom could actually use a small update (it still looks and works fine just i am not a big fun of bathtubs with shower curtain).

All in all a great hotel at a decent price!!!!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
new york
Reviewed 1 October 2013

I do not disagree with any of the reviews. But our experience was very poor. In our opinion this hotel needs a good manager who will hold peoples feet to the fire when things go wrong.We had booked a double bedded room and I called the morning of arrival, to say we would arrive at 10.00pm and confirmed a double bed..no problem..we got there and were shown a room with twin beds...the receptioinst said she would have it fixed and we went to have a drink in the bar...back to the room at 11.00pm and nothing changed. I talked to the lady the next day and she said she forgot as she had so many thjngs on her mind. The last thing she had on her mind was not obviously us.
End of third day came back around 5.00pm and wanted a nap..to our horror room not made up..went to receptionist and he said we had only booked for 2 days..I showed him confirmation showing 3 days..he shrugged his shoulders and said not his problem. Called reservations and they said my reservation had been changed to two days "by whom?" Oh I think it is our fault..will send a bottle of wine to the room.
Seems to me personnel are not well trained and it does not seem to matter if things do not go well for customers. That is why I think a tough manager could definiteley improve the hotel.
On our way back we stayed at the Radisson....we had no problems..everything went very well.

Room Tip: room at front
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank begley85
Veronica B, Manager at Hotel Diplomat, responded to this review, 11 October 2013
Dear guest,

At Hotel Diplomat, the customer is always our priority. We would like to apologise for the inconvenience that you are describing. As far as we can see, there must have been some severe misunderstanding leading up to these events. We will look into the matter. Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

Kind Regards,

Team Diplomat
daswo
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The staff at the diplomat are friendly and helpful. The room, although not big, was comfortable, clean and well outfitted. The elevator is an experience and takes one back to the 30's. TV was good with multiple channels in various languages, so not just the news in english. My only complaint about the room was the bathroom had no curtain or shade. My room faced a wall, so no too much to worry, but still. Something about having an open window in the bathroom is off putting. Breakfast was very well done, with bakery fresh pastries, fresh fruit and what tasted very much like fresh orange juice. The melon could have been removed from rind, but that is petty. The eggs were runny, and to some That is good, but I like mine fluffy and light. All in all, a good hotel worth a visit and I certainly will be coming back.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room overlooking the harbor.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
Petersfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2013

Just to add to to the other rave reviews, this is a lovely hotel. It does overlook the water but you pay a premium for such a view and we settled for a non-view room but outside our room was a classy seating area which made it feel as if our room ( 106) was part of a suite.
The staff are great and very helpful.

There was no kettle in our room and we are British enough to need tea last thing at night and first thing in the morning so I asked for a flask of hot water but instead they sent up a tray with cups, tea, kettle etc and we were very happy campers.

Just over the road ( literally) there is the quay from which you can do a fab tour of the archipelago on a converted steam boat which is about 100 years old and very charming. Look for the red sign with an anchor on it and it cost about £24 for two and a half hours)

Room Tip: Sweden is expensive so a room with a view does add onto the cost. We managed without and save about...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
NY
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We stayed at The Hotel Diplomat at the end of June - it was lovely. A view of the open sky over the water - for specifics, the sky started to lighten at 2.47am - definitely ask for a room at the front. We had two adjoining rooms, for those interested in these things - it worked excellently. Clean and comfortable. The restaurant is delicious, the staff helpful and pleasant - not that we met any Swedes who weren't. The location suited us perfectly. And Stockholm is amazing!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Hugosdaughter
Frederiksberg, Denmark
Reviewed 22 September 2013

I'm from Stockholm but I now live in Copenhagen. I took my bf over to Sthlm for a weekend and Diplomat is one of my favorite hotels in the city. Great location, nice rooms with great roomservice - try the burgers!:-) Placed by the water.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple