“Wonderful Hotel”
Review of Scandic Gamla Stan

Scandic Gamla Stan
Ranked #46 of 154 Hotels in Stockholm
Reviewed 10 September 2011

At a friend's recommendation, I stayed at the Rica Gamla Stan for 12 nights in late August, early Sept. I was not disappointed. The location is superb: I used Gamla Stan as a base and gradually explored other parts of the city and then the Baltic Sea. The great breakfast and the appealing location made getting up a pleasure every morning. Twelve days is the longest I have ever stayed at a hotel. In that entire time, the staff couldn't have been more helpful in small and big ways. One review mentioned the loud music and talk at night from the local clubs. I can usually sleep through anything, but the loud talk did wake me up one weekend night. My only complaint, and a small one. Just a superb hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank JohnDunlop

Reviewed 3 September 2011

We - family of 3, including our 5-year old son - stayed here for 3 nights while we explored Stockholm. The room was small - barely room to move, especially when we spread out our son's mattress - but we never, ever felt claustrophobic at all. We loved getting back to our room in the evenings, enjoying a cup of complimentary coffee or tea and a cookie, and the comfortable chair/bed for reading, breeze from the window that opened to the quaint street, and clean (and spacious) bathroom. This was the most expensive place we stayed on our Swedish trip, but it was worth it for the quality and location. The breakfast was excellent - far more choices than you could ever fit on one plate, including daily multivitamins and omega-3's! The staff were always friendly and willing to answer questions. We walked everywhere from here, never taking transport until we headed back to the airport. The ferry over to Skansen and the Vasa museum is just around the corner, and it's just across the bridge to a nice shopping street off of Gamla Stan. Gamla Stan itself is worth a day or more of wandering.

We ate at several places within about a block of the hotel, all for modest (by Stockholm standards) prices, including: Cafe KladKakkan (grilled sandwiches, treats, decaf coffee!), Cafe Mineur (cozy basement, great spot to hang out for an evening with a book or game or catching up with friends), Pizzeria Niva (on the same street as the hotel, really decent pizza, better than I'd expected).

Suggested activities (read: appropriate for a 5-year old!): Skansen (!awesome!), Vasa Museum (awesome), transportation and toy museum (lots of buses and trams to climb in and out of and quiet - much less visited than other attractions), changing of the guard (make sure to get there early enough to get a view of the courtyard and to check the schedule - the guards aren't always on horseback), and general walking and exploring.

We would certainly return to this hotel if we were back in Stockholm, and we were happy to be able to stay an extra night when a cancelled flight delayed our departure!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank SonomaGal
Reviewed 25 August 2011

The location is great, in the old city and steps away from bars, restaurants, and the metro. This hotel offers excellent value both for the location and the service they offer: truly nice people on staff, a good breakfast with a wide choice, good wifi (free). The room was very small, but it was quiet, clean, and had fresh air, which (for me) are more important.

Room Tip: ask for a room off the street; this is a lively area at night
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 August 2011

We enjoyed the 'old school' charm of this hotel superbly located in the Center of Stokholm. Rooms are very small. Quite location despite Center location!
Great breakfast that closes a bit too early in the morning if you want to sleep long.
Go there if you hate design hotels and are looking for more history.

• Stayed: August 2011
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This is usually the kind of hotel I love. I love older buildings, and this hotel is one of the oldest in Gamla Stan, so it has charm, old wood floors, stone staircases, and the tiniest elevator (hiss, in Swedish) you're likely to find.

The price is too high, in my opinion, for one or two reasons. One, although it's the high season in Gamla Stan right now, and one expects prices to be high, I paid significantly less per day ($US) in Paris two weeks ago at a similar quality hotel. So that was irksome, because this was a pretty room, grievously located overlooking an unlovely, smelly (it's summer, after all) alley leading into Gamla Stan.

Shutting the windows to keep out the noise of the party revellers attending the bars until 2 a.m., means I didn't get much sleep, since I need fresh air (which is in short supply in Gamla Stan, a medieval, winding cobblestone city, where I saw a rat one night, scurry off from a restaurant. Lovely). The breakfast, however, is phenomenal, and made up for a lot, since it's included in the price. Wireless is also included, although I didn't use it.

I think that given the noisy, smelly, rather dank location, overlooking an alleyway and a business across the way, where people are at work at 9 a.m. and could, ostensibly, have looked in while I was standing at my window in a state of undress, combined with a somewhat uncomfortable bed and a TINY bathroom, where you can sit on the toilet while washing your hands—great for multitasking—and windows you can't close because there's no air conditioning, with party noise rivalling any of the big cities of the world, means: lower the price and/or install air conditioning.

Ultimately, this hotel, chosen for its old-world charm (which it has; it's very pretty) and its location (which is right in Gamla Stan, within easy walking distance of the metro and the Central train station) turned out to be its least charming elements. If I go to Gamla Stan again, which I sincerely hope I do, I will seek out something quieter and less smelly, not so near the bars. If you sleep with your windows closed in the middle of summer in Sweden, however, you'll probably be fine. I stayed for 3 nights, and at the end, I wished it had only been two.

Room Tip: I'm not sure there are better rooms. They all seem to overlook the street.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
1  Thank Alison G
Reviewed 28 July 2011

Very charming, room pretty and comfortable, though we heard street noise even from the top floor. It was the weekend and there was a band on a barge nearby. It quieted down by 10 or 11 though. Really great breakfast. The staff was wonderful and welcoming and accommodated us when we arrived early in the morning. There is a nice terrace on the top floor where you can go out and smoke or relax with a book. Fantastic location, very convenient, even though Gamla Stan is touristy.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank ats134
Reviewed 26 July 2011

When I booked the hotel, I thought it was a four star and indeed continued to think so throughout my stay until I happened to see a sign outside the entrance indicating that it was a three star hotel. Conclusion: for a three star establishment it is very good.

The good points: it is located in the Galma Stan just a couple of hundred metres from Gamla Stan metro station (one stop froö Central Station). The decor is in a nice antique style and has plenty of character (the bathroom was very modern though with nice products!) which makes a pleasant change fron the often austere IKEA, "could-be-anywhere style" interiors one finds in many Scandinavian hotels. For me, this was the main plus point as I like to stay in places that have a bit of character to them. The room was well appointed and cosy. The breakfast was reasonably varied. Staff were friendly and helpful.

The less good points: there was quite a lot of noise on the street outside at night with party revellers and, as there was no A/C the choice was either to have the window open and hear the noise or to close the window and be rather warm. I guess this is only really a problem in summer. The room was ´compact´, i.e. small but ok for one person. If two people were staying in the room, though, it would be a bit of a squash. I think I was probably given a smaller room because of single occupancy and I could imagine that, where possible, two people would be put in larger rooms. The breakfast room was a bit small so some people ended up waiting for tables. Given the physical structure of this centuries old building, however, there would not be much possibility to enlarge the breakfast area.

Overall, it was a nice place to stay and I would in general recommend it - but two sets of friends staying on other hotels (4 & 5 star) managed to get deals whereby they paid less than I did.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo